Frustrated with fat gain

I am only gaining fat during bulking. So frustrated...all the weight i lost in my belly has come back now...no size increase in arms or chest...but i am still underweight, so i cant cut either.

what the hell am i supposes to do?

bodyartt,

I'm sorry I don't have any advice for you... but this is the exact thing that has kept me away from the gym and on my low-calorie diet / cardio routine. It took me a lot of effort and time to lose the 60+ lbs that I did to get where I am, and it included a lot of cardio and eating light. I'm still running 30-60 minutes four times per week. Now I am reading that in order to gain muscle I am going to need to stop running so much and eat a lot more food. This downright scares me. Gaining back the weight that I loss would be a nightmare for me. So, I'm hoping someone more experienced can chime in here and help us. Thanks for posting

MJ

Keep reading and learning what works for other people and keep trying different things on yourself. Try different workout methods, try eating differently. Frustration can be the biggest hurdle. But continuing doing the same thing without results is pointless.

Good luck, keep pushin'

-Dylan

bit more info would be helpful.

Suspect that something is up with either what you're eating when in 'bulk-up'mode, or possibly when.

Lots of processed/sugary foods will indeed spike your blood-sugar levels, tripping the body into fat-storage mode --> to your belly area usually. But not just so called 'junk food' will do this. SO....to try and better help, what's been going on your plate during bulking up times?

Thanks badass. Will avoiding white rice help...i assume white rice has high glycemic index so it stores in the belly, right? Aside from this, i eat whole wheat bread, indian bread(chapati), peanuts, peanut butter, tea, coffee, milk... I am sure these aren't high in glycemic index, only rice, so will cutting it help..cuz i don't wanna cut too much food and grow weak....

• 4 weeks later...

Try android/iphone progam called MyFitnesspal. It will help you to track your callorie, protein, carb or fat needs. By that you will found at which point your weight increases without any drastic fat adding.

good suggestion on the MyFitnesspal

Good rule of thumb to avoid anything white...white bread, white rice, etc. Whole wheat a better choice. Started buying 2 new breads that are really good, one is called Dave's Kickass Bread (or something like that...but not in every store and can be $ if not on offer) and Safeway started carrying something called Open Nature which is REALLY good, and contains whole ingredients.

Might be careful with the peanuts/peanut butter. Yeah, good protein source, a bit high on oils can can pack in a lot of calories which might do more with your bulk-issues. lots of carbs and calories will get stored unless you're burning them off. So timing of when you eat certain things can matter too. Carb up at breakfast, and before workout...not so much at night...more proteins and veg for nutrients to help with recovery from your workout.

Depending on how quickly you switch from leaning up to bulking up mode might matter too. With too big of changes between your leaning diet and your bulking up diet might be easy to over-shoot. Good suggestion has been to limit diet changes to 10%, then give it a 3-5 days and check your progress. Can help both with catching the belly surge before it gets too far along, and more importantly, might help identify which of the foods is the culprit. So for example, if upping rice consumption is a go-to for bulking mode, do that for a few days and keep everything else more or less the same (but here not talking so much about adding more plants but for example, don't increase BOTH rice and nuts at the same time...just 1 for a week, see if any neg effects....then add in your additional protein sources..wait..check...then up calories, etc.).

Keep us posted!!!