Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Less weights = just as good? Really?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:38 pm 
Rabbit

I'm not sure that a range of 20-25 necessarily counts as high-rep training.

One can build plenty of muscle doing sets of 20-25 reps.

For example, try 4 rounds of:

20 chin-ups
25 dips

Also, lmfao at a study based on the use of the knee-extension machine! What a joke!

Post-Injury Single-Arm Training and Food Log!!!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:18 pm 
Stegosaurus

trainer_j0hn wrote:
I'm not sure that a range of 20-25 necessarily counts as high-rep training.

All relative, I suppose - 25 reps with 60% of your 1RM is one thing, doing it with 80+% of your 1RM is a whole different story! :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:27 pm 
Elephant

Right now im still somewhat cutting and maintaining but when i go back to "bulking" (clean this time) i dont plan on going under 6 reps and i still feel confident that i can make gains if i get to or close to failure and keep variety in my routine. The main reason being that i am concerned about injuring myself. i consider myself lucky when i was struggling to get to 5 reps on the main compound lifts. i just saw on someone's facebook about his herniated disc, and have encountered countless others with disc problems or torn ligaments or whatever...that and the fact that my focus now is on gaining size but also staying relatively trim, i'm doing with 6-12 reps on the off season, ill probably warm up with 12, then 10, 8, 6...for mostly every exercise.

https://www.youtube.com/user/doctorvannostrand100

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:00 am 
Gorilla

Most peoples injuries comes from not the weight they're lifting but how shit their
Form is.

People & even "personal" trainers spend no time getting form correct, they are in to much of a hurry to be a hero & want to lift big. Lowering your percentages on main lifts will help to a degree but you still need to be in & around 80% of your max on squats/OHP/deadlifts & bench to gain proper mass.

"Don't fall for that crap that people are peddling on the message boards, in magazines or on TV. Get your shit in order, and get your training in order. Start kicking ass, and take out the crap that doesn't matter" Jim Wendler

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:43 am 
Gorilla

If you go lower then it becomes speed work

"Don't fall for that crap that people are peddling on the message boards, in magazines or on TV. Get your shit in order, and get your training in order. Start kicking ass, and take out the crap that doesn't matter" Jim Wendler

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:22 pm 
Manatee

Here is some info about high reps for you.

I've been following this guys posts for years and I trust him the most out of all of the blogs, opinions, etc that I've seen He goes through lots of research and gives a pretty fair evaluation and opinion on stuff and has also tried a lot of the things he posts about.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:33 pm 
Elephant

Good post, thanks for introducing that blog!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:45 pm 
Gorilla

stcalico wrote:
Here is some info about high reps for you.

I've been following this guys posts for years and I trust him the most out of all of the blogs, opinions, etc that I've seen He goes through lots of research and gives a pretty fair evaluation and opinion on stuff and has also tried a lot of the things he posts about.

It's still adding more volume after heavy work, nothing new & the point I made about being in & around 80% of your maxes is in this article. 80%-90% of your maxes should mean your reaching 10+ reps. When it's pushing more weight it's agiven reps drop.

My program, Jim Wendlers 5/3/1 has you working off 90% of your 1rm so early days it's obvious you hit some higher rep ranges. You don't HAVE to be throwing in singles/doubles to gain but the work still need to be heavy(ish).

Right now I follow the boring but big template, whatever week I'm on followed by 5 sets of 10 reps on the main lift. These go 70%x10 60% 2x10 50% 2x10, I picked those percentages but you can work them how you see fit, again this follows heavy work then volume.It just cuts out BS isolation.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:17 pm 
Elephant

veggiesasquatch wrote:
Most peoples injuries comes from not the weight they're lifting but how shit their
Form is.

So true.

Baby Herc

Smarts [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
http://allthoughtsworkoutdoors.wordpress.com/

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:28 am 
Manatee

Baby Hercules wrote:
veggiesasquatch wrote:
Form is.

So true.

Baby Herc

True. What kinda gets me is when you see hugely muscled guys using momentum in their lifts, really big swings. I'm sitting back thinking "What are you doing and how is it working?" because it shouldn't.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:43 am 
Gorilla

I still find it amazing some people get to a pretty decent size & yet have awful form on things...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:18 pm 
Elephant

The only time I break my vow of silence around people with bad form is when it's some young teen-aged boy working out all alone. You know the type: he's lookin' a little scared, not really sure of what he's doing or even why he's there, skinny and pasty as all hell and desperate to look like the Hulk by next Monday. I usually wait for him to finish a shaky set, then lean in and ask him softly, "Wanna see a trick I learned from a bodybuilder friend of mine? It'll make those a lot easier." He's usually grateful and eager to learn. I've had a couple of them even follow me around and ply me for more information, which I'm very happy to give. Women are also ready to learn. It's usually only the ego-fragile adult males who shrug off any help so I just keep my trap shut around them and try not to laugh when I watch their interpretation of dumbbell curls. Are they called dumbbell curls because of the weights or the people mangling them?

Sometimes I can't resist interfering. Just yesterday, I watched a trio of twenty-something testosterones attempt to leave the weight room without unloading the sled when they were done with it. I pretended to be helpless and asked if they would remove the plates but it was just in order to get them to put their weights back. They didn't need to know I usually use twice the weight they had on there. :lachmal:

Baby Herc

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:25 pm 
Manatee

Baby Hercules wrote:
The only time I break my vow of silence around people with bad form is when it's some young teen-aged boy working out all alone. You know the type: he's lookin' a little scared, not really sure of what he's doing or even why he's there, skinny and pasty as all hell and desperate to look like the Hulk by next Monday. I usually wait for him to finish a shaky set, then lean in and ask him softly, "Wanna see a trick I learned from a bodybuilder friend of mine? It'll make those a lot easier." He's usually grateful and eager to learn. I've had a couple of them even follow me around and ply me for more information, which I'm very happy to give. Women are also ready to learn. It's usually only the ego-fragile adult males who shrug off any help so I just keep my trap shut around them and try not to laugh when I watch their interpretation of dumbbell curls. Are they called dumbbell curls because of the weights or the people mangling them?

Sometimes I can't resist interfering. Just yesterday, I watched a trio of twenty-something testosterones attempt to leave the weight room without unloading the sled when they were done with it. I pretended to be helpless and asked if they would remove the plates but it was just in order to get them to put their weights back. They didn't need to know I usually use twice the weight they had on there. :lachmal:

Baby Herc

Funny thing that, the gym I go to is pretty strict about putting weights back and people messing with stuff they aren't supposed to. I have seen one or two twenty young something hit the weights like they were the next big thing to come into body building though they always seem to remain skinny as hell and flex the muscles they don't have.

I don't lift much on the deadlift (my best lift) but I can get to just under 200lbs if I really, really want to and it's fun watching them look depressed as the semi albino guy with glasses and a three foot pony tail lifts more than they can. You have to break or slightly fracture peoples attitudes some times :)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:02 pm 
Elephant

mythil wrote:
Baby Hercules wrote:
the semi albino

This is a great line. Permission to steal? :lachmal:

Baby Herc

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:51 pm 
Manatee

The high rep sets are great for cardio with some strength tossed in. Keep the rest to no more than 30 sec. (yes I time it). I do it with kettlebells. Dumbells will work too. For more intensity, increase the weight and / or decrease your rest time. Tonight I did two circuits of 6 excercises, 20 reps each, rest 20 sec. Then I finish with some ab work. I have problems with my hip so things like sprints are now out. Plus this beats boring treadmills.