Is cardio right for me?

Share your training programs, favorite exercises, training secrets and tips with the rest of the group. Discuss contest preparation, off-season diets, carb depleting and loading, posing, and training programs.

Moderators: Mini Forklift Ⓥ, C.O., Richard, robert, SyrLinus

bodyartt
Rabbit

Is cardio right for me?

#1 Postby bodyartt » Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:54 am

I am currently 143 pounds at 5'10".... But I still have some belly fat. I plan to do 20 minutes of HIIT 2 days per week. Is this advisable...will it help shed the belly fat? Or will it burn muscle? I am already low body weight and my objective is to increase it to 160 pounds. Should cardio be avoided?

VeganBadass_CO
Manatee

Re: Is cardio right for me?

#2 Postby VeganBadass_CO » Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:35 pm

Mixing in some HIIT is good in my opinion for building functional muscle mass, kicking up your heart rate a bit and a bit less calorie consuming (a little any way) than doing full on cardio running, aerobics, etc.

BUT probably won't just target some fat loss in you middle, but all over...lean you up - which sounds like isn't really your objective.

Belly fat can be a symptom of some nutritional changes. In particular, carbs, but not just carbs in general, but both what are the sources of carbs, and when you're eating them....

So...bit more info on your diet might be useful...

HIT Rob
Gorilla

#3 Postby HIT Rob » Fri Jun 27, 2014 5:18 pm

bodyartt wrote:I am currently 143 pounds at 5'10".... But I still have some belly fat. I plan to do 20 minutes of HIIT 2 days per week. Is this advisable...will it help shed the belly fat? Or will it burn muscle? I am already low body weight and my objective is to increase it to 160 pounds. Should cardio be avoided?

HIIT indeed well ramp up your metabolism, however HIIT is "HIGH IMPACT" high intensity exercise, so if you value the well being of the joints and connective tissues, i strongly recommend avoiding it.

bodyartt
Rabbit

#4 Postby bodyartt » Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:11 am

VeganBadass_CO wrote:Mixing in some HIIT is good in my opinion for building functional muscle mass, kicking up your heart rate a bit and a bit less calorie consuming (a little any way) than doing full on cardio running, aerobics, etc.

BUT probably won't just target some fat loss in you middle, but all over...lean you up - which sounds like isn't really your objective.

Belly fat can be a symptom of some nutritional changes. In particular, carbs, but not just carbs in general, but both what are the sources of carbs, and when you're eating them....

So...bit more info on your diet might be useful...

whole wheat bread and rice....maybe this is forcing the body to store fat even though I am underweight?

bodyartt
Rabbit

#5 Postby bodyartt » Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:12 am

HIT Rob wrote:
bodyartt wrote:I am currently 143 pounds at 5'10".... But I still have some belly fat. I plan to do 20 minutes of HIIT 2 days per week. Is this advisable...will it help shed the belly fat? Or will it burn muscle? I am already low body weight and my objective is to increase it to 160 pounds. Should cardio be avoided?

HIIT indeed well ramp up your metabolism, however HIIT is "HIGH IMPACT" high intensity exercise, so if you value the well being of the joints and connective tissues, i strongly recommend avoiding it.

either way I think it is better to avoid cardio for now. 143 seems too low. Maybe at 160....

C.O.
VBB Moderator

#6 Postby C.O. » Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:08 pm

Cardio is good for your over-all body conditioning and health. Limit it, just get that heart rate up, 20 mins is probably too long, I'd say keep it in your routine but cut it down to 10 mins.

tylerpc73
Rabbit

#7 Postby tylerpc73 » Mon Apr 04, 2016 2:45 pm

from you soon.
It depends if you are in active more for endomorphic naturally. If you are an active market I would suggest just sticking to weight training and adjusting your diet appropriately to lose body fat
Hey guys just here to get some good advice on vegan bodybuilding. Check out my fitness website here:http://www.ptpioneer.com/

jenng
Finch

#8 Postby jenng » Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:20 pm

If you are trying to gain weight cardio is not the way to go cardio helps you lose weight I agree with doing HIIT and lift instead of cardio. Lifting will help you get big the fastest.

Doublade
Rabbit

#9 Postby Doublade » Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:04 pm

cardio would burn muscles?? I heard such a theory before but still hardly believe it.

Sandra Oakley
Finch

#10 Postby Sandra Oakley » Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:33 am

My friend's little brother was once around 162 with the same exact height and he also tried losing the last of his belly fat. He would wrap garbage bags around his midriff and run several kilometers each morning to try and sweat it all off. He also did those 12 minute high intensity exercises. No matter how much he tried, it still wouldn't go away. Eventually he realized that his eating habits were killing him (note: he wasn't a vegan) and decided to give up on ketchup, bread, cheese, etc. 8 months later he lost 20 pounds and more or less didn't have those love handles anymore. I don't know if this helps you in any way.

Also, weight loss generally causes you to lose water weight and muscle mass before it targets your body fat. Look at those long distance runners vs the ones who just do the 100m or 200m dash. I find that trying to do bodybuilding with too much running can be detrimental to the physique. Of course, some will disagree with me.

HIT Rob
Gorilla

#11 Postby HIT Rob » Tue Oct 18, 2016 5:49 pm

To take an evolutionary perspective, the body has learned to be very efficient, when we do steady state activity, the body knows it doesnt need its fast twitch fibers and you "lose" the premium quality muscle fibers. Concrete example... Look at sprinters vs long distance / endurance athletes. Fat loss is almost entirely setting up a proper hormonal environment, with insulin being the main hormone that governs fat gain AND loss.

Return to “Bodybuilding/Strength Training”