Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Creatine
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 1:44 am 
Rabbit

This has probably been asked a bunch before, but the search isn't working right now...

I presently take in extra protein regularly, and L-Glutamine after a gym visit. I'm thinking of adding in BCAA and Creatine, but does creatine actually help improve strength progression or just aid more in adding bulk?

Post subject: Re: Creatine
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 2:42 am 
Gorilla

Creatine won't help in terms of bulk, other than water retention (which I have only experienced a small amount if any)

Creatines geared more towards helping you get more power/energy=more reps/more weight.

I notice a difference in recovery more than anything. Use it, if you notice any improvement carry on. If not take it out, just drink plenty of water. I don't bother cycling it either. Not everyone likes/responds to it. 

As for bcaa, just take it man...awesome stuff

"Don't fall for that crap that people are peddling on the message boards, in magazines or on TV. Get your shit in order, and get your training in order. Start kicking ass, and take out the crap that doesn't matter" Jim Wendler

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 2:47 am 
Gorilla

Just to add, I buy all my supps in their rawest form so I have complete control over what I take. A usual shake for me is 

X2 25g scoops protein
5g creatine
5g bcaa
5g glutamine

Ill have this mix x2 a day, regardless if its an on/off day (times I take it just alter) if I'm training early I'll take an extra 5g of glutamine/bcaa before hand.

"Don't fall for that crap that people are peddling on the message boards, in magazines or on TV. Get your shit in order, and get your training in order. Start kicking ass, and take out the crap that doesn't matter" Jim Wendler

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 8:42 am 
Manatee

I decided to take Creatine at one point. I started with what I assumed to be a good brand and I noticed no change.

My boyfriend went out shopping and got me this cheap stuff from a supermarket for 1/4 of the price and I noticed a significant "boost"... I started leaving the gym less tired so I put more reps in.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 2:52 pm 
Elephant

when i started it i felt i was much stronger. could have been placebo. hired a coach who really knows his stuff, he took me off of it so i would lose weight and doesnt take it himself, doesnt believe it actually works. i sitll have a big jar so i may cycle it in again in the winter time when im not so worried about staying small. and the good thing is is that its cheap and vegan friendly, so why not?

https://www.youtube.com/user/doctorvannostrand100

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 7:29 am 
Gorilla

Creatine has been proven to work...but again not everyone responds that well to it. Just because he didn't doesn't mean it doesn't work full stop.

Mark Rippetoe did a study on it, point him in that direction

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 9:38 am 
Rabbit

I've had a lot of success with creatine, actually more so since having giving up meet.

ಠ_ಠ

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 2:16 pm 
Gorilla

Tell you what does nothing for me...energy drinks/pre work out drinks, absolutely no effect on me at all

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 2:19 pm 
Rabbit

veggiesasquatch wrote:
Tell you what does nothing for me...energy drinks/pre work out drinks, absolutely no effect on me at all
I drink energy drinks because I love the flavor... that's about it. I can throw one back and go straight to bed. I find that a good pre-workout drink, on the other hand, gives me a better pump which seems to motivate me just that much more. Mostly psychological, but it works for me.

ಠ_ಠ

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 2:49 pm 
Manatee

I love Relentless energy drink though I really, really limit how many I can have as the sugar content is.. astounding..

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 3:23 pm 
Gorilla

I ve tried most things, energy drinks in general for instance while working nights do zip for me.

I ve had all the pre workout stuff, even special mixes the gym will put together & I felt no different

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 11:35 pm 
Rabbit

Ugh. hate energy drinks. I never drink them, and everyone I know who drinks them is not in as good health as I am.

I'll grab some BCAA and Creatine powders this week and see what I think.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 11:35 am 
Rabbit

Used creatine monohydrate after my workout for two years, months on and months off. I never noticed a difference whether I was on or off it so I simply gave all of my supply away a month ago. I know friends who swear by its effectiveness and water retention, but I just never noticed any improvements from it.

I'd recommend trying it for a month or two and seeing if you like it. It'd definitely give you a placebo boost, if nothing else.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 1:56 pm 
Rabbit

i'd buy protein instead.Creatine is overhyped

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 2:47 am 
Rabbit

I take in extra protein, and L-Glutamine also, I was curious about whether it'd help to add Creatine, will get some at some point to give it a go.