Work out regime - when to rest, etc - beginner

Share your training programs, favorite exercises, training secrets and tips with the rest of the group. Discuss contest preparation, off-season diets, carb depleting and loading, posing, and training programs.

Moderators: Mini Forklift Ⓥ, C.O., Richard, robert, SyrLinus

Work out regime - when to rest, etc - beginner

#1 Postby yes » Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:16 pm

Hello all,

I'd really appreciate some help. Some background info: I've done weights before but am now going back after a break, I am quite weak and thin, 19 years old, male, went vegan 2 months ago.

I've just started working out properly, and I'm basically just wondering if I'm doing it right, as in getting enough rest, eating ok and so on... My work-out week looks like this:
Mon - swimming or running
Tues - weights
Wednes - swimming/running in the morning or early afternoon, Ju Jitsu in the evening
Thurs - weights
Fri - swimming/running in the morning or early afternoon, Ju Jitsu in the evening
Satur - weights
Sun - nothing, sometimes walks

So I'm wondering if I'm getting enough rest for my work-out to be efficient, and if I'm doing enough cardio to lose fat? Also, the Ju Jitsu includes some press-ups, sit-ups, heavy lifts etc - is this a bad thing, as I do it on what are essentially my 'rest' days? I think I eat about 20 - 25g of protein per meal, from 4 to 6 times a day. I weight about 60kg. I don't have an awful lot of money but I try to keep calories and fat down and protein up - I eat mostly vegetables, legumes, toast and cereal and nuts/seeds.

Re: Work out regime - when to rest, etc - beginner

#2 Postby Compassion » Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:31 pm

What are you trying to accomplish? Do you want to get bigger? Do you have any pictures? I am interested to know if you are an ectomorph, or just not eating enough maybe?

As for the workout, if you are trying to get bigger, I would cut ATLEAST one of those cardio days, if not all of them.

I am hitting the gym 6-7 days a week, but that is what works for my body. Everyone is different. When I first started, I hit each body part once per week and did cardio on the last day. This was to give each muscle group enough time to recover. after a couple months, I started doing splits so I could hit each body part twice per week.

I would suggest something like that, but only you will know what works for you. Eat lots and eat often. Drink lots of water and lift heavy. I try to do 4-5 sets of each exercise, and by the last set I want to STRUGGLE to get that 5th or 6th rep.

Everyone has their own way that works for them, and this is what is working for me. I have only been working out for a few months, but have seen lots of gains in both size and strength in this time. To the point where people are making comments daily.

Return to “Bodybuilding/Strength Training”