Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:10 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Eating immediately after a workout and how much protein?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:32 am 
Gorilla

Oh you mean money wise, that's fair enough...I'm in a similar position as my other halfs just finishing up her degree. Though I don't drink, smoke or run a car it means I have money for my supps. Be better once she's back working other than the wkend haha

If you do buy a powder just save it for training days. What type of milk do you drink?

"Don't fall for that crap that people are peddling on the message boards, in magazines or on TV. Get your shit in order, and get your training in order. Start kicking ass, and take out the crap that doesn't matter" Jim Wendler

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:45 pm 
Rabbit

I realize that I'm the odd man out here, but I quit using all supplements a few years ago and really haven't noticed a difference at all, and although there are guy's much larger than I am, I'm still getting pretty good results. I don't use protein powders or any of that stuff. In fact I get most of my protein from fruits, vegetables, rice and beans. I'm 185 ibs with some bodyfat as you can see in my pic, but relatively low I've only trained with body weight the last six months, but before that I had a 315 ib (two rep) bench, 375 ib squat, and 405 ib deadlift. Those numbers aren't extremely impressive, but I worked up to them, and I sincerely didn't get better results when I was using supplements and rushing to my car after a workout to drink my post workout protein shake.
And I know that the post workout protein drinks is one of the biggest locker room gossip topics, just behind whether one should do high reps or low reps. But the science has shown us time and time again that it takes at least an hour or more for your body to start to digest and assimilate the nutrients that you ingest. That being said if you are taking that protein shake after a workout thinking that your body is immediately getting some nutrients then you've bought into the Muscle magazine myth. By all means eat after you workout, but just remember that if you workout at 6, finish at 7 and drink a shake your getting those nutrients somewhere between 8 and 10. But if you eat a meal at 5, your going to be getting those nutrients between 6 and 8. That's the science and I choose to take that as meaning that the more important meal is the one before a workout. Someone else could easily see in that where the post workout meal is more significant, but the beauty of the science is that it's objective and leaves no room for opinion. Our only opinion is in how we choose to interpret the facts.

http://www.youtube.com/user/RawVegaCaliBB

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:24 pm 
Manatee

I don't drink or smoke either. My wife and I are comfortable financially but my daughter's summer camps are going ro be expensive this year and we are looking to move out of our condo and get a single home so trying watch money. I have expensive hobbies so rift now I am filtering money to other needs as I snowboard and just got back from a trip with our daughter skiing and boarding and were Disney World the last week of January, and just got a new car so I am trying cut out some things. I also am a musician and started a new band and need some equipment so it adds up.
Will he doing supps by early April! I want to get back to creatine.

I drink soy milk.

I wonder if I am getting enough protein. I can't get over my 218 lb body weight hump.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:57 pm 
Gorilla

What music Boardn10? I use to do vocals for death metal bands, I can play bass a bit to & drums.

Protein wise If it's maintaining current weight 1g per body pound is a good bench mark.

"Don't fall for that crap that people are peddling on the message boards, in magazines or on TV. Get your shit in order, and get your training in order. Start kicking ass, and take out the crap that doesn't matter" Jim Wendler

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:19 pm 
Gorilla

I ve never bought a bodybuilding magazine...I'm not a bodybuilder

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:38 am 
Gorilla

Justin Morgan wrote:
I realize that I'm the odd man out here, but I quit using all supplements a few years ago and really haven't noticed a difference at all, and although there are guy's much larger than I am, I'm still getting pretty good results. I don't use protein powders or any of that stuff. In fact I get most of my protein from fruits, vegetables, rice and beans. I'm 185 ibs with some bodyfat as you can see in my pic, but relatively low I've only trained with body weight the last six months, but before that I had a 315 ib (two rep) bench, 375 ib squat, and 405 ib deadlift. Those numbers aren't extremely impressive, but I worked up to them, and I sincerely didn't get better results when I was using supplements and rushing to my car after a workout to drink my post workout protein shake.
And I know that the post workout protein drinks is one of the biggest locker room gossip topics, just behind whether one should do high reps or low reps. But the science has shown us time and time again that it takes at least an hour or more for your body to start to digest and assimilate the nutrients that you ingest. That being said if you are taking that protein shake after a workout thinking that your body is immediately getting some nutrients then you've bought into the Muscle magazine myth. By all means eat after you workout, but just remember that if you workout at 6, finish at 7 and drink a shake your getting those nutrients somewhere between 8 and 10. But if you eat a meal at 5, your going to be getting those nutrients between 6 and 8. That's the science and I choose to take that as meaning that the more important meal is the one before a workout. Someone else could easily see in that where the post workout meal is more significant, but the beauty of the science is that it's objective and leaves no room for opinion. Our only opinion is in how we choose to interpret the facts.

I haven't got time to give a detailed response to some of your points as I'm just about to leave for a mini holiday...But I shall when I can.

I the mean time:

I always advise people not to buy into the marketing of the next best supplement. I always inform food reins supreme & to get diet in order. However I keep my supps to what I know works for me, That being the key. What works for the user, not what a company/article or a study says. As an eg I hate pre workout shakes & the like, I think they are pointless & there's better natural alternatives. Also I gained a lot of muscle/weight eating 4 times a day....

