Overtraining

HIT Rob

Hi all,

Every now and then i flick though some BB videos on youtube, and one thing that seems to be being promoted I've noticed (by drug users), is this ridiculous notion that one cannot overtraining, that overtraining is somehow a myth, these same individuals say their workouts are "brutal" and last for up to 3 hours...

This is the kinda of thing am talking about....

Lee doesn't seem to understand the S.A.I.D principle, and that bodybuilding is not an endurance sport/activity, it makes me laugh when he says "anyone who train's for only 45 minutes looks like shit", Dorian Yates must have slipped his memory lol. I also cant help but think that is it any wonder Lee's workouts last so long if he stands talking shit for 6-7 minutes between sets.

You'd almost get the impression that this video of Dorian was in response to Lee's comments...

But i feel MM sums it up best here...

I recall MM telling me this around the same time the above video was made, "overtraining isn't something kinda, sorta negative, its the biggest fucking mistake you can make".

Best

Rob

Good stuff Rob. Thanks for sharing. I see this kinda shit all the time. Besides it not being the most effective way to train, its brutal on the body. I think another thing bodybuilders often forget is keeping risk of injury levels in mind. Regardless of your progress an injury can set you back huge lengths of time if not permanently.

• 1 year later...

I have started training with free weights at home and have followed 'mini forklifts' plan that he put on another thread - working muscle categories as follows:

Chest/Triceps

Back/Biceps

Shoulders

Legs

I have been working these over continuous days (having 1 rest day per week). I am enjoying it (I didnt think I would), I am also seeing results which is pleasing (thanks for the advice mini forklift). I would just want to know if training consecutive days is wrong?

Should I be training alternate days with cardio inbetween?

Should I just be training alternate days?

Any help would be beneficial, thanks.

Not that long ago i would have said no, due to systemic recovery, but am a bit more open minded about frequency these days, If your making progress - have at it, and if your body tells you to take a break then back off for a bit.

On a related note, I read some research a few years ago from physiologists that showed its better to train 3-4 days in a row and then take 3-4 days off vs training every other day. Reason being, when we partake in intense physical stress, our body goes on a metabolic high ( increased protein synthesis, feel good endorphins realised, increased insulin sensitivity, HGH realised etc) however after 36-48 hours or so the body enters into a slightly depressed state, but by training consecutively the alarm reaction remains heightened and constant. Interestingly enough, ive preformed the exact same workout two days in a row and did better second time around, so there may well be something to it. If memory severes me right, I think they reffered to it as "riding the metabolic wave".

Hope this helps

Rob

There are also so many variables to training and duration. Age, Calories consumed, rest time you can get, sleep, genetics, DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness), diet. However I believe (hormonally) from the science i have read. That any programs that exist pushing the body over really 45 min is havoc on the system and raises cortisol (stress hormone) levels. I enjoy max overload training, just find it works best for me around 5-7pm because mornings I really lack at pushing the extreme weight. I am not a pro-bodybuilder, but I have a lot of experience in weight training.

• 2 weeks later...

I definitely prefer weight training at night, around 9.00pm is when I feel at my peak. Still going with the 6 days a week training, still feel pretty good and enjoying it. After 6 weeks I am going to change the routine to 5 days a week and increase the weight on all exercises whilst reducing the reps. Hopefully to try and keep my body on its toes.

Thanks for the advice.