What are your best sports moments?

• 1 month later...

Back in the summer of 2000 I was fighting in a NASKA (N.American Sport Karate Assc.) black belt tourny. I had 6 fights to win the championship. Nobody managed to score on me at all. I skunked all 6 of my opponents. I have only realized recently how impressive that was. That was 6 fights in a row that I wasn't even touched.

Then a week later I tore my miniscus kicking in a door on the job. Go figure...

• 8 months later...

I thought I'd bring this back up to surface. Has anyone set any new milestones in sports?

I got a new PR in my Leg Press 725 lbs for 11 reps. It's not a great sports moment for me, but something recent that was a positive.

My 839 consecutive days of doing push-ups and sit-ups is pretty cool, and some of my races as a runner are some other great sports moments. I beat two Olympic runners in one race Granted they were both women, so not in the same gender category, but still pretty awesome achievement back then.

So if you've got some good stories from back in the day or from recent events, please let us know

-Robert

Pick up basketball. Held my own against Adrian Pledger who went on to play in the CBA for a while. Also dunked on the starting center for WVU back in 97/8?? but he wasn't any good really.

I sparred with a guy who was getting ready for the Kentucky State Toughman Championship in his backyard. I got the better of him. He then won the State toughman comp. (I wasn't allowed to enter as I wasn't really from that state.)

Played for the Air Force base team in Iraklion, Crete in 1993. I was the starting center and we trounced a greek pro team. After that none of the pro teams would play us as they didn't want to get embarrassed.

Won a tennis tournament somewhere in my teens.... strangely I got the trophy proving it but I can only remember all the ones I lost.

In my last track meet of my senior year of high school I ran a 10.6s in the 100m dash. It was a good enough time to win state but the coaches had put me on the JV squad because I didn't bother to go out for track until my senior year. It was kind of a nice F-U to my coaches since they forced me onto JV despite the times I was running.

I won the state championship in high school for soccer, beating our cross town rival that was ranked 3rd or 5th in the nation and had beaten us twice during the regular season 1-0. In the state championship game we went into double overtime for a 0-0 tie and then shut them out in the shootout, only needing to have 3 of the allowed 5 penalty kicks. There was a picture in USA Today of our goalie jumping in the air pumping his fist and blocking the last penalty shot.

In college I won the rookie of the year award for our rugby team, shattering the scoring record for rookies and for the team. I was offered a contract to play professionally for a team in England but I have forgotten which team thanks to the many concussions I received in that time period of my life (my memory is limited in general for that time period). Sadly I broke my neck in the last game and couldn't take the contract to go play professionally.

There are other sports moments, but no need to continue on. Hopefully I'll have some good ones in the future for powerlifting and strongman.

Regards,

Sensless

My best moment as a kid was when my little league baseball team made it to the Florida state championships in 4th grade!

My funnest sports moments was in my teens through early 20s I used to play football and street hockey all the time with anyone from the neighborhood who would show up.

Back in the day when I used to play pro rugby with Oldham my best game was probably a reserve game we had with Castleford in which I had a awesome all round game and scored a length of the field match winning try

That was the last straw for the coach of the 1st team and I was pick to play against Hull the following Sunday which was shown on Sky Sports, I had a good game that day too!

Oh, those were the days!!!!!!!!!

Wow, I knew we had some awesome athletes here! Thanks for sharing some of your sports memories. Please, keep them coming, this is really interesting to read and cool to know some of your athletic backgrounds too.

-Robert

I played for my college team, it was never specified that we were affiliated with either of those. I just went out and hit people and ran with the ball (played fullback) in two games every Saturday, beating myself to a pulp in the process. I don't even remember the names of most of the guys on the team. I guess having 15 concussions in a span of 3 or 4 months will do that to a guy.

Does the USA have Union and League play?

Regards,

Sensless