Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: New Meal Plan = New Me
PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:40 pm 
Gorilla

Today my trainer did an assessment of my progress, which was both positive, and negative. The positive was that my BF% is still at about 18%. Also, I have lost another 12 pounds over the last month or so... My measurements were also surprising, in that I lost three inches (from my previous measurements) from my neck, chest, waist, hips, biceps, calves, and thighs. I'm really only disappointed with the latter three measurements.

My current composition is: 5' 7", 164lbs, 18% body fat, 33 years old.
My current goal is: 160lbs, 10% body fat.

As I mentioned in a previous post, I've only been consuming about 1600 cals per day, roughly macros at 100g protein, 50g fat, 200g carbs. Apparently, that is too few calories, and I have likely lost some muscle, which would explain the drop in my bicep/leg measurements.

Tonight I spent some time revamping my diet... Would you mind taking a look, and giving me some tips?

Thanks!

Six meals, split over the day, to include:

M1 – 4 oz seitan, 5 oz lentils: 365 cals, 3.5g fat, 42.5g carb, 43g protein
M2 – 8oz tofu: 346 cals, 18.6g fat, 8g carb, 37g protein
M3 – 6oz tempeh: 396 cals, 19.8g fat, 27.6g carb, 36g protein
M4 – 2 slices Ezekiel, 0.7oz Peanut Butter: 276.9 cals, 11.01g fat, 33.85g carb, 12.97g protein
M5 – 6oz tofu, 6oz broccoli: 320 cals, 14.6g fat, 17.4g carb, 33g protein
M6 – 12oz watermelon: 108 cals, 1.2g fat, 25.2g carb, 2.4g protein

Total Cals: 1,812
Total Fat: 68g
Total Carb: 155g
Total Protein: 164g

Thoughts? Too few calories? Too much fat?

Post subject: Re: New Meal Plan = New Me
PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:24 pm 
VBB Moderator

It looks decent, but you need a lot more greens in there. You should also have a good variety from day to day, you shouldn't be eating those exact things every day. Protein/fat/carb ratios are important but don't forget your body needs vitamins, minerals, fiber, etc to fuction at its best. You have some in there but you could use a lot more.

Just my 2 cents,

-Dylan

Post subject: Re: New Meal Plan = New Me
PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:40 am 
Gorilla

C.O. wrote:
It looks decent, but you need a lot more greens in there. You should also have a good variety from day to day, you shouldn't be eating those exact things every day. Protein/fat/carb ratios are important but don't forget your body needs vitamins, minerals, fiber, etc to fuction at its best. You have some in there but you could use a lot more.

Just my 2 cents,

-Dylan

Thanks, Dylan, for the tips. I'm glad I am at least not totally off-base. I was thinking about maybe eating this way on my training days (3-4 days per week), and then going back to my previous, lower calorie diet on off days. The previous diet included oatmeal, apples, tofu+broccoli, watermelon, peaches, and the occasional mixed greens salad. All of that being said, I neglected to include the supplements I started this week, which include: vegan multivitamin w/ supergreens, HMB (vegetarian cellulose caps, yay!), and these green coffee extract caps I got from truenutrition.com.

Have you ever tried HMB? I'm curious as to how it worked for anyone, since I am new to the supplement. Should I expect dramatic, or subtle results? The tabs were kind of pricey, so I hope that they at least provide some benefit.