Help - Always Plateau on Overhead Press

Share your training programs, favorite exercises, training secrets and tips with the rest of the group. Discuss contest preparation, off-season diets, carb depleting and loading, posing, and training programs.

Moderators: Mini Forklift Ⓥ, C.O., Richard, robert, SyrLinus

blabbate
Gorilla

Help - Always Plateau on Overhead Press

#1 Postby blabbate » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:56 am

Hey all. I've been rebuilding for the past 6 months or so after taking some time away from the weights due to a rotator cuff issue, and I'm running into the same problem I always have. I plateau on Overhead Press around 125 lbs and just can't bust through.

I'm doing 5/3/1 and everything else is progressing just fine. Squat and DL are back over 300, Bench back up to 175, all with consistent, steady gains. But OHP has stalled for a couple of months. Diet is about 300-500 calories above BMR on weightlifting days.

I've been doing 5/3/1 OHP, as I said, and tried adding one-arm dumbbell presses as assitance to see if they'd kick-start anything, but no luck. Any recommendations on ... well, anything? Better assistance, switching programs, etc? I'll try pretty much anything at this point.

Thanks,
Bruce
--
Bruce

VeganJT666
Rabbit

Re: Help - Always Plateau on Overhead Press

#2 Postby VeganJT666 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:56 pm

I encountered the same problem, I'm running 5/3/1 and my OHP has stalled bigtime. This video helped me a lot, it basically showed me that I was doing a lot wrong when OHP.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqKhLR1zRaU

blabbate
Gorilla

Re: Help - Always Plateau on Overhead Press

#3 Postby blabbate » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:04 pm

Very cool, thanks! I'll make sure I'm doing exactly what he advises and see if it makes a difference. I bet I'm screwing up in at least one of those ways.
--
Bruce

Return to “Bodybuilding/Strength Training”