Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:42 pm 
Offline
Elephant

Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm
Posts: 1448
jonathan wrote:
jesus, i just found a picture of the young dwayne 'the rock' johnson and his dad! look at the size of his dad - no wonder the rock is so well built!

Image

anyways, as i couldnt find a picture of the rock without a shirt on, his dad serves very well to show the kind of proportions i wish to acheive. do you guys think that at 6foot 7.5, 275lb would get me there?


It's not because of his dad, it's because he is Samoan. YAY POLYNESIANS! Did you see Tevita? Same genes :P


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:43 pm 
Offline
Elephant

Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm
Posts: 1448
Stuck in my 270's....Gosh that 2 weeks killed me, I prolly wouldve been 290 by now.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:08 am 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2005 8:05 pm
Posts: 21052
Location: Austin, TX
Hey Big K,

270 isn't a bad place to be! You are one massive and strong Vegan Dude!

I always tell people about you, about how strong you are, etc. People are amazed!

Keep it up man,

Robert

_________________

Check out my Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness Book on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Vegan-Bodybuildin ... 497&sr=1-1


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:15 am 
Offline
Elephant

Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm
Posts: 1448
robert wrote:
Hey Big K,

270 isn't a bad place to be! You are one massive and strong Vegan Dude!

I always tell people about you, about how strong you are, etc. People are amazed!

Keep it up man,

Robert


THanks, I also started cardio 2 weeks ago, I love it!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 5:37 pm 
Offline
Gorilla

Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm
Posts: 897
Location: West Virginia
Hey I sent you a pm Kollision about posting your numbers at VF. It's been a couple of weeks and you never gave any kind of response at all.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:24 pm 
Offline
Elephant

Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm
Posts: 1448
Jay wrote:
Hey I sent you a pm Kollision about posting your numbers at VF. It's been a couple of weeks and you never gave any kind of response at all.


Hi there Jay. Sorry I never got a PM from ya. Could you PM me or tell me here? Sorry.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 9:35 am 
Offline
Gorilla

Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm
Posts: 897
Location: West Virginia
Huh. That could cause a lot of problems if pm's sometimes don't work here. Could create lots of misunderstandings.

I asked if you could please register at veganfitness.net and post your numbers in the strength table? That bench is very impressive. We need to show off as much as possible.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 10:24 am 
Offline
Elephant

Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm
Posts: 1448
Jay wrote:
Huh. That could cause a lot of problems if pm's sometimes don't work here. Could create lots of misunderstandings.

I asked if you could please register at veganfitness.net and post your numbers in the strength table? That bench is very impressive. We need to show off as much as possible.


I don't want to show off, reasons why I barely post my statistics even here.

Perhaps I got the PM and I erased it by accident? I was cleaning out my box some time ago. You can post my stats if you want and link it here, but I really do not like to go showing off, only with the people here since I know them.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 10:32 am 
Offline
Gorilla

Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm
Posts: 897
Location: West Virginia
No I can't post your stats. They won't let things be done that way. To much like just hearsay.

I understand about not wanting to show off. I feel the same, more so because I'm not really that impressive anyway. I think though we sort of should, from an activism point of view, you know? Actually I need to pose and stuff like Robert does but I feel silly showing off. I guess I should take my own advice better.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 10:35 am 
Offline
Elephant

Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm
Posts: 1448
Jay wrote:
No I can't post your stats. They won't let things be done that way. To much like just hearsay.

I understand about not wanting to show off. I feel the same, more so because I'm not really that impressive anyway. I think though we sort of should, from an activism point of view, you know? Actually I need to pose and stuff like Robert does but I feel silly showing off. I guess I should take my own advice better.


It's cool and I understand your point. I seriously though, do not want to go there, and make my first post just on my stats. You can relay info on my lifts, and lead them here and perhaps get more ties between VF and the people on this board (as I have been seeing lately).

As for yours not being impressive, don't say that mate. Theres always going to be someone thats behind you in terms of lifts, be happy of what you do lift right now bro. It's a journey that we all are on, and going forward, we can only develop (at least I hope that for most people).


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 11:06 am 
Offline
Elephant
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2005 3:39 pm
Posts: 1108
Location: Edinburgh, Scotland
kollision wrote:
Jay wrote:
No I can't post your stats. They won't let things be done that way. To much like just hearsay.

I understand about not wanting to show off. I feel the same, more so because I'm not really that impressive anyway. I think though we sort of should, from an activism point of view, you know? Actually I need to pose and stuff like Robert does but I feel silly showing off. I guess I should take my own advice better.


