What's the most you can run and still build muscle?

Emrys

Also what would be a good routine? I want to run more but seems to be hard to work out a routine. Currently I'm doing:

Day 1 - 40min run.

Day 2 - 40min run fullbody workout.

Day 3 - rest

Day 4 - rest

Day 5 - repeat

Would 2 days running, 1 day run + workout, then 1 day rest be enough rest time? I've though of running M, T, W, T, F then rest S, S with a workout on friday but I don't seem to get results working out only once per week I seem to lose strength.

Edit: Also the gains don't really have to be that fast or optimal. I'm very patient. However I don't want to lose any muscle and would like to make regular gains.

Edited by Emrys

I hear 2-3 times of interval training a week is what sheds the fat, and with your strenght training in between you should be fine I'd imagine. However, just straight running for that amount of time is not really effective over time and not even necessary I don't think. I do really short burst of interval training before and after my workouts...for example 15-20 min before and 15min after. Sprint 1 min, rest 1 min,...the purpose is to get that heart rate up to max, then drop it back down. When you train like that, you don't have to train as long. the bonus is that your body to continues to burn all day long! Good luck! hope my humble advice helped.

Not really planning on running any marathons(although I'm not totally ruling it out maybe would like to run 1 in my lifetime). I really only run for the health benefits. Right now I'm comfortable at 40 mins @ 5mph. I kind of want a balance of strength (muscles) and fitness (cardio).

Well right now I'm running half of the days in a set period of time. It works out to be 3 or 4 times per week averaging at 3.5. Hopefully maybe up that to 4 or 5 maximum per week. Doesn't have to be exactly on a weekly schedule though. I just like there to be a pattern.

I am spitballing it here but I think you would be able to manage 3-4 days of running for 30-40 minutes without losing muscle mass. While doing a build up to a marathon I managed running five days a week and wasn't until I hit 35+ miles plus a week that I started to see my muscle mass start to take a hit. There is something to be said for conditioning here, obviously I built up to that milage so my body was a bit used to running and I also lifted three times a day to hold off the loss of muscle mass. On the days that I ran and lifted I spaced them out by a few hours.

Granted my sample size of one really isn't scientific but should give you a starting point. I think with a decent scale and diligent documenting workouts you will likely be able to figure out when your running is impacting your lean muscle mass.

I am spitballing it here but I think you would be able to manage 3-4 days of running for 30-40 minutes without losing muscle mass. While doing a build up to a marathon I managed running five days a week and wasn't until I hit 35+ miles plus a week that I started to see my muscle mass start to take a hit. There is something to be said for conditioning here, obviously I built up to that milage so my body was a bit used to running and I also lifted three times a day to hold off the loss of muscle mass. On the days that I ran and lifted I spaced them out by a few hours.

Granted my sample size of one really isn't scientific but should give you a starting point. I think with a decent scale and diligent documenting workouts you will likely be able to figure out when your running is impacting your lean muscle mass.

I've tried to be a runner and build muscle at the same time and I found that I simply couldn't eat enough good vegan calories. I eat all day, almost non stop. I was marathon training and ended up dropping from 195lbs down to 165lbs in spite of trying my damdest to gain weight. Granted I was running a few hours every second day. Anyhow I gave up on running (after completing a marathon) and now I'm 225lbs about 1.5 years later with significant gains in muscle size without loosing much leanness.

I would suggest not running every single day. I learned the hard way (many different running injuries) that the body needs a day of rest in between running days, at least until your body really really gets conditioned to the abuse. So maybe your pattern could be to run every second day? Try restricting yourself to no more than 5km per day and see if you can maintain your weight. You'll need to up your calorie intake.

as was said earlier, I would suggest doing High Intensity Interval Training. It's a much better use of time.

Actually personal experience is one of the best things I could ask for since you've already been there. Looks like I'm already pretty close to my maximum. Maybe I'll hold off adding more at the moment and see how things go.

@Evader - I kind of like the 2 days rest after workout to recover. Running in that window seems to rack on the soreness. At least for me anyway.

• 3 weeks later...

If you want to run to make your legs and thighs strong and you are unable to do that i would suggest you to do some other exercises which is not that much tiring but really effective.

Cycling and swimming.

Cycling is very good for your thighs and legs it strengthens them and makes your muscles strong.

Swimming makes your overall body strong improves your blood flow in the body.

• 1 month later...

Answer: SPRINTS.

Look at Olympic sprinters (They are huge/muscles) and look at your runners/marathoners, they are skinny with little muscle mass.

I do "Crazy 8's". I sprint as fast as I can for 80 yards....walk back and do it again.. 8 times. My legs are blowing up!

FYI, I am a power lifer squatting 550 and dead lifting 600 pounds. My bench is 385. I dropped 30 pounds in 3 months. AND, I'm a happy Vegan!

Good luck with your training, everyone here has great advice! Find out which ones work best for you. You may notice that they will ALL work for you simply by mixing up your routines and following everyone's ideas posted on here for you.