Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: when weights get heavier.barbell curls
PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:42 am 
Manatee

Every month i add 5 kg more to my weightlifting schedule, and the first week of changing is always harder for me and most of the time i am not able to finish the reps especially when is about barbell curls.
generally i make 4x10, but this week i was only able to lift 1x10, 1x8 and 1x6 (i am actually lifting 40kg after 5 months of training), does this kind of workout still count and is it effective? or was just useless? should i lift even when my arms are tired and try to finish those reps?

Post subject: Re: when weights get heavier.barbell curls
PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:08 pm 
Rabbit

EdensDemise wrote:
should i lift even when my arms are tired and try to finish those reps?

That's the difference between being successful and failing. When you're tired, that's when it can be the most important to finish those reps.

And with barbell curls, if 5kg isn't working, trying 2.5kg at a time. The bicep is a fairly small muscle to be progressively loading with 5kg at a time.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:28 pm 
Manatee

nice thank you!!!
do you think i should try even different kind of reps? instead of 4x10 maybe 5x8?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:49 pm 
Rabbit

I would say that all depends on your goals. Typically 8-10 rep sets are when you're trying to gain mass or "get a pump." If you're goal is to gain strength stay with sets of 5.

I would also start learning about the difference between progressive linear loading (adding a fixed amount of weight every fixed interval) and non-linear programming (cycling your workouts to fatigue for a period followed by a period of recovery where you realize gains). You can only progressively load in a linear fashion for so long before you are fatiguing yourself beyond the point where your body can fully recover and at that point you can no longer make gains by linear loading.

Personally, I don't directly train the biceps. I still consider myself a beginner at lifting and right now I'm focused on big compound lifts and training my CNS (central nervous system) or "muscle memory." So I'm not sure at what point it would be beneficial to start non-linear programming for the biceps.

Hope that helps.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:22 pm 
Manatee

my goal at this moment is to build mass and get bigger, not really interested in definition or having the typical athletic body.
about cycling my workout, i actually make an ABA BAB training with biceps on A days.
thank you so much for your advice :D

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:35 pm 
Rabbit

Sounds like a plan. Good luck!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:49 pm 
Elephant

i have often had the best growth in my arms from not even training them but working really hard on pull ups or under hand grip pull downs and bench press or dips. :D

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:52 am 
Manatee

today i stil feel pain on my muscles. especialy arms and legs. and i trained 3 days ago. is it possible that i need so much to recover?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:28 am 
Manatee

That'd be micro trauma caused by friction....

Remember that recovery (compensation) happens before growth (over compensation), and not just localized recovery, but full systemic recovery.
Full systemic recovery can take up to several days or longer (and there's sufficient evidence of this). Keep in mind, every training day is a kidney day, every training day is a myocardium day, every training day is a nervous system day.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:40 am 
Manatee

thanks man i guess i caused that muscular friction with over stressing arms especially with barbell curls and barbell row
and because i kept lifting even when i was tired and felt weak. i hope it will pass soon.
do you know some food or supplements that could help? i am taking reatine and eating more with the idea that food can help to recover faster

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:29 am 
Rabbit

Just out of curiosity, how many days a week do you work out? Does ABA BAB mean you work out 6 days a week? Or is that 3 days a week for a cycle of 2 weeks?

Also, how often do you work out your legs? And what does your leg workout look like?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:39 am 
Manatee

i mean that in 1 month i make aba bab aba bab. i train 3 times per week
for example:
a days
squat 4x6
leg press 3x10
barbell bench press 4x6
dumbell flat bench flies 3x10
barbell row 4x6
pulley 3x10
barbel curls 4x10
crunches with weights and other abs exercises

B days
Deadlift 4x6
leg curls 3x10
lateral raise 3x10
incline bench press 4x6
lat machine 4x6
french press 4x10
calf raise 3x15
abs....

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:32 pm 
Manatee

EdensDemise wrote:
thanks man i guess i caused that muscular friction with over stressing arms especially with barbell curls and barbell row
and because i kept lifting even when i was tired and felt weak. i hope it will pass soon.
do you know some food or supplements that could help? i am taking reatine and eating more with the idea that food can help to recover faster

As long as your making the effort to consume a varied well balanced diet, then there's really no need for any additional supplements. However, looking at your routine set-up, you could reduce the volume of your workouts, there's also quite a bit of over lapping going on, OR you could reduce the frequency of your training to just two workouts per week. This will have a positive effect on your recovery.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:10 am 
Manatee

with reducing the volume of workouts you mean reps?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:27 pm 
Manatee

The quantity of work Eden. To reduce overlapping for example, in your workout A, i would drop the squat and one of the rowing movements out of that workout (and possibly the flyes). I'd also recommend performing one or two warm-up sets per movement, followed by just one all out set to failure.
For long term progress, you must manage the training stress by properly regulating the volume and frequency of your workouts. As you grow stronger, so too do the stresses on our limited recovery abilities. When you properly regulate the volume and frequency of your training Eden, you will grow stronger in leaps and bounds every workout.