It's cool and I understand your point. I seriously though, do not want to go there, and make my first post just on my stats. You can relay info on my lifts, and lead them here and perhaps get more ties between VF and the people on this board (as I have been seeing lately).

As for yours not being impressive, don't say that mate. Theres always going to be someone thats behind you in terms of lifts, be happy of what you do lift right now bro. It's a journey that we all are on, and going forward, we can only develop (at least I hope that for most people).


theres nothing wrong with going straight in with your stats. im pretty sure that that was amongst my first posts. in terms of getting to know people, its good to know what other peoples training priorities are, and if you lift for strength (which im sure you do with the bench) then knowing what you lift is important.
because of your bench press max, a number of people already know of you so it would be great if you could post in person.

i think i remember that you dont squat much or deadlift, but give it a try for a max on both and im sure that your total will be well over 1100lbs.

jonathan

_________________
Squat
Press
Eat
Repeat


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 12:27 pm 
Offline
Elephant

Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm
Posts: 1448
jonathan wrote:
kollision wrote:
Jay wrote:
No I can't post your stats. They won't let things be done that way. To much like just hearsay.

I understand about not wanting to show off. I feel the same, more so because I'm not really that impressive anyway. I think though we sort of should, from an activism point of view, you know? Actually I need to pose and stuff like Robert does but I feel silly showing off. I guess I should take my own advice better.


It's cool and I understand your point. I seriously though, do not want to go there, and make my first post just on my stats. You can relay info on my lifts, and lead them here and perhaps get more ties between VF and the people on this board (as I have been seeing lately).

As for yours not being impressive, don't say that mate. Theres always going to be someone thats behind you in terms of lifts, be happy of what you do lift right now bro. It's a journey that we all are on, and going forward, we can only develop (at least I hope that for most people).


theres nothing wrong with going straight in with your stats. im pretty sure that that was amongst my first posts. in terms of getting to know people, its good to know what other peoples training priorities are, and if you lift for strength (which im sure you do with the bench) then knowing what you lift is important.
because of your bench press max, a number of people already know of you so it would be great if you could post in person.

i think i remember that you dont squat much or deadlift, but give it a try for a max on both and im sure that your total will be well over 1100lbs.

jonathan


I don't squat because it makes a lot of cuts on my trapezius. As for deadlift, I just never done it (althought I know it's good for the glutes and all.

I personally do not care about others finding out my lifts, its more for myself really. I just post it here because its like another home and robs a cool guy as well as everyone else. I've been over to that site and it's like a whole new world, so Im sticking here hehe.

If people like my lifts, hey thats cool. But I really do not see anything that big over them, maybe it's just me.

But thanks.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 2:10 am 
Offline
Stegosaurus
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm
Posts: 3072
Location: Waukesha, WI
God, my weight has been everywhere this past decade -

273 lbs. and horribly fat and lazy in 1995.

Got down to 230 during the summer of contant skateboarding in 1996 (out for about 4 hours every night after work)

Started lifting and dieting heavily in 1996, got down to 192, the lowest my weight has been since I was 13 years old.

Weight went up a bit and fluctuated between 200 and 220 for a while, settling down eventually in the low 200s for a few years. Stopped skating for the most part, kept lifting (albeit not very intelligently.)

Went vegan 5 years ago at 210 lbs. and started training with more knowledge a year or two afterward (courtesy of becoming an ISSA certified fitness trainer at the time). Weight climbed up since then to my current new max at 258 lbs. as of this time, probably will land at about 262-265 by year's end, aiming to reach about 270 in late 2006. Put on about 15 lbs. of fat over the years as well (who says vegans can't get chubby?) but packed on about 30 lbs. of muscle at the same time, making things stay fairly balanced. Got a bit of flab around the belly and love handles, but when you're training for strength, it's not a big worry!

To Kollision - did your back used to end up looking like this after squatting?

Image

That's me back at the last days of 2004, just as soon as I started doing low bar squats. If you do them enough you'll get past it - don't give up on the world's greatest exercise just because of a little physical damage :D Once that skin toughens up, you won't get a mark on you after a while. I only wish I'd taken a pic of my forearms after the last strongman comp when I tore them up on the stones. Now I've gotta work to make them a little more durable for future work!

