Vegan supplements?

I absolutely love Vega! I kinda like Deva & Freeda, as I believe they are almost 100% Vegan. A few others have Vegan one, such as Country Life: their Vegan supplements are certified Vegan by the American Vegetarian Association. All but 5 Buried Treasure liquid supplements are Vegan (their prenatal isn't, nor a few others with honey or shark cartilage). Floradix Liquid Iron has a Vegan version: the regular one has honey, so go for the one that's Yeast & Gluten free. Solaray has some Vegan options with veggy caps. Garden of Life has a raw & Vegan meal replacer, protein powder, & greens.

Rainbow Light has a Vegan multi-vitamin/mineral. Genuine Health has a new Vegan protein powder supplement & even a fiber one called Go4trim, in powder form (not their pill form). Trace Mineral Research has a list of which supplements of theirs are Vegan on their website.

There are many others I can't think of right now lol

All great recommendations by Mina, only one in there that I'd probably steer clear of is the Garden of Life protein (and most of their multi-vitamins), at least if they're still using what's essentially animal-sourced vitamin D3 that they're claiming to be vegan. Basically, their "vegan" D3 in their products comes from taking lanolin-based D3, infusing it into soil, then when some is absorbed into plants grown in that soil, to extract it from the plants and call it vegan afterward. Very deceptive in their marketing of calling it vegan when it's akin to saying that we need to kill a cow to create a veggie burger, so I like to always make sure people know this one great reason to not support their company.

Their sales team actually had the audacity to scoff at me when I met with them and told them it wasn't vegan after all, and that the vegan community was NOT going to be very supportive once they know the process used to create their D3. After they got done telling me that it would pretty much just be the "crazy, radical vegans" who would care and that most vegans would be fine with it, I discontinued all their products from our shop and washed my hands of working with them. To me, when someone makes a product that's not vegan and claims it to be such, then manages to put down the vegan community at the same time, it's no good in my book.

Lots of great companies out there, though, and hundreds and hundreds of vegan supplements to pick from. I don't often bother to plug what I do here on the board (I tend not to be much of a shameless self-promoter), but we've got a LOT of great vitamins, supplements, protein powders and more that are all 100% vegan - check out http://www.VeganEssentials.comsometime, and if you see anything you'd like, be sure to use coupon code "RCBOOK" for 10% off your order, and if you mention that you heard about us via this site, we give 5% back to help Robert keep this place going strong. It's a win-win situation!

I did not know that about Garden Of Life - wow. Call me a crazy Vegan because I give a shit lol. Didn't know fitting the definition of something was crazy! I will no longer be supporting their stuff either; I'll probably give them a call to let them know too.

And yea, I absolutely LOVE Vegan Essentials lol. I tell everyone I can about you guys - esp the parents of a "crazy Vegan" who have to shop for their kid. I let them know everything you got is safe, which gives them all sighs of relief lol =)

Yeah, Garden of Life was really, really bad about making attempts at calling their D3 "vegan" in light of how it was created. We were told that they were eventually going to be putting this D3 in all of their items that had D2 (which was actually from vegan sources), no idea if it ever came to be, but it would have rendered their multivitamins and the dairy-free proteins to be non-vegan as well.

Who knows, maybe they're no longer trying to deceive as much as they once did, it has been two years to the mark since I cut ties with their product line, so I'm out of the loop. But, companies who spend all their time trying to whitewash people on something that isn't what they claim rarely change, rather, they usually just keep trying new angles to convince people that they are telling the truth. Oh well, it isn't as if there aren't still tons of great companies out there making supplements that actually are vegan!

• 2 months later...

I have been taking this recently and really like it. I am a big fan of food based multi's in general and this one has not disappointed.

Just keep in mind however, even though it is a "one a day" I would suggest taking 2-3 a day. I also take vega and sometimes use greens powders like vitamineral green so I consider 2 a day to be sufficient.

http://pics.drugstore.com/prodimg/86383/300.jpg

Wow, I'm glad this thread got bumped, otherwise I would have not known about the garden of life crap. I've been using their RAW protein and meal replacers for a while now. I feel confident in trusting VE's opinion on this. I guess I need to look for another brand too.

About the vitamins - you might want to take a look at the foods you are eating. If you consume enough veggies, fruit, nuts, and legumes each day, you probably get your RDA of most vitamins and minerals and won't need to rely on a daily multivitamin. Go to http://nutritiondata.self.com/ and check the contents of your food and do the math.

The owner of Garden of Life is VERY anti-vegan. This is well known in the nutrition supplement industry (which I'm in, working for Vega). They sold last year to a chemical company. Some chemical company owns them now.

I took some heat for having them donate to our online fitness challenge. But it wasn't me who recruited them and then I had to handle it as smoothly as possible. It's not the the products aren't good (though I didn't know about the D3 thing), but they are totally anti-vegan, they just happen to make a lot of $ off the vegan movement in the health industry.

Shame.