Trouble slimming legs before toning..

I have always had giant thighs with lots of muscle under alot of fat. I can not get my thighs to slim down no matter what!! So frustrating. The routine my trainer gave me seems to just be adding muscle under my fat that just will not quit. Squats and lunges with weights doesn't seem to be the right thing for me. Any tips?? Exercises?? Cardio?? I run 6 miles outdoors and 3 on the treadmill along with 3 on high elevation on the elliptical. My upper body is great, I just want my lower body to match.

P.S.- the guy next to me on the stationary bike keeps burping and I am trying not to laugh..

Squats are the right thing for everyone who is physically able to do them.

Calories consumed Vs calories burned is what determines whether you lose or gain weight, but you can't choose where you lose fat from I'm afraid.

Use this to work out how many calories you need to consume in order to lose weight - http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm

Keep the protein high and do weights if you want to keep your muscle.

Those are the basics.

You can't really just exercise the fat away. That's the wrong expectation. You will lose ft by watching what your are putting into your mouth,how much of it, and when. I would suggest meeting with a licensed nutritionist,but keep on exercising,the food and the activity go hand in hand.

My diet is fine. Vegan 10+ and plant strong. I have done alot of research for what is right for me diet wise for a long time with IBS. It's always been hard for me and I bulk up quick. I understand you can not spot reduce. I also recently lost another 50 lbs and am hoping toning up will help all the jiggles:)

My diet is fine. Vegan 10+ and plant strong. I have done alot of research for what is right for me diet wise for a long time with IBS. It's always been hard for me and I bulk up quick. I understand you can not spot reduce. I also recently lost another 50 lbs and am hoping toning up will help all the jiggles:)

Wow, congrats on the weight loss. That's terrific.

As long as you know you can't spot reduce, you're on the right track. Toning and working the legs will help increase muscle mass, which should spread out the fat a bit and give it a good base shape. But really, it's minimal compared to what you should see with just continued overall fat loss. I say to just keep going and stay positive!