Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: How big do I need to get???
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:05 am 
Manatee

Whats your bodyfat %? With water and bodyfat you will cut a lot of lbs remember...

Facebook - Add me

Post subject: Re: How big do I need to get???
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:18 am 
Manatee

Is there any easy way to check bodyfat at home? During this gaining phase I have lost my lower abs, although I can still sort of make out my upper abs.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:29 am 
Manatee

Bodyfat calipers...

Facebook - Add me

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:16 pm 
Manatee

itsjustrobbieok wrote:
Bodyfat calipers...

I know, but those are fairly innacurate from what I recall from my personal training days. I will have to see where I can grab some.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:22 pm 
Manatee

OK, this is embarrassing but here are som pics I took in the mirror. Not that great. I am also embarrassed because I have gained some chub since last August. I was in great shape in August at 210 lbs. I then hurt my shoulder and stopped heavy lifting for 4 months! I was told to keep eating big but as a result gained fat. We also went to Disney World for a week and although we walked a lot, I ate a lot of bad food! Lots of deserts.
Anyway I am not in as good a shape now and I am frustrated. I lost a lot of definition and even the peak on my biceps is mostly gone and looks smaller. All I can do is keep eating better and working out and see where it takes me. I just woke up when I took these pics. I am right hand dominant and that is one problem I have, my right arm is always larger than the left.

Last edited by boardn10 on Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: How big do I need to get??? Pics included!
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:24 pm 
Manatee

You won't need to lose much and you will look pretty awesome mate! Just go on a really small calorie deficit diet, do it nice and slow and go by the mirror.

Facebook - Add me

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:23 pm 
Manatee

Thanks, I am still in a weight gain phase but I think I am gaining too much fat. I am not used to carrying this much extra fat. I have been doing three days a week and will be going back to a food day split soon.
I will try to get some better pics after getting a pump.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:48 pm 
Manatee

Am I showing too much in these photos?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:45 am 
Elephant

Can tell easily that you're well muscled man, it's not gonna take much fat loss to look shredded. Looking good!

How are the legs?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:09 am 
Manatee

Legs are similar although I fall more into the Arnold camp, BIGGER UPPER BODY. So, is it possible I could compete, even if I didn't place? Just would be nice to have the experience. I feel my shoulders are lacking.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:14 am 
Manatee

Anyone can compete!

Facebook - Add me

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:07 am 
Manatee

It is funny, but feels good when you guys say I don't have much fat to lose. I am not used to carrying this much fat and when I look in the mirror, I think I look fat.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:18 pm 
Manatee

But my original question is, am I big enough?

I only recently got into squatting and deadlifting, so I sometimes wonder what my true potential could be. Of course, now I have a hip flexor injury.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:56 pm 
Manatee

I am 216 lbs. Should I try to get over 220? Maybe 225 - 230?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:27 pm 
Stegosaurus

It all depends on what you're ultimately hoping to accomplish!

If you just want to get on stage at an entry-level contest and see how it goes with trying a competition, I'd probably just work on putting on a bit more mass before cutting and go out for the sheer fun of giving it a go. If you find an entry-level natural show with a smaller turnout, you're going to have a much better chance of placing than if you go to a highly competitive show with a lot of people in your bracket who are all super-serious about what they do and live bodybuilding 100%.

I mentioned it before, but I would say that you would definitely benefit from finding out what BB shows will be coming up in your area in the next few months, and check one out as a spectator before you compete. You'll see what guys with similar height/build types will be coming in looking like, you'll get to see the competition and everyone's routines, and watch for how people are handling themselves through the day. That, and if you talk with some of the competitors post-show, you might make some great contacts for others who can help you get in top form for stepping on stage, too. Contests are always a great place to meet more like-minded people, even if they aren't vegan themselves, they can still offer a lot of great advice about contest prep and how to get through your first show. If you're serious about wanting to be a great bodybuilder and to eventually place well in shows, the only way to learn is to get out there, both to compete and to learn from those around you. But, you won't know until you get out there, either to spectate or to step on stage for that first time.

Overall, from what you're showing, it looks like with a bit more mass and some cutting, you could do fairly well out there (again, it will all vary depending on the level of competition). At a glance, I'd say that perhaps some more lat/upper back width and thickness would be one area to put a bit more work into for the only thing that's showing to be a bit behind the rest, shoulders maybe, but they will "pop" more with fat loss even if they don't grow as much, unlike the middle/upper back. Just keep at it -of course, the bigger you get while staying lean the better, but check out a comp first if you can to see what you'll be up against, and if need be, you can then take more time to bring up anything you need before finally hitting the stage in the future!

Last edited by VeganEssentials on Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.