Ryan


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 2:26 am 
Offline
Elephant
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2005 3:39 pm
Posts: 1108
Location: Edinburgh, Scotland
i was on the beach last weekend (and judging by the surf, ill definately be back this weekend!) and i was trying to clean and press this really big log. i think that it weighed at least 70kg, though 75 would be more likely. i cleaned it a couple of times (with a tremendous struggle) but never managed to press it. just the cleans alone ripped up my shoulders and lower neck. its funny how it doesnt hurt, and you dont really notice it until you are done. infact, every time i lift stones or anything when im out, i always mangle myself! kolllision - i reckon you would pass the painful period of squatting after just a few weeks. it you started off light, and then moved up, you would see some great gains.

ryan, seeing as we are on the topic of weight gain, how have you managed to slap on so much mass? i am really struggling. i train the big three, as you know, but how much assistance would you recommend? at the moment my assistance is basically only shoulder presses (which i do a fair bit), static holds(and lots of other grip work) and occasionally calf raises. i did innitially gain well from that, and whilst my strength is still increasing, i havent gained any weight and kept it for about 4months. i am desperate to get to the 270's lbs, as at the moment i think that it is my skinnyness that is holding me back.

jonathan

_________________
Squat
Press
Eat
Repeat


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 2:51 am 
Offline
Stegosaurus
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm
Posts: 3072
Location: Waukesha, WI
Jonathan,

I've got it faily easily in that genetically, I'm not designed to be small. I have 4 siblings, 3 of which are all very large as well, and it runs in my structure. On top of that, I gain weight VERY easily at times (not always, but usually this is the case) and I can gain on as little as 3000 calories/day. For a person my size this is very rare, but my metabolism is naturally slow so just by eating normally without stuffing myself I can keep weight the same, and all I have to do is toss in an extra meal to make sure I have enough in me to put on weight. However, most of the best gains have been through continuing to just work on compount movements with lower to moderate reps (1-8 at most, usually 3-5 reps per set), even though this often goes against what most "science" has to say about the best way to gain. If I can give any advice for most people, it is just to always remember the following points -

1. Eat more than you think you need to (unless you've got a freakishly slow metabolism like me)

2. Always do compound exercises for your main focus, leave the isolation stuff alone unless you're planning on bodybuilding. Also, if you can do a lift standing up, do it that way! (this applies particularly to overhead pressing)

3. Squat, deadlift, squat, deadlift...repeat as necessary. Once I started doing those two things I broke past being stuck at 240 and added the remainder of the weight quickly.

4. Never forget to get enough rest, and do all you can to keep stress low. That's my biggest problem now - stress is terrible for me, and it takes all I've got to feel calm on most days. If I'd been stress-free this past 2 years I'd probably have another 10 lbs. of weight on me by now!

5. If whatever you're doing for lifting has slowed down or stopped making gains for you, quit doing it and move on! People get afraid to experiment, which is the worst thing. Yes, I get stares from people wondering why I'm squatting over 700 lbs. but only moving the bar for a 6" range of motion, but that's purely because they think that if you're not benching or curling that you're not doing things right. Play around with odd lifts, start lifting anything that's not nailed down when you're out and about, and again, don't be afraid to do stuff that looks weird to everyone else because sometimes it's the odd stuff that will put you to a new level.

I know that you've been doing a lot of deadlifting and overhead lifting, and keeping with those two things will definitley be what pushes you on upward in weight. I can't remember if you do a lot of squatting or not, but if you aren't definitely get on it! I swear, if someone wants to add 10 lbs. in a hurry, just chain them to the squat rack for a few weeks, feed them plenty of food and it'll all get done in a short time. Squat heavy for singles and doubles, squat moderate weight for sets of 10 or more, do squats starting from the bottom way below parallel, do 1/4 squats with 200 lbs. more than you can full squat....all these things will work to push your body into weight gain better than anything else I can think of. It isn't called the "king of all exercises" for nothing! If you squat and do different varieties and leave all you have at the rack and come away wiped out from giving it 100%, you won't regret it one bit.

If you can't already tell, I love squatting :D I used to hate it and keep doing leg presses, but once you're humbled by squats you never turn back. It doesn't mean much if you can leg press 1300 lbs. for reps (like I once did) if you can't squat 250 lbs. for a set of 5.

You've definitely made a ton of progress, Jonathan, and I think that if you keep on doing what you've been doing you're going to go a lot further. Just change things up periodically and it'll all come in time. And, with that frame of yours, I recommend getting into strongman at some point, too - height is a distinct advantage in many events, and with your size you might just find your calling!

Ryan


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  



{ ASACP_CREDITS }
{ ASACP_CREDITS }
{ ASACP_CREDITS } Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group