Question about dips

Share your training programs, favorite exercises, training secrets and tips with the rest of the group. Discuss contest preparation, off-season diets, carb depleting and loading, posing, and training programs.

Moderators: Mini Forklift Ⓥ, C.O., Richard, robert, SyrLinus

themadturnip
Finch

Question about dips

#1 Postby themadturnip » Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:26 pm

Hey everyone,

I have a question about dips - I have an elbow issue that will only allow me to do shallow dips. I can't quite make it to 90 degrees - am I wasting my time with this exercise, or will doing shallow dips still hep put on mass? Currently, I'm wearing a weight belt with 1 25lb plate when I dip.

Thanks

HIT Rob
Gorilla

Re: Question about dips

#2 Postby HIT Rob » Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:52 pm

Contrary to popular belief, a full range of motion is not entirely necessary, Partial reps and static holds can and have been extreme productive for many (including myself), as they allow for MAXIMAL muscular contractions, while at the same time, saving your joints and connective tissues as your not moving through positions of disadvantaged leverage.

knomad56
Rabbit

#3 Postby knomad56 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:26 am

I'll second HIT Rob's comment, professional body builders use tons of different variations on exercises to see gains, no reason that shouldnt work for you! think about 21's (barbell curl) where you do 7 half way down, 7 half way up, and 7 full range. This one exercise has a legacy of efficiency and that's a prime example of "partial reps" being good exercises.

themadturnip
Finch

#4 Postby themadturnip » Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:31 am

Perfect guys - thanks for the response!

-N

Return to “Bodybuilding/Strength Training”