high reps and hypertrophy

Share your training programs, favorite exercises, training secrets and tips with the rest of the group. Discuss contest preparation, off-season diets, carb depleting and loading, posing, and training programs.

Moderators: Mini Forklift Ⓥ, C.O., Richard, robert, SyrLinus

Justin Morgan
Rabbit

Re: high reps and hypertrophy

#16 Postby Justin Morgan » Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:13 am

According to eric Helms from 3DMJ whom I strongly agree with on this point the only thing that really matter is total work load. So someone doing 5x5 @ 120 ibs is doing a total tonage of 3000 ibs. someone doing 3x10 at only 100 ibs is also totaling 3000 ibs of tonage so they are going to get the same over all muscular development. There may be other benefits in terms of sports specific training to doing one or the other, but if you're only goal is muscular development then it really is't making a difference.

Justin Morgan
Rabbit

Re: high reps and hypertrophy

#17 Postby Justin Morgan » Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:43 am

Actually, after rereading what I said, I only partially agree with myself. The way i applied it was relevant, but it almost sounds like you could infinitely keep doing more sets and still continue to get better results with the more sets by increasing work load and I don't think that is accurate either.

Return to “Bodybuilding/Strength Training”