What do you think is the most overrated exercise?

I think the one I hate the most is the clamshell ab crunch machine. Every time I go to the gym I will always see some overweight guy or gal spend most if not their entire duration at the gym doing nothing but high volume/low intensity reps. It's frustrating because it indicates to me that these people are buying into the myth of spot reduction, the belief that they can target areas of the body to reduce fat such as doing crunches in order to remove body fat which is of course complete bullshit. Crunches burn hardly any calories and they don't even do much for building core strength, how can people expect to build core strength doing exercises where you're sitting down? It doesn't make any sense. They'd be much better off doing a resistance exercise that actually does burn a lot of calories like front squats/back squats, hip sled, lunges, etc...

I live in Kentucky so I know a lot of fat people who come to the gym and they look the same years later. Their routine is always the stupid clamshell crunch machine, maybe some other crunch varients, and then an hour or more walking 2 miles per hour like a zombie around the track or on the treadmill. I couldn't imagine staying motivated with a routine that is so boring and ineffective. Also, people should realize that while working out can help you lose weight, it's not nearly as important as diet. These people I see working out I'll see walking to the gym carrying bags of KFC and other diseased processed meat they pollute their bodies with.

Great topic.

I agree with Fallen Horse...the ab crunch and all its variations are way overrated. IMO you should never have to do a crunch to have an exceptional core. But I will say I'm a sucker for bicep curls.

Heh, I'll do bicep curls only if I'm about to go out on a date and want that pumped up look on my arms. I think bicep curls are probably one of the first exercises most of us did when we first walked into a gym and that's fine. Anyone who does it in a squat rack though deserves a kick in the nuts.