low reps for bodyweight exercises

Share your training programs, favorite exercises, training secrets and tips with the rest of the group. Discuss contest preparation, off-season diets, carb depleting and loading, posing, and training programs.

Moderators: Mini Forklift Ⓥ, C.O., Richard, robert, SyrLinus

bodyartt
Rabbit

low reps for bodyweight exercises

#1 Postby bodyartt » Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:06 am

In weight lifting, low reps can go with heavy weights. But in bodyweight exercises, there is no weight aside from bodyweight. So if i can do only 5 regular dips, i add a backpack and do three. Just an example....point is, i make bodyweight exercise difficult enough to do only five or under five reps.

is my method efficient to create hypertrophy?

C.O.
VBB Moderator

Re: low reps for bodyweight exercises

#2 Postby C.O. » Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:07 pm

Then technically they arent body weight exercises any longer then right? Sounds like a good adaptation and definitely a way to capitalize on your at home workouts. I'll give the backpack weight technique tomorrow and I'll let you know how it goes.

-Dylan

Skeering
Rabbit

#3 Postby Skeering » Mon Oct 19, 2015 10:38 am

Dude, check out "The Naked Warrior" by Pavel. It will be EXACTLY what you need for this.

I'm not messing, go get that book.

Skeering
Rabbit

#4 Postby Skeering » Mon Oct 19, 2015 10:39 am

Dude, check out "The Naked Warrior" by Pavel. It will be EXACTLY what you need for this.

I'm not messing, go get that book.

Eiji
Manatee

#5 Postby Eiji » Mon Oct 19, 2015 1:29 pm

Progression in calisthenics is making the movement harder.
Progressions would go something like this:
Band assisted dips>parallel bar dips>ring dips>Bulgarian ring dips/archer ring dips

Push-ups> archer push-ups > one arm push-ups > weighted one arm push-ups

Pull-ups > archer pull ups > assisted one arm pull-ups > one arm pull ups

BW squat > archer squat > pistol squat > pistol jump squat or weighted pistol squat

As you ca see adding weight also works but is not completely necessary. I like to do both.
Make no excuses to skip a training session. Feel stressed, sad, sick or tired? Go train. Your friends, your heart, mind and body will lie to you. Telling you that you need that recovery day. Go ahead, stay home. I'll be training that day and getting better no matter what.

Skeering
Rabbit

#6 Postby Skeering » Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:55 am

Eiji wrote:As you ca see adding weight also works but is not completely necessary. I like to do both.

Yeah I am looking forward to adding weight to my movements once I reach a certain level. I think kettlebells will work really well with pistol squats, leg raises, pull ups, bridges, calf raises, grip work. I'm still a long way off needing to add them though :lol:

Return to “Bodybuilding/Strength Training”