Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Good weight lifting straps????
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:53 pm 
Stegosaurus

boardn10 wrote:
Never heard of a gym not allowing chaulk. Yep, we can have it. :)

You'd be surprised how many gyms won't allow chalk these days - chains are especially particular about it (Bally's, 24 Hour Fitness, Cardinal Fitness, etc.) but independent gyms usually are more lenient on it. I had to smuggle mine in for years and hide it in my gym bag to use in secret whenever nobody was looking, and when they eventually found out I was using it (I never made a mess, only used as little as was necessary), by their reaction you'd swear I'd just set off a small explosive device in the middle of the training area. :roll: I even made sure to explain how, by using chalk I was less likely to drop weight and make a racket, not to mention that I was safer with my grip and was less likely to tear a callus, but no matter, they simply said "use it here again, you lose your membership", after which I changed gyms to one that didn't care about my chalk use :)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 3:33 am 
Gorilla

So they had oly bars but you couldn't chalk up? wtf! Ive heard of a chain in america actually having some type of system which sets an alarm off if you load to much weight....?

"Don't fall for that crap that people are peddling on the message boards, in magazines or on TV. Get your shit in order, and get your training in order. Start kicking ass, and take out the crap that doesn't matter" Jim Wendler

Last edited by veggiesasquatch on Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:12 pm 
Manatee

OK, so what do they have against chaulk? Making a mess?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:40 pm 
Gorilla

boardn10 wrote:

People plodding on the cross trainers complaining about breathing in it I bet :D

"Don't fall for that crap that people are peddling on the message boards, in magazines or on TV. Get your shit in order, and get your training in order. Start kicking ass, and take out the crap that doesn't matter" Jim Wendler

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:08 am 
Stegosaurus

veggiesasquatch wrote:
So they had oly bars but you couldn't chalk up? wtf! Ive heard of a chain in america actually having some type of system which sets an alarm off if you load to much weight....?

Ah, the "Lunk Alarm" of Planet Fitness! Yes, it's a :augenroller: wonderful :augenroller: chain her. In their quest to be a "Judgement-Free Zone" as they claim to be, they instead judge anyone who they deem to be 'intimidating' to new trainees (which can be by what type of lifting you're doing [don't even THINK about deadlifting or doing overhead pressing!], by any grunts or noise you may make while lifting, or by not setting down weight as if you were putting down an infant for naptime) as "lunks", to where they may sound an ACTUAL alarm, and then either kick you out, or, warn you to stop whatever you've been doing. The only appeal it has is for two groups in particular:

1. They've been said to be REALLY low-cost compared to most gyms, something like $9.95/month, which in the USA is pretty well unheard of for a franchise gym. So, those who have a tight budget or are just concerned with lowest price over quality, that's one group, and...

2. Those who are genuinely afraid of the gym and think that EVERYONE is scrutinizing them by their appearance, exercises they're doing, weight they're using, etc. Seriously, you'd have to be one paranoid person to feel that you need the sort of protection from the reality of what a gym is like, but I guess that there are some out there who would prefer to train around timid people who most likely are different every month (either because they quit training after such a crappy experience, or, they wisen up and move to another facility).

boardn10 wrote:

That's pretty much it. Messy "someone else will clean it up!" kooks pretty well ruined it for most of us who would have otherwise contained our chalk in an effective manner. Saw it a few times when one gym I went to was still lenient, a guy seriously had a cloud of it surrounding him during deadlifts and it looked like a kilo of coke had exploded underneath him. No cleanup afteward, he must have been too "hardcore" to worry about such a thing. Right after that, guess what happened to the policy at that location regarding being coo about chalk use....

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:45 pm 
Manatee

VeganEssentials wrote:
Just the basic "Strong Enough" straps should do well enough, here's the link

http://ironmind-store.com/Strong-Enough ... info/1239/

Don't go for the "short & sweet" straps, they're really tough to work with (only ideal if you're needing to bail out of olympic lifts where you risk crushing yourself), the Sew Easy straps are a bit awkward as well. The others are designed more for if you need LOTS of length on straps for doing axle deadlifts or other things where a big strap is better. Just one pair of the Strong Enough straps should last you for years, they're tough as hell, and pretty much impossible to destroy. Best thing to do when you get them is, scrape them up a bit on concrete or the sharp knurling on a bar at the gym (they're a bit slick at first, need a bit of scuffing to break in), rub in some chalk, and they're great from day one!

And only $11!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:59 pm 
Manatee

I tried lifting straps and it made it much harder to do deadlifts. Best thing seems to be chaulk because I sweat so much!