Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 4:43 am 
Stegosaurus

Quick update - 2 weeks ago I was weighing in at 258, tonight I hop on the scale and am coming in at 264! My weight hadn't budged in some time, so I assumed I was still the same but now I see that wasn't correct to assume. Not sure where this extra 6 lbs. came from since I hadn't just eaten beforehand and I'm not bloated, so I'll have to assume it came from the squats! :D

Ryan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 5:02 am 
Elephant

My weight is swaying up and down.
I started at around 65kg / 143lbs at my height of 186cm / 6f 1 inch.
Before starting my diet i was around 86kg / 190lbs.
My highest weight ever was 89.5kg / 197lbs, but that was unvegan and not as defined. I plan to bulk over 200lbs after the shows. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 5:03 am 
Elephant

thankyou for the lengthy reply ryan :D

its funny because i have always had a very fast metabolism. to give you an idea of what i looked like before i started lifting weights (and just before i went vegan) heres a picture of me on my 19th birthday:

http://www.veganfitness.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4640

and at this point i had added a fair bit of muscle from doing lots of taekwondo (pressups and the like).

this is me last week standing on a sea stack my friend and i had just climbed (notice the very swanky trainers (sneakers) im wearing ryan?):

i have been counting my calories recently and i average about 5000 a day but i have actually lost a couple of kg in the last month. this could be due to a more physically demanding job, but its still 5000cal!

at the moment i am doing shoulder presses seated but i shall change that. the problem with the squatting at the moment is that i cant go heavy as i have just ditched the belt and im concentrating on nailing the form. same for the deads actually. but im going to include more bent over rows, power cleans, thick bar curls and other such things. hopefully ill get the weight up to 240lb (109kg) by the end of the year.

nice work on the weight gain ryan - how tall are you by the way?

jonathan

Repeat

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 12:50 pm 
Stegosaurus

Jonathan,

You've definitely made a lot of progress when comparing the 2 pictures (and I did notice the Montrails right away in the 2nd shot!). Congratulations on making the gains that you've managed!

Yes, if you can eat 5000 calories and lose weight, you're on the fast side of metabolism. I'm not sure how much fat and protein you're getting daily, but perhaps upping the quantities on both would not be a bad thing. Since fat will slow down digestion a bit, you may want to add in a bit more, perhaps with some flaxseed oil or something, taken a few times daily such as early day, mid day and at bedtime. That way you could get in another 400 or so calories and help keep your body from digesting quite as quickly at the same time (sometimes all it takes is a little trick like that to start making more progress)!

Right now I'm just a hair under 6 foot tall. I was originally expected to end up about 6 foot four, but I grew upward only until I was about 13 years old. Then I just grew outward instead!

For the lifts, if you can work to eventually power clean into your presses (at least for the first rep) it will be helpful, plus the standing press will hit your core more and do a bit extra for you. Also, don't be afraid to start incorporating push presses into your routine as well - once I started doing those, my strict press went up around 50 lbs. inside of a year's time just from being used to handling more weight overhead. It is good to hear that you do overhead pressing as most people neglect it, and therefore set themselves up for limitations for their size and strength.

For the squats, definitely keep form going first because you don't want to go the wrong way with them. If you're doing high-bar squats and finding it hard to keep form (getting pushed too far forward once you stary coming up) then you'll need to do more core work and learn to sit back more. If you're doing low bar squats (bar resting on the groove just below your upper traps) you'll find that you can more more weight and not get pushed forward as much. Experiment with bar positioning, foot width and such and eventually you'll find exactly what it is that works for you. I had been doing high bar squats and got stuck at 425 for some time - making a single at that weight was pure hell to manage. I'd been trying low bar squats but found them uncomfortable, but one day I just hit that groove and never looked back since.

You've got a lot of progress under your belt, and you're training the way that got me the most gains in the least time, so hopefully this will push you to new limits in 2006!

Ryan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 8:55 pm 
Rabbit

Impressive before-and-after pics, Jonathan.

I'm up to 155 (70 kg) now, meaning I've gained 21 pounds (10 kg) since I set out to build some body mass at the beginning of the summer. Still growing!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 11:02 pm 
Rabbit

About 13+ months ago I weighed in between 175 - 185 lb, last night I weighed in at 218 lb :!: This was late in the evening though, so subtract a few pounds of food and water, more realistically I am around 215 now. I am 6' 6" though, so I am by no means big. I think I would be happy at 225 or so, I want to stay lean, I have interest in strength but not in getting 'huge'.

I had been stuck at 205 lb since January, until the last few weeks I started packing weight on fast. I injured my back a month ago, and so dropped my martial arts training to about half (way less cardio), and gym days from 3 workouts to 2 a week. I have been heavily focusing on overhead press & push presses, and aside from that have been doing some hack squats and arm & grip work. I have also increased my reps and lowered weight a bit on many exercises, as I have been lifting low reps & heavy for the whole year, and I felt I needed to give my body a break.

My eating has only increased, I have been eating ridiculous amounts, easily 4000+ calories. Much to my surprise I suddenly started gaining weight pretty fast, In the last week I have gone up about 5 lb. I have a bit of fat on me, but nothing I couldn't cut in a week or 10 days. My strength has gone up steadily as well, I have been getting rep or poundage PRs pretty much every workout.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 11:09 pm 
Site Admin

Awesome work Tyler!

That is totally sweet progress. I'm looking to bulk up this winter as well. I was in the 190-200 range in 2003, then went back to work on a cruise ship in all of 2004. Spending a year at sea dropped me to 180 or lower. Then I cut down for some recent bodybuilding contests and got as low as 173 on contest day just last week. A few days after the contest I was up to around 183 :) but mostly liquid that day I weighed myself because today I'm 178.5 so light! I look forward to the 200-pound range again. It is fun being bigger and stronger, although shredded and ripped has it's advantages too.

Anyway, again, awesome work and keep us updated on how things progress for you.

-Robert

Check out my Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness Book on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Vegan-Bodybuildin ... 497&sr=1-1