teen mass

Share your training programs, favorite exercises, training secrets and tips with the rest of the group. Discuss contest preparation, off-season diets, carb depleting and loading, posing, and training programs.

Moderators: Mini Forklift Ⓥ, C.O., Richard, robert, SyrLinus

jmf
Rabbit

Re: teen mass

#16 Postby jmf » Thu Oct 29, 2015 6:46 am

HIT Rob wrote:The research shows a degree of muscle can actually be built on a starvation diet (albeit fairly short term research), as long as the proper training stress is present AND a sufficient recovery period followed. But this is not my point, the point is, people have transformed their physiques with no addition to their diets. Ive a friend who's been powerlifted in the same weight division for years, hes now a bodybuilder (same weight) and he looks completely different, hes leaner, stronger than ever, and his muscularity is outstanding,YET he has never upped his calories.

...but he likely has a very different workout regime...which could greatly affect TDEE, which in effect is manipulating the intake vs expenditure ratio. Even changing a job can do this.

Building lean body mass on starvation...complete nonsense in the practicality application of that concept. In the interest of building muscle relative to other competitors (even competing against yourself...for those who have no aspiration of getting on stage) starving yourself to build muscle is probably the worst approach.

HIT Rob
Gorilla

#17 Postby HIT Rob » Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:51 am

Absolutely, but point being, he did it without any changing his calorie intake.

Just to be clear, am not advocating people should go on a starvation diet here, am merely pointing out that there is research that's been done showing that a degree of muscle can be built on a starvation diet. Point being, i now feel that consuming a vast number of calories above are maintenance level (ie bulking) is not the best way to proceed.

jmf
Rabbit

#18 Postby jmf » Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:19 am

HIT Rob wrote:Absolutely, but point being, he did it without any changing his calorie intake.

Just to be clear, am not advocating people should go on a starvation diet here, am merely pointing out that there is research that's been done showing that a degree of muscle can be built on a starvation diet. Point being, i now feel that consuming a vast number of calories above are maintenance level (ie bulking) is not the best way to proceed.

agree with that...you definitely do not have to pile on the calories to build muscle...but I do think you need to be operating very close to maintenance level.

Aside from the naturally occurring catabolic state of operating in a caloric deficit, I think it's additionally counterproductive because it's difficult to maintain energy levels to consistently challenge your body to the point of hypertrophy, and I've found that I'm far more prone to injury in a calorie deficit.

Eiji
Manatee

#19 Postby Eiji » Thu Oct 29, 2015 2:30 pm

I started lifting when I was 14, 5'6" and 95lbs and really got serious at 15, 5'7" and 105 lbs. At 17 I was 5'10 1/2" and 197 lbs at <10% bf. Everyone at school thought I was juicing but I was just efficiently harnessing the hormones that were naturally surging in my body.

I did that by lifting heavy and often. Squats, pull-ups weighted and unweighted, dips weighted and unweighted, bench press, bent rows, overhead press, and deadlifts. I wasted no time on machines or isolation movements besides throwing in some biceps stuff once in a while.

AND I ate like a freaking horse 7 full meals per day. I ate so much my parents made me get a part time job to pay for the extra food I was eating. At 17 I was benching 265, pull-ups with 90lbs, dips with 90lbs, squatting 350 and deadlifting 450. Not crazy numbers but decent for 2 years of focused training and EATING.

If you want stale progress and injuries listen to HitRob's advice not to increase calories while training hard.
Make no excuses to skip a training session. Feel stressed, sad, sick or tired? Go train. Your friends, your heart, mind and body will lie to you. Telling you that you need that recovery day. Go ahead, stay home. I'll be training that day and getting better no matter what.

HIT Rob
Gorilla

#20 Postby HIT Rob » Thu Oct 29, 2015 2:59 pm

Stale progress? Injuries? Yes, that's what your tradition based free weight, high volume, bulking diet approach did for me and many others.

Btw, this is not a pissing contest, I couldn't care less how much you can lift at whatever age, Just because someone can bench a certain weight or has a 20" arm does not make that someone an expert in the field.

Return to “Bodybuilding/Strength Training”