Extremely uncomfortable levels of energy after PWO

z0rzz

Hey everyone. For the past month and a half, I've noticed that my preworkout supplements have started to feel very abnormal. Whenever I take them before my workout, I only feel little-to-moderate levels of energy during my actual lift. Then, for literally HOURS afterward, and as of recently the rest of the day, my heartrate is elevated just enough that I'm at an extremely uncomfortable state of energy and alertness. Even if I go all out and hit the gym hard (deadlifts, power movements, bench etc) for 1.5-2 hours, I still just feel absolutely wretched feelings of alertness afterward. I can't read, concentrate, study, or relax, which in college is not a cost I can afford.

I've tried not only taking the preworkout longer and longer before my lift (waiting up to 1 hour before heading to the gym), but reducing the amount as well. With preworkouts I used to take 2.5-3 scoops of and feel absolutely fine. Now I've reduced it to 0.8-1 scoops and the feelings of adrenaline just get worse and worse.

I'm thinking maybe I'm not getting a specific vitamin/mineral in my vegan diet that I wasn't aware of? I know I don't eat much iron - maybe that has something to do with it?

I'm preparing to make the jump to clean workouts/no PWOs. Over the past 2 years they've honestly gotten me through really heavy lifts and helped me do days that I really had no desire to do, but now that my workouts are as much apart of my day as waking up, they're more of a cost than anything. Let alone this whole energy problem.

I don't take pre workout supps, as mr bear said you can't beat carbing up, its also good to eat some fruit and have a cup of coffee before training.

In regards to iron levels try raisins+dried apricots, all bran, wholemeal bread, pumpkin seeds and plenty of beans! Also, iron is useless without vitamin C so load up on it

My pre-workout only consists of a cup of black coffee and an apple. I know a few people that have taken PWO, and have found themselves relying on them constantly or they risk a huge loss in strength. Bear said it best, carbs, rest and proper nutrition will help your workouts in the long run

Mine is now similar to the above . . . I workout early AM, have a green food drink as soon as I roll out of bed and chomp on a piece of fruit right before workiing out. If I need an extra boost, will have a small cup of Joe. A short breathing meditation before my workout also helps with focus. Previously used PWOs but took care to cycle off every four to six weeks and cleanse my system for a week or two. The body adapts to stimulants pretty quickly and over time, they can mess with your metabolism.

I also have never used PW supplements, other than one time I tried a Vega sample to see what it was like. I normally just eat a couple whole fruits (apples, pears, orange, etc) about 10-15 minutes prior to the workout. If I'm feeling a bit run down that day, I'll also take an Emergen-C packet (vitamin-only powder that mixes with water for a fizzy drink, has a bunch of b12 in it). I've done the coffee before lifting on occasion as well.