Plant-Based Protein Powders and Iron

Share your training programs, favorite exercises, training secrets and tips with the rest of the group. Discuss contest preparation, off-season diets, carb depleting and loading, posing, and training programs.

Moderators: Mini Forklift Ⓥ, C.O., Richard, robert, SyrLinus

Soto
Finch

Plant-Based Protein Powders and Iron

#1 Postby Soto » Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:26 pm

I've been vegan 11 years, but I'm pretty new to macros and protein powder. I've been using Whole Foods Plant-Based Recovery Protein and am thinking of adding additional hemp protein. Given that both of these are pretty high in Iron, has anyone ever had a problem with getting too much Iron due to a combination of powders and diet?

muu
Rabbit

Re: Plant-Based Protein Powders and Iron

#2 Postby muu » Sun Jan 10, 2016 5:43 am

i think i read or watched a video a while ago on plant based iron sources... it was something along the lines of, when you get it from a plant based source, it has a self regulating effect to the point where, you can never eat too much of it from plants, whereas from animals, the heme iron lacks that same effect...

i dont take protein powders but i am pretty sure you would be 100% fine, especially since foods like green leafies and the science says eating oodles and oodles of it as in, a serving with each meal or more is ideal for health

Return to “Bodybuilding/Strength Training”