How does this routine look?

Share your training programs, favorite exercises, training secrets and tips with the rest of the group. Discuss contest preparation, off-season diets, carb depleting and loading, posing, and training programs.

Moderators: Mini Forklift Ⓥ, C.O., Richard, robert, SyrLinus

HIT Rob
Gorilla

Re: How does this routine look?

#16 Postby HIT Rob » Fri Oct 02, 2015 4:18 pm

Its ok lol, its good to have an opinion:)

Indeed the majority of the research is in favor of volume training, that being said, I believe theres a few reasons for this...
Firstly, those who are more fast twitch muscle fiber dominant will benefit more from high stress HIT techniques such as rest pause, max statics, negative only etc.
Secondly, participants in these studies have in many cases have little to no training experience, it takes time to develop the ability to train with maximal intensity, it must be learned.
Thirdly, I dont believe the quality of todays research is as good has it once was, theres a lot of poorly conducted research these days, due to inexperienced researchers or funding limitations.

One of the longest - best conducted studies, was by one of Germany's most respected physiologists of all time, by the name of A.E Muller, Muller was obsessed with finding out what yeilded size and strength increases in the shortest time poss, he also used a combination of experienced and none experienced participants. After 10 long years of researching many different protocols (3sets x of 10, 5x5, 4sets of 12, once per week, 3 days per week, 7 days per week etc etc) he concluded that a 6 second maximal static contraction (with the resistance held the the fully contracted position of a given muscle) performed once a week per bodypart yeilded the fastest and best gains. He later refined that and said that a one second maximal static contraction (as long as it was truely maximal) would do the same thing. Muller corresponded with the man recognised as the godfather of western physiology, Authur Steinhaus, interestingly enough, he also had similar findings as Muller and was an advocate of maximal intensity static contractions.

The man recognised as the godfather of HIT thoery Arthur Jones also did a lot of research and contributed a great deal to the field, he was something of a genius and spent well over 100 million dollars of his own fortune on resesrch. Back in the late 60s, he was advocating training 3x per week with as many as 15-20 exercises (one set to failure per movement), by the 80s (after much research), he was advocating training just twice per week and with 8 or less exercises....thats a heck of a reduction in volume.

So does one go with high intensity or high volume, both apparently work, however, one exposes the joints and connective tissues to considerably less wear and tear than the other, and one also has you spend considerably less time in the gym. That makes one superior in my book. Is HIT easier, absoultely not, ive had volume trainees train with me, several couldnt even complete a 20 minute workout. The first my training partner and nephew trained with me, I had him perform an abbreviated full body HIT workout, Bench, Rows and leg presses with just one set to failure per movement, after going to all out vanilla failure on the leg press, he made a v-line for the fire exit door - booted it open and proceeded to throw up all over the place, the workout by the way lasted 15 minutes, afterwards, I said to him "you learned something about intensity today", he didn't say anything, he just nodded. Within 4 months, he went from leg pressing 250kgs to 500kgs (he now uses 620kgs) for the same number of reps, his bench and row also almost doubled.

Rob

allanconner147
Finch

Re: How does this routine look?

#17 Postby allanconner147 » Thu Oct 15, 2015 5:55 am

S_Tales wrote:Hey all,

Been working out seriously for about 6 months now, and have been vegan for about 2!

I got burnt out on what I was previously doing in the gym, so I decided to switch things up a bit. I am primarily going for overall fitness and strength, but definitely do want to add some mass. I'm hoping you can take a look at my routine and give me some good constructive criticism on what is good about it, and what you think I should change. I do a 3 day rotation twice a week, as I've marked below.

Here's what I've been doing for about the last month:

Legs (Monday/Thursday)
• Leg press
• Lunges
• Jump-ups (basically jumping onto a raised platform as fast as I can)
• Quad extensions
• Hamstring curls

Chest and arms (Tuesday/Friday)
• Barbell Bench Press
• Incline Dumbell chest press
• Dips
• Cable cross-overs (low, mid, high)
• Bicep curls
• Tri-cep pulldowns

Back and shoulders (Wednesday/Saturday)
• Deadlifts
• Pull-ups
• Barbell/dumbbell Overhead press
• Barbell/dumbbell row
• Barbell pullover
• Deltoid flies (front, side, rear)
• Shrugs

I generally do 8-12 reps at ~60% 1RM, for 3-4 sets. Every fourth workout or so I do more in the 4-6 rep range for 80-90% 1RM. I know I should be doing squats, but I had been doing them 3x a week, and it was starting to kill my lower back. I know this was from poor form, so I am trying to get my back healthy and relearn proper squat form before adding them back in. Leg press is a poor substitute. I do a solid ab workout every other day.

I would be grateful for any constructive criticism. Thanks.

Thanks for sharing it's really helpful for newbies like me :D

Return to “Bodybuilding/Strength Training”