What I will say is don't paint people who choose to use supp's with the same brush like most who believe everything they see/read regarding supps. None of us here are sheep, We wouldn't be here in the first place if we were :)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:07 am 
Rabbit

[quote="
What I will say is don't paint people who choose to use supp's with the same brush like most who believe everything they see/read regarding supps. None of us here are sheep, We wouldn't be here in the first place if we were :)[/quote]

I wasn't just trying to be a dick in saying that or anything. It's just that I wasted a lot of money over the years on stuff that just didn't work for me. And I hate to see someone who's saying their trying to build muscle on a budget throw their money away on supplements when they would do better with real food.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:27 pm 
Manatee

veggiesasquatch wrote:
What music Boardn10? I use to do vocals for death metal bands, I can play bass a bit to & drums.

Protein wise If it's maintaining current weight 1g per body pound is a good bench mark.

Music? Well I have been in hard rock and modern metal original bands. I also have done cover gigs, classic rock to 80s to 90s and current. I went to college in the early 90s so when grunge broke, it meant a lot to me. We are doing a 90s cover band...hard rock and grunge from the 90s.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:41 pm 
Gorilla

So here's my basic response to your post Jason. Nothing aimed at you personally  just the points you made.

I train for great results, not pretty good. I'm currently still gaining & I ve gone from 132lb to 187lb in 9ish months.
You are right saying an immediate protein shake is not entirely needed but what is needed is amino acids in the blood from previous meals, up to 24hrs before.

The body responds almost immediately when foods consumed, even more so with sugar & the insulin response. So anything in the blood stream & in the stomach will almost immediately begin being shuttled to the muscle (exercise increases glut-2 expression on muscle cells, down regulates it on adipocytes=bonus).
So creatine passing the gut without being actively transported, amino acids either in raw form or from quality proteins pass the gut quickly & enter the blood. Also aminos already in the blood pass.

Recovery obviously takes hours, days so post workout  nutrition is just as important as pre workout.

If you're aiming at just protein shakes all I can say is that if they help you in your every day life eg myself I work 12 hr days/nights. I can't keep going off to eat so a shake is convenient. That's how I treat them as convenient, not an actual protein source which I depend upon.

If you have ever used bcaa's, creatine,leucine, taurine & a number of quality supps the majority of people will see the difference in adding/removing them & actual body composition. I do agree that some people do not respond to some things like myself using pre workout shakes/energy drinks/shakes,They do nothing for me & I'd prefer coffee, banana covered in peanut butter.

A med protein, high carb/bcaa/lecuine & creatine shake towards or after training Is great. Especially on a low carbs (fasted/semi fasted  not a deplete)

You are right but...supps do work. They key is experimenting & seeing  what works for you. I buy my supps in raw form eg bcaa's glutamine ect & mix my own shakes. I'd never consider buying some of the crap that's peddled on sites/mags. Just don't be so quick to dismiss some, you seem an intelligent guy so do a bit of experimenting/research. 

Don't wanna go back & forth over this, you said your bit I ve said mine.

Ps if anything has been "auto corrected" or something doesn't quite make sense I blame my iPhone :)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:54 pm 
Manatee

Another thing I am battling with is that I often wake up in the middle of the night VERY hungry to the point I have to eat and then struggle to get back to sleep. :(

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:05 am 
Rabbit

No, I'm sure we could drag this thread out for another 5 pages or so going on about differences in opinion on when to drink shakes...... We could make this thread "vi-rule" if we tried hard enough....... Not really.

Speaking of autocorrect you've probably seen this, but my wife loves this web-site http://www.damnyouautocorrect.com/ I think it's funny, but I'm never as amused with it as she is.

In regards to waking up hungry, there's different things that could be going on, but it seems most likely that your body is not getting something that it wants. That something could just be general calories. If there's not enough fuel in the tank, your body will wake up wanting it. And I know this is contrary to what people usually say (I'm weird like that), but I eat about 2 1/2 cups of cooked rice with beans and vegetables almost every evening around 7/8 o'clock and then go to bed at 11. Then when I wake up, right after I pee for like the 3rd time after going to bed I drink about 1/2-1 liter of water to flush my system out before breakfast.

Speaking of all this, have you ever noticed that bodybuilders (vegan or otherwise) have crazy rituals that you don't see as much of in other sports. We are an odd bunch.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:00 pm 
Manatee

I try to eat as much as possible almost immediately before bed so that I have a full stomach when I got to sleep and for much of the night. But since I eat every few hours, it doesn't last long.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:36 pm 
Rabbit

Do you drink plenty of water? I don't know man, I'm just throwing out guesses.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:37 am 
Gorilla

You ideally need a slow releasing protein before bed...I'm vegetarian so I have a few options, vegan wise I'm not that sure without digging out my research files

Try something simple like a bagel with peanut butter with x2 glasses of your favourite type of milk.
If your hungry though it's a good sign the trainings going well, if you had no appetite then you'd need to adjust training.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:36 pm 
Manatee

veggiesasquatch wrote:
You ideally need a slow releasing protein before bed...I'm vegetarian so I have a few options, vegan wise I'm not that sure without digging out my research files

Try something simple like a bagel with peanut butter with x2 glasses of your favourite type of milk.
If your hungry though it's a good sign the trainings going well, if you had no appetite then you'd need to adjust training.

Why is that a sign that training is going well???

I am more a vegetarian.