Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Good weight lifting straps????
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:19 pm 
Manatee

Can anyone recommend some good weight lifting straps? I checked Models but they carry the padded weight lifting straps which I can't stand. I like straps to be rather thin, not thick.

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Good weight lifting straps????
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:14 pm 
Stegosaurus

www.ironmind.com, best straps around as far as I'm concerned. Thinnest material out there but stronger than any other brand (tested to over 1000 lbs. without breaking), not overpriced, definitely worth getting some from them!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:15 pm 
Gorilla

Unless you're moving serious weight don't bother (or an injury)

"Don't fall for that crap that people are peddling on the message boards, in magazines or on TV. Get your shit in order, and get your training in order. Start kicking ass, and take out the crap that doesn't matter" Jim Wendler

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:28 pm 
Stegosaurus

I normally say the same thing, I think that with boardn10 he has some nerve damage in one arm that affects his grip negatively on rows and deadlifts. Otherwise I don't recommend straps, since the best way to build a solid grip is to avoid straps whenever possible!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:52 pm 
Gorilla

Ye I remember a post by him now you said that mate.

I would suggest krock rows to help bring some strength on with the grip, even starting mega light :)

"Don't fall for that crap that people are peddling on the message boards, in magazines or on TV. Get your shit in order, and get your training in order. Start kicking ass, and take out the crap that doesn't matter" Jim Wendler

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:35 pm 
Manatee

If I deadlift over 400 my grip gives out before my back. If I shrug over 300, same thing. Heavy dumbell rows, my grip will also give out before my back. I might pick up a Captain of Crush Grip strength tool to help me.

Which are the ones to get, they have a lot.
http://www.ironmind.com/ironmind/opencms/Main/straps.html

Last edited by boardn10 on Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:07 pm 
Stegosaurus

boardn10 wrote:
If I deadlift over 400 my grip gives out before my back. If I shrug over 300, same thing. Heavy dumbell rows, my grip will also give out before my back. I might pick up a Caprain of Crush Grip strength tool to help me.

Which are the ones to get, they have a lot.
http://www.ironmind.com/ironmind/opencms/Main/straps.html

Grippers don't really translate well to strength to hold a heavy barbell/dumbbell, oddly enough. For that, I've always had three main suggestions -

1. Fat bar training, easiest way is to get some Fat Gripz handles (should be easy to locate online) that snap over a BB/DB and turn it to a thick 2" diameter to work the grip harder. Thick bar work hits the entire hand structure big-time and to most, has the greatest carry-over to all other grip-related work.

2. Pinch grip training, while seeming like it wouldn't do much for holding a bar, really builds the finger strength and the musclulature between the thumb and forefinger to help you keep your hands closed tighter against force that's trying to open it (in a way that's definitely different from using grippers). Start with three 10 lb. plates (pinching with smooth sides out), try for 4, then move to 25 lb. plates and shoot for 35s or more as you get stronger (45s are for top-level grip strength masters, I came close with 85 lbs. but never quite could get a pair of 45s off the ground).

3. Practice static holds with a barbell at the end of your workout. Load up a set weight, say, 315 lbs. on a in the power rack with just an inch or two of movement to where you'd be standing fully erect with the bar in front of your body (basically, you want to stand up an inch or two and be in the position of a deadlift lockout or the start of a shrug position). Just hold for time, start with a goal such as 3 sets of holds for 30 seconds, when you reach it, either add time (such as, 5 seconds per session) or add weight. Nothing helps you hold on to weight like.....well....holding on to weight!

Those three things will be the biggest factors to increasing grip strength for traditional lifts. Most of the other "toys" are fun to test against and work to improve on, but won't do a lot to help with everyday training. Grippers are a prime example, fun to play with (I've got about a dozen various ones stockpiled from my days of doing tons of grip work), but don't really do a whole lot for general hand strength to hold on to something heavy.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:48 am 
Manatee

VeganEssentials. thanks for the insight brother. Do you compete in any way? Have you?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:37 am 
Gorilla

Top advice as usual...if I may also add dead lifts for reps will help. So after working sets strip off the weight & do 3-5 sets of 10 reps.

Also krock rows have helped my grip no end. 1-2 sets of 10 reps to warm up (light) then a ball out last set where you want a minimum of 20 reps & a max of say 40. Don't be a hero, start with a comfy weight. These will also hammer the forearms, biceps & the usual back areas.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:57 pm 
Stegosaurus

boardn10 wrote:
VeganEssentials. thanks for the insight brother. Do you compete in any way? Have you?

My competition history hasn't been huge, as far as what I've done....

3 strongman competitions (won novice division in one, placed 11th of 20 and 13th of 27 in the others)

1 powerlifting comp, 3rd of 4 in my weight class (missed making the mark, bumped up to heavyweights, got creamed except for one guy who bombed out)

1 comp that had clean & jerk for one event, deadlift max for the other, got 3rd of 6 for my weight class in that one if I remember correctly

Wanted to enter some grip contests when they were more common, but they were always too far away to attend and enter :(

Nothing bodybuilding related, never been able to get lean enough to consider stepping on stage, but who knows what could happen one day if I actually figure out how to get below 12% bodyfat! :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:16 pm 
Manatee

Cool bro, thanks for the advice. Which of those straps do you recommend? I am going to order some and also work on grip exercises.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:02 pm 
Stegosaurus

Just the basic "Strong Enough" straps should do well enough, here's the link

http://ironmind-store.com/Strong-Enough ... info/1239/

Don't go for the "short & sweet" straps, they're really tough to work with (only ideal if you're needing to bail out of olympic lifts where you risk crushing yourself), the Sew Easy straps are a bit awkward as well. The others are designed more for if you need LOTS of length on straps for doing axle deadlifts or other things where a big strap is better. Just one pair of the Strong Enough straps should last you for years, they're tough as hell, and pretty much impossible to destroy. Best thing to do when you get them is, scrape them up a bit on concrete or the sharp knurling on a bar at the gym (they're a bit slick at first, need a bit of scuffing to break in), rub in some chalk, and they're great from day one!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:59 pm 
Manatee

Thanks man! I used straps years ago and went back to my parent's basement looking for them with my old weight set but they are long gone. I will order these. What about chaulk? I sometimes just have issues with sweaty hands. :)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:56 pm 
Stegosaurus

boardn10 wrote:
Thanks man! I used straps years ago and went back to my parent's basement looking for them with my old weight set but they are long gone. I will order these. What about chaulk? I sometimes just have issues with sweaty hands. :)

If your gym allows it, definitely get some chalk. You can either get a box from IronMind, or, you'll be able to find it at any climbing supply store like REI or something similar. If your gym won't allow it, you can look for liquid chalk, it's usually a combination of alcohol and some chalk mixed in, will dry your hands out without the powdery mess.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:13 pm 
Manatee

Never heard of a gym not allowing chaulk. Yep, we can have it. :)