Pea Protein powder

Share your training programs, favorite exercises, training secrets and tips with the rest of the group. Discuss contest preparation, off-season diets, carb depleting and loading, posing, and training programs.

Moderators: Mini Forklift Ⓥ, C.O., Richard, robert, SyrLinus

mythil
Manatee

Re: Pea Protein powder

#16 Postby mythil » Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:53 pm

James wrote:
mythil wrote:One thing I did find which annoyed me is an advert for vegan bodybuilding powder that said "Vegan diets are typically low in protein".. Says who?

To be fair most vegans I know have shockingly low levels of protein in their diets. Not helped by the fact that some pro-vegan literature you'll see seeks to make a virtue of this fact.

Regarding Bulkpowders, their customer service is terrible. Last few times I ordered it took ages to arrive & it's very difficult to get hold of them (they don't publish their phone number anywhere so I had to get hold of it on the grapevine). If you want decent cheap supplements & good service your best bet is http://www.ironscience.co.uk/.

really? Mine arrived in two days
"Hard work beats talent when talent doesn’t work hard." - Tim Notke
"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." - Sir Winston Churchill

foodkf
Finch

#17 Postby foodkf » Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:01 am

mythil wrote:Don't see why a guy who kills animals for TV is popular.

hmm yeah dude...you mean its not to be popular :boxer:

NOMn
Finch

#18 Postby NOMn » Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:32 am

DON'T DO IT!!

Split-peas are a toxic species raw, like kidney beans. If you eat pea-protein powder you will get horrible, horrible gas!
current progress:
1/11/13: 157.6 lb 2/11/13: 165 lb
3/1/13: 168.4 lb

"They ask for my secret, I tell them it's 'hard work'. They ask for something new. They've heard it before." -Rolsey

VeganEssentials
Stegosaurus

#19 Postby VeganEssentials » Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:27 pm

NOMn wrote:DON'T DO IT!!

Split-peas are a toxic species raw, like kidney beans. If you eat pea-protein powder you will get horrible, horrible gas!

Not true for all brands. Nutra Summa makes a bloat-free pea protein that actually tastes pretty darned good and tends to not give people the same gas issues that some other brands who cut corners on quality often do.
"A 'hardgainer' is merely someone who hasn't bothered to try enough different training methods to learn what is actually right for their own damned body." - anonymous

mythil
Manatee

#20 Postby mythil » Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:48 pm

I'll be switching to soy/hemp soon anyway
"Hard work beats talent when talent doesn’t work hard." - Tim Notke
"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." - Sir Winston Churchill

maybenot
Manatee

#21 Postby maybenot » Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:10 pm

Soy protein gives some good results, but gives me gas.

The best protein so far I tried is SunWarrior Rice Protein. Tastes good, digests good, good results =)

tbayguy
Finch

#22 Postby tbayguy » Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:13 pm

Yellow Pea Protein Isolate is the main protein used in many Vegan protein powders like Vega, Progressive, Proteins Plus etc. 28g in a 33 or so gram scoop is super high. I have read you should shoot for a ration of 70% yellow pea/20% brown rice and 10% hemp proteins to get a good amino acid profile. I love yellow pea and it does not give you gas. Sure Hemp is the best veg source in my opinion because of the profile and how its best for the body but also a very good choice is Pumpkin Seed Protein powder. Both it and hemp have lots of chlorophyll. Hemp is the least processed as well. Soy in most brands is the most heavily processed and I really think it inhibits the absorbtion of minerals and vitamins in the intestines. I use Now Sports Yellow Pea. It is the only one I have found in Canada. Unless you buy a product like Vega or Progressive Vegan Protein which already includes it.

oldlunk
Rabbit

#23 Postby oldlunk » Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:50 pm

To get a complete amino acid profile you must combine pea and rice. pea is low in methionine 0.82 where rice methionine is at 3.17. Both have a good level of leucine at 8.3-8.74 which there is a nice article on here about it writen by Derek Tresize.

dtperkins22
Finch

#24 Postby dtperkins22 » Sat May 18, 2013 6:13 am

Ignite Ultra-V pea protein is what I have always used. It tastes awesome and is made right here in the UK http://www.natures-whey.co.uk/product/i ... chocolate/

oldlunk
Rabbit

#25 Postby oldlunk » Sun May 19, 2013 7:08 am

Try truenutrition.com I have made two orders with them so far took 1 week to recieve. I custom blended pea, rice, sachi incha, and potatoe the last one with digestive enzymes and vitamins $9.88/lbs bought 4 lbs. and two flavor paks.

muchidna
Manatee

#26 Postby muchidna » Sun May 19, 2013 8:37 pm

i recently ordered 4kg of pea/rice blend, tastes much better than sunwarrior, doesnt overpower stuff like sunwarrior does, it's vanilla and tastes good with frozen raspberries + soy milk + ice and maybe soy yoghurt as a smoothie

but yeah, it's a very smooth pea/rice vanilla blend, mixes very well and dissolves fast, still no milkshake like every protein, but best tasting *affordable* protein i've tried

though i think the product is only sold in AU

JubNZ
Manatee

#27 Postby JubNZ » Sat May 25, 2013 4:35 am

Tried the chocolate flavoured Sports Vega product for the first time today, wholly moley that is a yummy shake!
Just do it.

dk69
Rabbit

#28 Postby dk69 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:40 pm

C.O. wrote:Hahaha Vega is the best tasting protein powder by far and its a quality mix of several proteins

i take vega sport pre-workout and like it, but the protein made me throw up :/

dk69
Rabbit

#29 Postby dk69 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:46 pm

James wrote:
mythil wrote:One thing I did find which annoyed me is an advert for vegan bodybuilding powder that said "Vegan diets are typically low in protein".. Says who?

To be fair most vegans I know have shockingly low levels of protein in their diets. Not helped by the fact that some pro-vegan literature you'll see seeks to make a virtue of this fact.

Regarding Bulkpowders, their customer service is terrible. Last few times I ordered it took ages to arrive & it's very difficult to get hold of them (they don't publish their phone number anywhere so I had to get hold of it on the grapevine). If you want decent cheap supplements & good service your best bet is http://www.ironscience.co.uk/.

multiple MDs and PhDs I have met and seen in conference advocate for lower protein, around 10-15% of your daily caloric intake. However, that is all types of protein, meat included. They say they do not see ill effects of higher plant protein, when eaten as whole foods. of couse to gain you will need more protein.

Return to “Bodybuilding/Strength Training”