Yep, newbie over here~

So, I just started exercising again after two years, and now that I am getting serious I could use some help.

My goal is to lose about 27 pounds, become leaner and build muscle tone/become stronger.

The special areas that need attention are of course, the ever flabby stomach although EVERYTHING needs work!

Before hitting the gym, while waiting to get a membership, I have been doing cardio.

I know I am already getting stronger, I can easily walk to the gym and back, 3 miles each. I could have ran a good part of it, but by the time I realized that, my feet were already hurting because I need to invest in some real shoes.

Should I focus one one area over the other or just do over all work outs?

For now I have been doing upper body, then lower body, then rest for two days (as long as my muscles are still sore).

I have been eating a lot of high protein stuff, but that's because those are the foods I naturally gravitate towards.

Does it matter what type of fruit I eat? I love bananas, but because I like them so much, I kind of think that they aren't the best fruit to eat, am I just crazy? And strawberries are so expensive, and pineapples a pain to prepare, mangoes are a mess...I know, I am a fruit fuss!

Anyone else having trouble with this six meals a day thing? By the time I figure out and make something it's time to eat again! I need simple stuff or I will drive myself crazy!

I guess my biggest problem is that I find it very hard to organize

If you are just beginning, try focusing on compound rather than isolation exercises. Here is an article that explains it better than I can (http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/sclark55.htm).

I'm not a big fan of fruit either (only bananas for breakfast), but I buy frozen ones and am happy to make a proteins shake with them. That works for me and frozen tends to be cheaper than fresh.

I've never tried six meals a day.. but I will often have nut for snacks in between meals .. they are filling and easy to carry. As long as I pack raw nuts (not roasted and salted), I never overeat on them. You can always just eat half of one meal at each sitting... though I imagine your cereal could get quite soggy while it sits.

I'd love to read this magical study that says you have to eat 6-8 meals aday to gain...point being there isn't such a article.

It's obviously a good theory, a small steady flow of food but it's not going to work for everyone. Personally the 6 meals a thing did absolutely nothing for me & who wants to spend all day eating/making/thinking about food???

I eat four meals a day, decent size & this had worked wonders for me. This is key, what works for you. So figure this out & live your life

As for training, I lost a hell of a lot of weight then went on a weight gain. It's near impossible to lose fat & still gain muscle but there are exceptions. 1) seriously obese people. 2) seriously undertrained people. 3) people on the gear.

You can't eat to burn fat then still expect to build quality muscle, toning is fine & is what I did. X3 6 mile runs, 3 weight sessions (light toning) & martial arts.

Now it's the reverse, I eat big, lift big & do little cardio. Just figure out what you need now & plan accordingly

Ps fruit is fruit..just eat what you like

I kind of agree with that, but since I essentially live off of fruit I need a variety of fruit in order to get enough nutrients, but for the poster of this thread that's probably true. True both nutritionally and in terms of expense. I discovered recently that bananas, dates, pineapple, mango and most fruits you basically pay by the calorie. Berries and grapes per calorie are more expensive in the grocery store.

So, I just started exercising again after two years, and now that I am getting serious I could use some help.

My goal is to lose about 27 pounds, become leaner and build muscle tone/become stronger.

The special areas that need attention are of course, the ever flabby stomach although EVERYTHING needs work!

Before hitting the gym, while waiting to get a membership, I have been doing cardio.

I know I am already getting stronger, I can easily walk to the gym and back, 3 miles each. I could have ran a good part of it, but by the time I realized that, my feet were already hurting because I need to invest in some real shoes.

Should I focus one one area over the other or just do over all work outs?

For now I have been doing upper body, then lower body, then rest for two days (as long as my muscles are still sore).

I have been eating a lot of high protein stuff, but that's because those are the foods I naturally gravitate towards.

Does it matter what type of fruit I eat? I love bananas, but because I like them so much, I kind of think that they aren't the best fruit to eat, am I just crazy? And strawberries are so expensive, and pineapples a pain to prepare, mangoes are a mess...I know, I am a fruit fuss!

Anyone else having trouble with this six meals a day thing? By the time I figure out and make something it's time to eat again! I need simple stuff or I will drive myself crazy!

I guess my biggest problem is that I find it very hard to organize

I eat at least 20 bananas most days. I also buy medjool dates and then soak them to rehydrate them a bit. Most of my meals are shakes that I make in the morning and take with me. Mangos aren't that hard to cut if they are ripe (soft to the touch, but not rotting. If they are ripe the skin should slip off easily). Also if you cut them regularly you get better and faster at doing it. Same can be said for pineapple. If you cut them regularly, you learn to do it quickly and easily. Apples and oranges are also good ones. I also eat about a pound of spinach every day that I add to the four or five shakes I make. In the evening I usually have a salad with a head of green leaf lettuce, or romaine lettuce, celery, tomato, some avocado, zucchini, some type of fruit based dressing and possibly some nuts or seeds. bottom line is I get a bare minimum of 4000 calories (hopefully higher) everyday.

If you are relying on fruit for calories then yes it matters that you get a variety of fruit. But you mentioned high protein foods, so I doubt that's the case for you. Honestly though I'm not aware of high protein vegan foods. There are high carb foods with protein, and high fat foods with protein, but not many that's primary nutrients come from proteins.

For the time being if you are getting stronger then you are growing muscle and you should keep doing what you are doing. When you stop seeing results then you might try something else out.

I need to try dates but they look horrible:/ I love dried fruits but mango dried I

Can't do.

Got any recipes Justin? I have a few if you want them? Some with root veg to like beetroot if you eat that kinda stuff

That would be awesome, I would love to try it. Roots sound kind of horrible to me, but if you've tried it and like it, I'll give it a shot.

I buy medjool dates. The only place I have found them is Kroger Marketplace. Even the normal krogers only carry the bagged stuff which just aren't as good and they are a lot more processed.

I add them anyplace that people would normally add sugar. I add them to shakes (after pitting them of course). I make salad dressing with them (one orange, five dates, a couple sweet peppers and a little water in a blender). I also will occasionally just eat them alone if I'm hungry and waiting on something else to get ready.

Yea, dried fruit is not the best, but since produce is usually priced by the pound, dates and raisins can save a bit on cost, but their quality is obviously lower than fresh hydrated produce. I save them as a additive, or last resort if I'm out of food for some reason.

Cheers man I try nabbing some the wkend:)

You need a juicer which I'm guessing you have

sounds good, I'll be looking for it. I do have a juicer somewhere, but surprisingly I rarely use it. I used to juice a little ginger root and a couple apples and add it to hot water to make a tea at night while settling down with the Mrs. These days I just chow on some watermelon or grapes in the evening.

Lara's are good but expensive; thanks for the recipe!

I also think it's good to make a distinction between fruits. Compare, for example, pineapple, mango, and bananas to berries, oranges, and grapefruits. The first fruits are quite high in calories per pound, while the second group are much lower. So if you are trying to lose weight, focusing on 'lighter' fruits can help satisfy a sweet tooth while still keeping calories down.

Lara's are good but expensive; thanks for the recipe!

I also think it's good to make a distinction between fruits. Compare, for example, pineapple, mango, and bananas to berries, oranges, and grapefruits. The first fruits are quite high in calories per pound, while the second group are much lower. So if you are trying to lose weight, focusing on 'lighter' fruits can help satisfy a sweet tooth while still keeping calories down.

Some day's I eat 6000 cals from mostly pineapple, mango, and bananas. I never eat less than 4000 cals, and I lost around 20 ibs of mostly fat doing it. So, I'm going to guess you probably haven't actually tried what you described above. Don't take my word for it though, check out the youtube video below.