Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 3:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Please help me get started
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:38 pm 
Rabbit

What's up vegan body builders!

I'm 25, 183cm tall, 63kg, high raw high carb high calorie strict vegan (since 2 years), long time cyclist and been properly running now for nearly a year and so I'd say my cardio is at least average but my body looks like a cross between ET and an anorexic hunchback of notredame.... I'm very slim and moderately fit but have bad posture and no visible muscles. I have a massive arch to my back which pushes my stomach out making me look pregnant, and when I stand up really straight and suck my stomach in you can see my lower pair of rips sticking out like deformed saggy tits (see pic). I think I'm an ectomorph... see quad pic after 10 years of cycling every day and running for a year 14 miles a week. I'm actually not that feeble though... for example I can carry a 43kg bass amp up 3 flights of stairs when some of my mates cant even lift it up (I play drums and bass).

So it's time I took control of my physique as well as my cardio! I'm disciplined as I run every day and I have decent nutrition and push myself.

So my question is.... what will be the most important exercises for me to sort out my body?... to improve posture / body shape and loose the anorexic look.

Looking forwards to any help to get me started!!! 8)

Edit: Changed title and OP to reflect that I now have gym membership and no longer will be training at home, but still need your advice on the best exercises to do!

Attachments:
File comment: tensed quad after a year of 14 miles per week running and 10 years of cycling every day.... probably hard gainer...?
photo (5).JPG
photo (5).JPG [ 206.1 KiB | Viewed 1929 times ]
File comment: notice my big arch in my back... this is my trying to stand up straight
photo (4).JPG
photo (4).JPG [ 225.05 KiB | Viewed 1929 times ]
photo (3).JPG
photo (3).JPG [ 221.35 KiB | Viewed 1929 times ]

Last edited by laney on Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Please help me design my home gym setup!
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:03 pm 
Gorilla

You need to squat, above anything. So you need a type of rack. Also a pull up bar & a bench. These really are the core things. Also you'll need a decent bar which can be expensive, same as weights they can be the same. Check round your area to see if any gyms/high schools are replacing any equipment.

There's loads of squat rack plans if you find a welder to do the work.

"Don't fall for that crap that people are peddling on the message boards, in magazines or on TV. Get your shit in order, and get your training in order. Start kicking ass, and take out the crap that doesn't matter" Jim Wendler

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:32 pm 
Rabbit

veggiesasquatch wrote:
....type of [squat] rack
pull up bar
a bench

I can buy a second hand bench no probs... do you mean for dumbbell press and fly?

pull up bar I was thinking of... gonna make it with a wood frame from floor with supports to the wall, actual bar will be pipe... not too fussed on the quality as I'm only a newbie

squat rack... do you mean putting a weighted bar on my shoulders/behind neck and squatting? Could I not get the same results using heavy dumbbells held to my shoulders?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:18 pm 
Gorilla

Neither fly or dumbbell press, barbell pressing. They wont build you a thick, solid chest or real strength & yes so you can squat with a barbell on your back.

If you're questioning how to bench press & what to squat with I'd recommend you stop looking at what equipment to buy/make & research how to lift properly dude....then look at what you need.

"Don't fall for that crap that people are peddling on the message boards, in magazines or on TV. Get your shit in order, and get your training in order. Start kicking ass, and take out the crap that doesn't matter" Jim Wendler

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:20 pm 
Gorilla

Also you can get some pretty nifty frames to hook on to door frames for pull ups/chin ups

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:58 pm 
Rabbit

Hey man, I'm a complete newbie so any advice really welcome!

Thanks already!

Quote:
If you're questioning how to bench press & what to squat with I'd recommend you stop looking at what equipment to buy/make & research how to lift properly dude....then look at what you need.

That's why I'm here... because I don't really know!

But I'm eager to dive in but all gyms here are a 12 month minimum contract. Membership is €475 per year at the cheap place down the road, more expensive place €950 per year so I'd rather get some gear together in my room, might as well..... I've got no problem with being a bit more ghetto in my approach. My area has no decent playgrounds so thought the best option was to do DIY some stuff.

Quote:
Neither fly or dumbbell press, barbell pressing. They wont build you a thick, solid chest or real strength

I thought dumbbell press was a better strength building exercise than barbell because of the compound action. :?

A lot to learn! Eager to get started!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:24 pm 
Gorilla

It sounds like you're going to be restricted some what, so all you can do is what you can.

Basically bench pressing, squatting, Military pressing & deadlifts are the big 4 lifts. These are what trigger the best growth because they are compound movements, multi jointed. They work many muscles where isolation is somewhat limited. Myself, I concentrate my workouts around these, then add in stuff like dumbbells ect if it's not on a barbell it's assistance...

Example. YesterdayI began with warming up & lighter sets before getting going on bench pressing. I'm running a specific program right now which then has me bench pressing again for 5x10 after my heavier sets but at a reduced rate. Between sets I did wide grip pull ups & finished with dumbbell rows...The point of this program is that it focuses on the bigh movement because it's the best for benching. Stuff like dumbbell & flys, which do a have place in certain routines are finishing movements. They help to shape the muscle/finishes you off. Personally I'm not a bodybuilder so I don't bother with jazz like that.

Barbell work is king simply because it let's you lift more....

Last edited by veggiesasquatch on Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:27 pm 
Gorilla

Read starting strength by Mark Rippetoe...you can find it to download from torrent sites if you know where to look

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 2:40 am 
Rabbit

Thanks for the advice.... So barbell beats dumbbell simply because you lift more. Got it!

Will see if I can get that book

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 4:05 am 
Gorilla

In a nut shell yes but there's more to it than that...

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 4:09 am 
Gorilla

On joining a gym all I'd say is that as long as they have a squat rack(s) & olympic bars for the main lifts it's worth it if you can afford it.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:17 am 
Rabbit

Just went down my local gym on your advice and discovered that they have a secret deal which works out to €300 a year approx $400 US... Still a lot for me but I can afford to pay that in one go right now and not worry about bouncing every month. Looks like it would still be cheaper at home even in the first year but whatever... I sold my old bike yesterday and incidentally have 300 in my wallet.

It's close to my house and the park so I'm gonna go there directly after my daily run.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:50 am 
Gorilla

laney wrote:
Just went down my local gym on your advice and discovered that they have a secret deal which works out to €300 a year approx $400 US... Still a lot for me but I can afford to pay that in one go right now and not worry about bouncing every month. Looks like it would still be cheaper at home even in the first year but whatever... I sold my old bike yesterday and incidentally have 300 in my wallet.

It's close to my house and the park so I'm gonna go there directly after my daily run.

Awesome what equipment do they have? So what's the actual goal?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:17 am 
Rabbit

It a fully featured gym, smith machine, free weights, squat rack, many benches, all the isolation machines, loads of those girly cardio things, stretch Armstrong pully things, chin up bars etc etc. going the now for some squats pull ups and bench to get started. Maybe some deadlifts too.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:20 am 
Rabbit

Goal is to gain core and upper back strength to sort out my spine / posture and generally to not look like an anorexic.

I'll go every day even if it's just a quick visit because otherwise I can't make it a routine.