Deadlift help.

Share your training programs, favorite exercises, training secrets and tips with the rest of the group. Discuss contest preparation, off-season diets, carb depleting and loading, posing, and training programs.

Moderators: Mini Forklift Ⓥ, C.O., Richard, robert, SyrLinus

tw432
Finch

Deadlift help.

#1 Postby tw432 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:33 am

Would like to get some feedback on my deadlift form. If still doesn't feel like I have it down right.

http://youtu.be/N-YM3btdSno?t=25s

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

chewybaws
Elephant

Re: Deadlift help.

#2 Postby chewybaws » Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:20 am

Looks fine to me, nothing alarmingly wrong

tw432
Finch

#3 Postby tw432 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:55 am

The main issue is I keep banging my knees, any tips to avoid this?

gcorrea
Rabbit

#4 Postby gcorrea » Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:53 am

Do you mean banging your knees with the bar? If so, I think you could drop the weight a little slower always keeping the bar in contact with your legs (upper legs, then knees, then lower legs). This way you could get around your knees (you would be touching them with the bar instead of banging them).

jungleinthefrunk
Gorilla

#5 Postby jungleinthefrunk » Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:45 am

haha dance party!
Darth Vader from Sandlot once said, "Heroes get remembered, but legends never die." Then he later died.
https://www.facebook.com/LaurenHarrisonAnbfPro
https://www.facebook.com/BigMeeeeech
https://www.youtube.com/user/doctorvannostrand100

veggiesasquatch
Gorilla

#6 Postby veggiesasquatch » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:12 am

"Don't fall for that crap that people are peddling on the message boards, in magazines or on TV. Get your shit in order, and get your training in order. Start kicking ass, and take out the crap that doesn't matter" Jim Wendler

blabbate
Gorilla

#7 Postby blabbate » Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:53 pm

Looks pretty good. Banging your knees is going to happen, especially at first. Looks like you're doing it right, essentially doing an RDL until your knees, then easing it to the ground. You'll eventually learn how to just barely miss them. But still count on your shins getting banged up.

The only things I can see are that your hips might be starting a little low and your hip movement might be coming in a tiny, tiny bit late, but it's hard to tell. Your ass should be as high as possible while still allowing your shins to touch the bar and your chest to be up. As soon as you've cleared your knees moving upward, contract those glutes.
--
Bruce

MattSxvx
Gorilla

#8 Postby MattSxvx » Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:58 pm

The only thing I see wrong is that you need more weight.

tw432
Finch

#9 Postby tw432 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:16 pm

Thanks for the tips. Pretty sure I'm lowering my hips to much after watching the rippetoe video again.

tw432
Finch

#10 Postby tw432 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:41 pm

MattSxvx wrote:The only thing I see wrong is that you need more weight.

That's my warm up, so not an issue.

veggiesasquatch
Gorilla

#11 Postby veggiesasquatch » Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:24 pm

Last edited by veggiesasquatch on Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Don't fall for that crap that people are peddling on the message boards, in magazines or on TV. Get your shit in order, and get your training in order. Start kicking ass, and take out the crap that doesn't matter" Jim Wendler

veggiesasquatch
Gorilla

#12 Postby veggiesasquatch » Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:27 pm

Light weight on deads can lead to form not being as tight as it should.

I highly recommend (as always) finding the starting strength DVD by Rippetoe (a quick torrent search should find you this)

tw432
Finch

#13 Postby tw432 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:45 pm

veggiesasquatch wrote:Light weight on deads can lead to form not being as tight as it should.

I highly recommend (as always) finding the starting strength DVD by Rippetoe (a quick torrent search should find you this)

How I am supposed to work up to my working set without using lighter weights first? As for starting strength I already have it, but thanks anyway.

veggiesasquatch
Gorilla

#14 Postby veggiesasquatch » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:00 am

tw432 wrote:
veggiesasquatch wrote:Light weight on deads can lead to form not being as tight as it should.

How I am supposed to work up to my working set without using lighter weights first? As for starting strength I already have it, but thanks anyway.

I wasn't saying that there's a way a round it....just that it can happen

Return to “Bodybuilding/Strength Training”