Request for training advice

Share your training programs, favorite exercises, training secrets and tips with the rest of the group. Discuss contest preparation, off-season diets, carb depleting and loading, posing, and training programs.

Moderators: Mini Forklift Ⓥ, C.O., Richard, robert, SyrLinus

TrilliumFortnight
Rabbit

#1 Postby TrilliumFortnight » Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:26 pm

Hey

I'm not exactly new here, but I'm new back to posting again. Over half a year ago I'd been doing the Stronglifts 5x5 program, but I feel like it progressed too quickly for my body-type/metabolism/whatever. I ended up injuring my back (a problem which still gives me pain now) doing squats, while following the program closely. I lost faith in the program and when I recovered began solely using kettlebells, which were great for strength and flexibility.

Now I've moved and don't have access to my kettlebells so I'm thinking of rejoining a gym. My goals are strength and a good physique. I'm not wanting to be the world's strongest person, I just want to be in good shape and have a workout that makes me feel great after it. The progression of 5x5 for me became unpleasant and exhausting, so I want to avoid it. Kettlebells were good but I would like to see more progression in terms of weight and size.

Can anyone recommend a program that is in line with my request, without being as demanding as the 5x5?

Thanx, T

Synny667
Elephant

Re: Request for training advice

#2 Postby Synny667 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:58 pm

Not sure if they fall into what you are looking for but I swear by yoga and boot camp and if boot camp is canceled I hit up a lifting class like body pump
I do because I can. I can because I want to. I want to because you said I couldn't.

I don't make excuses... I make results

If it doesn't challenge you, it doesn't change you

veggiesasquatch
Gorilla

Re: Request for training advice

#3 Postby veggiesasquatch » Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:46 am

If it's a slow progression for strength you want then Wendler's 5/3/1 is all you need....
"Don't fall for that crap that people are peddling on the message boards, in magazines or on TV. Get your shit in order, and get your training in order. Start kicking ass, and take out the crap that doesn't matter" Jim Wendler

itsjustrobbieok
Manatee

#4 Postby itsjustrobbieok » Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:25 am

Why not do the 5x5 again but progress slower? If you buy some fractional plates you could increase by 1kg every workout.

To be honest it sounds like you probably havent got your form nailed. Get some videos out so we can help :)
You say obsessed; I say dedicated.
My VBB&F Journal
Twitter - Follow me
Facebook - Add me

Return to “Bodybuilding/Strength Training”