Muscle Sorness

Fyi - I am 45 yrs old and have been hard core vegan for about 9 months. Energy is up and I have lost about 12bs. I run around 15-20 miles a week and completed a marathon in March. On my non-running days (4 days a week) I lift pretty heavy for about an hour to keep my muscle loss to a aminimum.However, I have been experiencing a problem with muscle soreness. I have been lifting seriously around 15 years and I always try to have post workout drink that includes 30-40 grams of protein. Since I have gone vegan, I have switched from Whey to Soy protein.

Problem is that my muscles are VERY sore after my workouts, not the normal sorness that you experience after a good workout. I did not have that problem when I was using whey protein. Any suggestions?

thx

you can use glutamine like was suggested its is anti inflammatory by nature. Creatine is also good for recovery. I suggest moving away from soy and try out some of the higher bioavailable proteins that are out there. Vega has some great products,also I use Sun Warriors' Raw protein,and a Product called Protein and Greens by Paradise,and Life'sBasics has a good blendof Yellow Pea, Brown Rice and Hemp Protein. I live for that deep ache to know I got some deep fiber breakdown that needs repairing. Keepon rockin,age is just a number but you will feel it.

In the past, gentle stretching was one of the recommended ways to reduce exercise related muscle soreness, but a study by Australian researchers published in 2007 found that stretching is not effective in avoiding muscle soreness.

Funny as it helps just about everyone I know...

What you should never do is stretch a cold muscle, People walk into a gym & do this right away, so it's a pull waiting to happen. A rule of thumb is joints need movements, Muscles a bit stretch (once warmed up)

I don't stretch cold but I do something just as bad.... I start lifting cold. I start with light warmup sets though

There's nothing really wrong in lifting cold providing you are working between 30-40% of what the first set of that movement will be...Today before squatting I body weight squatted, free bar squatted then squatted a light 50kg...Then I ran through my mobility & stretching....

I'd recommend going with 30% 40% 50% as warm up sets. These would be based of your current top set for say  eg military press. I always start with the big 4 lifts, everything is based round these but you can apply the principle across the board.

I once watched a tv show in my teens on ruby training. The fitness coach who was vastly experienced had never had a muscle related "pull" at the club or whenever he coached...something very rare. His method was again to always begin with light work of the first thing they were to train, even down to running. Something that's always stayed with me.

I haven't been working out as much as I'd like lately, but I used to train about as often as you are now.. Hopefully getting back there soon. It's great that you're so active! I would suggest taking a rest day if it's possible? Maybe even a week and then hitting it up again with rest days. Yoga is really good for sore muscles. I wouldn't recommend doing a rest day where you're completely inactive, instead I would say do an active rest day with light walking and stretching to give those muscles a break! I don't see anything wrong with training cold muscles.. I've always done that. I don't use supplements so I'm not much help there haha.