Cutting while still maintaining/gaining muscle

Share your training programs, favorite exercises, training secrets and tips with the rest of the group. Discuss contest preparation, off-season diets, carb depleting and loading, posing, and training programs.

Moderators: Mini Forklift Ⓥ, C.O., Richard, robert, SyrLinus

ChardonHilltopper
Finch

Cutting while still maintaining/gaining muscle

#1 Postby ChardonHilltopper » Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:38 am

What is the best way to maintain and even continue gaining muscle while cutting some fat. I already eat extremely healthy. I am thinking about adding cardio while cutting some calories. Should I increase my reps? Also, how many grams of protein should I be getting daily?

veggiesasquatch
Gorilla

Re: Cutting while still maintaining/gaining muscle

#2 Postby veggiesasquatch » Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:03 pm

Unless you've got some DNA no other human has then....no

You can't maintain,cut & still gain muscle. Serving two masters is impossible, let alone three
"Don't fall for that crap that people are peddling on the message boards, in magazines or on TV. Get your shit in order, and get your training in order. Start kicking ass, and take out the crap that doesn't matter" Jim Wendler

veggiesasquatch
Gorilla

#3 Postby veggiesasquatch » Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:04 pm

You should be consuming an absolute minimum of 1gram protein per body pound
"Don't fall for that crap that people are peddling on the message boards, in magazines or on TV. Get your shit in order, and get your training in order. Start kicking ass, and take out the crap that doesn't matter" Jim Wendler

SunWarrior
Rabbit

#4 Postby SunWarrior » Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:30 am

You can cut and gain at the same time, but you need to have good genetics. I acheive cutting and gaining by cycling my calories. like eating 4600 calories for two days, then for three days eating 2800 calories. Also cycling carbs really helps. Just eat alot of carbs on the bulk days and low carb on the cut days. All calories should come from eating clean.
My Bodyspace: http://bodyspace.bodybuilding.com/VeganBodybuild
My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeTnoPj0ElkFyL_kwjkk8yQ
My Gmail: tylerveganbb@gmail.com
My goal is to become the biggest and best natural bodybuilder of all time, and I'm gonna do it vegan.

Tarz
Elephant

#5 Postby Tarz » Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:51 am

You can cut whilst also adding muscle.

I've put on more muscle recently, and at the same time become more cut.

Yeah do some cardio. It will help you cut and so long as you train the weights hard you can still add muscle. I wouldn't worry too much about cutting the calories.
Davey's favourite tipple was "Blow My Skull", a cocktail he served in half-pint glasses consisting of rum, brandy, gin, port, Madeira, sherry and claret.

Gaia
Elephant

#6 Postby Gaia » Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:56 pm

Newest thing that I am trying to see if it works:
Go thru and read about all three phases of Nutrient Timing System:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/berardi54.htm

This is just a trainer's perspective of the NTS. I have ordered the book, but am trying to do the timing with what I have research so far. Been on it for 2 days now. Energy has gone thru the roof (and I am cutting - but the high glycemic carb during workout and the Anabolic Phase has probably propelled my energy levels into the afternoon and evening). I am also cycling my calories (2 low carb days following a re-feed day), but have planned my caloric intake the same during the Energy Phase/workout and Anabolic Phase, but the Growth Phase is where I play around with the cycling of calories. I am excited to try this out.

stcalico
Manatee

#7 Postby stcalico » Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:33 pm

Here is an article that specifically talks to your question.
If it's important to you, you'll find a way. If it isn't, you'll find an excuse.

Return to “Bodybuilding/Strength Training”