Losing fat vs. getting ripped

I've recently been applying the strategies laid out in Shred It!... I am noticing some muscle growth after 3-4 weeks, and feeling good, but just have one problem: One of my main goals is to slim down. While I'm gaining muscle, it just seems like I'm having to eat so much that I'm not really losing the fat at the rate I was hoping.

If my goal is to get lean, but at the same time get toned and stronger, without just getting big for big's sake, how should I adjust my routine? I'm currently lifting 5 days a week, typically 45-60 minutes a time, and also getting between 45-90 minutes of good cardio in a day (cycling, trail running, stair stepper). I'm focusing on eating per the advice in Shred It, with about 70-15-15 balance and based on my BMR.

Thanks!

• 2 months later...

18 years. However, I've sort of answered my own question since I posted this... since I had about 25 pounds I wanted to slim off, I decided to really focus on that, without reducing my calories too much, and also keep lifting just to maintain my muscles. After a few months I reached my goal, and then started working more towards bulking up with muscle, by increasing the weights and more clean calories. This seems to be working - I think our bodies all react differently, so sort of just listened to what mine needed...