lower back strength?

In addition to deadlifts (which work the lower back isometrically) various 'superman' and 'plank' exercises work that area well.

Superman/woman: lying prone (face-down) on floor, lift opposite arm and leg, focusing on stretching the limbs UP and out. Then move on to liftiing both arms and legs off floor (flying, like a super hero). Either go for reps, with a long hold at the top, or go for endurance, holding at the top as long as you can.

A variation on this, that engages the core more, is to get on all fours (in 'cat' position) and lift opposite arm and leg and hold.

For planks (which work the entire core), get down on elbows and toes and hold. Add intenisty by lifting up one foot and holding, then switch feet. You can also do this on hands, in a 'push-up' position.

You can do back extensions over a stability ball.

I have been doing planks, but they don't seem to do the trick. I have not tried the superwoman yet, but it sounds like a good idea. I am a bit timid at the dead lifts, because I am always afraid I will injure my back. I have some lower back strength, but I guess I am looking for definition. Thanks... more ideas are welcome.

Liz

I am a bit timid at the dead lifts, because I am always afraid I will injure my back. I have some lower back strength, but I guess I am looking for definition.

Definition is achieved by decreasing bodyfat %

Apart from hevy lifts, as deadlift, cleans and squatting movements, there are only exercises that will also help you get a strong core, but no way near as strong. Bodyweight exercises like hypers and planks are okay for health and fitness, and will build muslce to some degree. It's all a question of what your goals are.

I have been working to decrease my body fat %, and that seems to go pretty well. I guess my goal is to get muscle definition. Silly as it sounds, I want to look like I COULD compete in NATURAL BB contests, even though I probably won't. I lost a bunch of weight over the last year and a half, and I am starting to look scrawny. I want to "buff" up.

I have been doing planks, but they don't seem to do the trick. I have not tried the superwoman yet, but it sounds like a good idea. I am a bit timid at the dead lifts, because I am always afraid I will injure my back. I have some lower back strength, but I guess I am looking for definition. Thanks... more ideas are welcome.

Liz

Go for higher rep, lower weight deads. Try them out with a lower weight you feel comfortable with and I bet you'll really feel your lower back tighten up

I am a bit timid at the dead lifts, because I am always afraid I will injure my back.

Try a Romanian (stiff legged) deadlift, this way:

Start with light weights to get the form down (you're right to be concerned about lower back on this one, as bad form, which I've even seen on exercise videos by instructors! , can cause injury). Hold two dumbells in front of your thighs, and set up good posture (chest up, shoulders back and down, natural lordotic curve in your lower back locked in). (Don't be overly ambitious with weights here. In fact, as you are working on form, go embarassingly light! If you do the move right, you will still feel it, and you will lock in good form, which is particularly important here. You'll be able to progress to heavier weights safely, and the exercse will be more effective in the long run.)

Now imagine yourself like one of those toy birds that dip their beaks into water and straighten back up again--they only bend at the 'hips,' and everything above that is locked into place.

As you lower the dumbells, keeping them close to your legs, almost as if you were shaving with them) stick your butt out, so the sit bones are pointing backwards like headlights on a car. Keep your chest up, your shoulders back and down, and that lordotic curve. If you feel yourself rounding at any time, you've gone too far (it's the rounding of the back that is the injury risk factor). Keep your gaze somewhat ahead of your feet, to avoid rounding of the upper back (by looking down).

To come back up, push through the heels, and feel like your chest and rear shoulder area are coming up at the same time, almost withh the chest leading the way somewhat (you don't want to get rounding on the 'up' part of the move). Again, the upper body stays locked into postion, with no spinial movement whatsoever.

If you do this correctly, it hits the glutes and hamstrings (always a benefit!) and also workts the lower back. You may feel soreness in teh lower back, but it should be in the muscle, and a result of using it in a way it's not used to being used. If there is any pinching feeling, that's a 'bad' pain.