Looking for beginner advice

Shojiki

Hi all,

This is my first post on the forums so I wanted to first say hi and introduce myself.

I'm ashamed to say that currently I'm not vegan, only vegetarian, however i am looking to transition to veganism by the end of the year, if not sooner.

I found this website about a month ago and have to say I'm both impressed and inspired by you guys, and blown away by some of the results you've achieved.

I'm relatively new to strength training. I've been trying it off and on for a number of years, read all sorts of information on the internet (a lot of it conflicting!) but for the most part, have failed to make any substantial gains.

I recently turned 30 and have decided it's time to get serious and gain the kind of body, and fitness, I've always wanted.

I've spent some time looking into a beginner program that will provide me with some respectable gains, but also motivate me to stick at it. I was wondering if you lovely people could give me any pointers as to whether this is a good place to start, but also whether there's anything I might want to change. I understand the basic concepts of progression and nutrition and have tried to incorporate that into my program:

Stats:

Weight: 147 lbs

Height: 6'

Program:

Initially, I'm going for a full body routine 3x a week as I feel this will prepare my joints and tendons etc for an eventual 3 day split, but also keeps it simple in order to "re-wire" by brain to stick with the program.

Cardio/warmup:

10 mins treadmill (progression via increase of speed by .1km/hr each session)

Core:

Choosing between hanging leg raises - 3 sets of 8-12 reps (add weight for progression)

or

"Scooby's Rotary Exercise" consisting of 45 secs for the following exercises:

Left side plank, crunches, right side plank, front plank (2 sets with weight added for progression.)

Back and Biceps:

Machine assisted pull ups - 3 sets of 8-12 reps (progressing to full body weight pullups and eventually working up to 1 handed pullups. Weight added as and when required)

Machine assisted hammer chinups - 3 sets of 8-12 reps (progressing to full body weight chinups and eventually working up to 1 handed chinups. Weight added as and when required)

Chest and Triceps:

Pushups - 3 sets of 8-12 reps (Progressing up to 1 handed pushups with elevated feet and weight added when needed.)

Machine assisted dip - 3 sets of 8-12 reps (Progressing to full body weight dips, then weight added)

Legs:

Dumbbell squat - 3 sets of 8-12 reps (initially adding weight and eventually working towards 1 legged pistol squats)

Cardio/cooldown:

Rope machine (progressing by increasing distance climbed in 5 mins and increasing resistance)

So that's it. Any advice from the more knowledgeable folks on this forum would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for taking the time to read this post, I look forward to getting more involved in this community as I make my journey to getting fitter and becoming vegan

Welcome!

As far as the training goes, being a noob I can't really help you, but here's some advice on what I learned so far:

- Drink Lots of water

- Sleep a lot to keep your testosterone high

- Eat a LOT. ( you have to eat healthy and eat the right foods, but to get bigger you will have to eat bigger )

Good Luck =)

Hi shojiki, the program doesnt matter too much, as long as it's respectable, the big big thing think is to mentally dedicate yourself to it, to the point where you won't make any excuses, and are determined to go to the gym EVERY DAY YOU PLANNED, don't give yourself a chance to give up on it before it can take hold of it, i think the main reason for lack of progress will be making excuses

next thing is nutrition- i think you'll want to bring this same dedication over to nutrition, cut out all junk foods, highly processed foods etc and all high sugary foods, focus on more nutritious options, and try to aim for a higher protein content than a typical vegan diet, you will probably want to invest in some protein powders (i find inflavoured rice + pea is best combo)

a thing that worked for me as a motivator was, picking a gym that was on my usual route, i'd have no excuses if i passed the place every day.

even if you don't fully commit to the nutrition right away, i think after a month or two, you will begin to see some results, and you will want to improve your diet to help it along

anyway it's great you're getting serious about it, jumping in the deep end, good luck

Thanks for your replies and encouragement guys

I've got myself sorted with vegan protein powder (contains rice, pea and hemp protein for a supposedly full amino acid profile!) and I'll be working on the rest of my diet over the coming weeks and months.

Muchidna, you said the program doesn't matter too much? My main concern is whether I'm doing enough/too much exercise, and the right kinds of exercise. One I'm really not sure about is the hanging leg raises as it doesn't feel like I'm working my core very much.

I should have mentioned before I'm looking to build strength and muscle mass

Hi shojiki, the program doesnt matter too much, in the sense of, if it's a program for weight lifting, the main focus should just be you being consistant with it, as long as it's challenging and you are consistant about it, after about a month or two working out & a little research, you will get the hang of going to the gym and should be comfortable enough to make a schedule targetting what you want

when you're staring off, any respectable program, or even made up program will work. just be consistant and challenged

I'm new here, but been vegan for a while and lifting seriously for about a year. I found that Starting Strength http://www.amazon.com/Starting-Strength-3rd-Mark-Rippetoe/dp/0982522738 is a good book to learn about form. It reads like a text book and I don't really like the authors opinions or claims but it's great to talk about lifting forms. Another good beginner program is the Stronglifts Program http://stronglifts.com/stronglifts-5x5-beginner-strength-training-program/

These books helped me out quite a bit in the beginning. I do seriously recommend finding someone knowledgeable about the subject who can help as well. A reputable trainer or even just a friend who lifts is a great resource.

Good luck on your goals.