Program for 43 year old skinny guy

Hi, I am mostly vegan, 43, 140 pounds, 6 feet tall.

I am thin and out of shape. I have had a trainer in the past, so I know what to do in the gym, but it’s been a while. I just rejoined 24 Hour Fitness and have been out of the gym for about 2 years.

I am looking for a game plan to get back into shape and gain about 15 pounds.

I have read some books - “Body for Life”, some of Tim Ferriss' 4 Hour Body.

Seen some P90X, so I know about "muscle confusion".

Obstacles: Rear part of left shoulder messed up from a moped crash (don’t laugh) as a kid.

Right hip hurts on and off, since I was about 20.

I have a "poochy belly" from I don't know what. I don’t like it. Currently doing "ab vacs" to help.

Just want a program that I can use when I go to the gym 5-6 days per week.I found some on www.bodybuilding.com, and specifically www.bodybuilding.com/fun/lee-labrada-12 ... day-1.html.

However, there are no days off. I could adjust it, but wondered if anyone knows of any other programs for an older skinny guy like me.

Allpro, and since you are trying to gain be easy on the cardio (if at all). Be sure your diet is in check and you are getting enough calories..... feed the machine.

Allpro:

A Simple beginner's Routine

You will do 3 work outs per week on non consecutive days. The first work out is your heavy work out. The second work out is your medium work out, use 10% less weight for your work sets. The final work out for the week is your lite work out, use 20% less weight.

Do a lite warm up with 1/4 of your work sets weight. Do a medium warm up with 1/2 of your work sets weight. Do 2 work sets with the same weight. Choose a starting weight and start light.

These are the seven exercises you will be starting with.

Squats

Bench Presses

Bent-Over Rows

Overhead Barbell Presses

Stiff-Legged Deadlifts

Barbell Curls

Calf Raises

You will be running this program on a five week cycle as follows:

The first week do all 4 sets for 8 reps.

The second week do all 4 sets for 9 reps.

The third week do all 4 sets for 10 reps.

The fourth week do all 4 sets for 11 reps.

The fifth week do all 4 sets for 12 reps.

If you got all of the required reps on the fifth week then increase the weight by 10% and

Repeat the cycle. If you didn't get all of the reps on the fifth week then repeat the cycle with the same weight. You shouldn't need more than one minute rest between the warm up sets and you shouldn't need more than one minute thirty seconds between the work sets.

Do some cardio and abs work on non weight training days.

skinny at 43....worse problems to have at 43. LOL.

Welcome. Might ask what your typical diet is like to help all around.

On your non-gym days (or whenever you fee like it for that matter), might suggest throwing in some of the cycles from P90X.....max reps, standard/wide/military/diamond push-ups. And some yoga can be a killer core/shoulders workout. For that belly, never had that pooch belly, but also never had that elusive 6-pack of abs. Starting to get there by doing israeli sit-ups, kimora situps and working the heavy bag (www.ckotrainer.com). Find that the kickboxing workout works abs all around, as opposed to doing a zillion crunches (atleast for me). If don't have or don't want a heavybag, you can order from walmart.com some 4lb weighted gloves. Punching (and/or some Les Mills Combat) with a bag or gloves shredded my back, arms, shoulders and abs. Combo workout because it's cardio + light-weight type workout = endurance, lower bodyfat, lean, useable muscle. This after striving for decades to get 'big' only to findout I had little endurance strength useful in day to day.

My opinion...like lots in life....BALANCE....weights + something else.

I like what Sea Siren said too about limited rest period between exercises. Again, endurance. Real strength vs being able to do 1 rep of max weight 1x. Impressive in the gym, not too practical in real life....

Hi, I am mostly vegan, 43, 140 pounds, 6 feet tall.

I am thin and out of shape. I have had a trainer in the past, so I know what to do in the gym, but it’s been a while. I just rejoined 24 Hour Fitness and have been out of the gym for about 2 years.

I am looking for a game plan to get back into shape and gain about 15 pounds.

I have read some books - “Body for Life”, some of Tim Ferriss' 4 Hour Body.

Seen some P90X, so I know about "muscle confusion".

Obstacles: Rear part of left shoulder messed up from a moped crash (don’t laugh) as a kid.

Right hip hurts on and off, since I was about 20.

I have a "poochy belly" from I don't know what. I don’t like it. Currently doing "ab vacs" to help.

Just want a program that I can use when I go to the gym 5-6 days per week.I found some on http://www.bodybuilding.com, and specifically http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/lee-labrada-12-week-lean-body-trainer-week-1-day-1.html.

However, there are no days off. I could adjust it, but wondered if anyone knows of any other programs for an older skinny guy like me.

I would not recommend training 5-6 days per week, no human alive needs to train that much, this is especially true for someone in their 40s and upwards, as their naturally ability to tolerate stress decreases. Moreover, by your 40s and upwards, your body has had more exposure to wear and tear issues. I would strongly recommend a low force high intensity approach (Yes, intense training is stressful, however you wont be exposing yourself to it often), similar to Dr Doug Mcguff and John Littles body by science approach. Maximizing stimulation with minimum wear and tear on the body.

Best of luck

Rob

What does writing a full stop signify SeaSiren?

I personally think you don't need to be in the gym upwards of 5 days a week, unless obviously you are stepping on a BB'ing stage or something of that nature. I've had fantastic successes with training people on a 3-4 day a week split ~ a lot of people underestimate the importance of rest, recovery and muscular adaptation.

Maybe you could book in with a reputable PT (especially with your hip and shoulder issues), and get a programme sorted that is built around your goals and what's suitable for you? All the best MF.

• 2 months later...

Well it's a few months in since this thread went up, just checking in to see how you are getting on

What type of training/programme did you decide to follow and have you got any results from it? All the best and I hopefully look forward to seeing you posting around the forum soon pranasize MF.

• 7 months later...

Hi all,

Thanks for all the help, replies and good wishes. Sorry for the long pause. I had moved, stopped the gym, then changed to a new one.

I realize I forgot to mention, I had 10 or 20 sessions with a trainer, I forget the total now, about 8 years ago. I learned a lot, and feel good about going to the gym, right to the free weights and knocking out a good workout.

I do forget a little, and have been googling workouts for back (a sticking point) and other areas. Also, I read about Crossfit, trying to mix it up as 'muscle confusion' seems to be a really good way to go.

Someone at the gym was nice enough to give me access to a site they use: dotfit.com. It offers customizeable workouts for as many days and goals I want. I set it for 3 days/week.

Thanks again, and good luck to all who are working on bettering themselves.

Just keep it light when working with muscle groups around the shoulders but definitely work them and like everyone said give them plenty of rest. If you slowly big more muscles around them like in your arms, back and even core you will hopefully progressively have less strain on your ex-injured shoulder.

• 9 months later...

I would recommend 3 days per week of a full body workout for 3 months utilizing a double progression method with 3 sets of 6-8 reps for each exercise. Alternating with an A and B workout.

A

Barbell squat

Bench press

Pull ups/ chins

Leg raises

B

Standing overhead press

Barbell row

Deadlift

Leg raises

Start light and don't get greedy

Edited by Eiji

Example of a double progression

W=workout

W1 135x6,6,6

W2 135x7,6,6

W3 135x7,7,6

W4 135x7,7,7

W5 135x8,7,7

W6 135x8,8,7

W7 135x8,8,8

W8 140x6,6,6

When u first start you will probably be able to add more than 1 rep per workout but this is a great method to keep the gains coming at a speed that is sustainable for the long haul.