Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: rack lockout contest
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 4:50 am 
Elephant

this is just really a spin on the hanging back contest for people, like myself, who hate indurance but dont mind bruting big weights up.

the idea is you use a mixed grip (one pronated, one supernated) and lock out a weight from a rack an inch or two below lockout. it can be as close as you like, its a grip exercise, not so much for your lower back. the weight has to be locked out for a 1, 2, count.

i tried it at the gym yesterday, and worked my way up to 300kg(660lb), which is a pb for me and literally as much weight as i could cram onto the bar! i hope in the next year to get it up to 1000lb (454kg) but i think ill have to buy some more 45lb plates to do that!

so please go and test your grip! :twisted:

btw - this doesnt mean im not going to do the hanging back contest, only that i find it hellishly horrible, so i dont want to do it too often!

jonathan

Repeat

Post subject: Re: rack lockout contest
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 8:39 am 
Elephant

jonathan wrote:
this is just really a spin on the hanging back contest for people, like myself, who hate indurance but dont mind bruting big weights up.

the idea is you use a mixed grip (one pronated, one supernated) and lock out a weight from a rack an inch or two below lockout. it can be as close as you like, its a grip exercise, not so much for your lower back. the weight has to be locked out for a 1, 2, count.

i tried it at the gym yesterday, and worked my way up to 300kg(660lb), which is a pb for me and literally as much weight as i could cram onto the bar! i hope in the next year to get it up to 1000lb (454kg) but i think ill have to buy some more 45lb plates to do that!

so please go and test your grip! :twisted:

btw - this doesnt mean im not going to do the hanging back contest, only that i find it hellishly horrible, so i dont want to do it too often!

jonathan

So basically deadlift but without going down?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 8:45 am 
Elephant

:lol: :lol: :lol: Sure mate! Wait until you lift 300kg and THEN make a contest of it. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Okay I'll have a go, but the rack at my gym is around knee height. I'll need a strong back too!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 1:18 pm 
Elephant

Cool idea, but i'm wondering what the guys at the gym might think ;-)

"He's taking far too much weight, can't even hold it properly, he just wants to show off."

I'd have to run around the whole gym to get enough plates to the rack.... :?

I'll try sometime when i'm alone, okay? :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 7:46 pm 
Elephant

Daywalker wrote:
Cool idea, but i'm wondering what the guys at the gym might think ;-)

"He's taking far too much weight, can't even hold it properly, he just wants to show off."

I'd have to run around the whole gym to get enough plates to the rack.... :?

I'll try sometime when i'm alone, okay? :roll:

Ya lots of people judge others when they are in the gym instead of focusing on their own training...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 7:48 pm 
Gorilla

They certainly do. Most lifting boards have lots of threads with people making fun of anyone who does a partial movement on anything. Yet partials can be very useful.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 12:37 pm 
Elephant

Oh man, it sounded so easy! :? :lol:

Jonathan, you really have a strong grip!

I also had to lift the weight from knee-height like Michael, but that wasn't the main problem.

I tried the 185kg you mentioned in the other thread, Jonathan, with a pronated grip... :oops: My forearms were just too weak to lift it! :( But in my defense, i did it after my workout and my forearms were exhausted already, but still...
Then i lifted it with a mixed grip and held it for, i don't know, maybe 15 seconds. I counted my breath to estimate the time. I switched the grip and held it again, and again (for exercise, i didn't count that).

So, next time i'm gonna try the 185kg with both hands pronated again and then see what weight i can lift with a mixed grip! But i think this is rather gonna be limited by my back strength, we'll see.

I forgot to hold my bodyweight for as long as i can, Jonathan. But i can't do everything in one session ;) There is always a next time (except for the last ime... :? ).

Greetings,
Daywalker 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 3:33 pm 
Elephant

lifting it from knee height will limit the amount you can lift - the lower the range of motion the better. im just lucky to have an adjustable squat cage at home so i just put it on the pins. maybe you could ask a couple of people in the gym just to give you a lift off, so that your back doesnt limit you.

great that you had a go - and impressive too 8) the first time you lockout, its sooo hard. it can only get easier, and im sure in a few months with maybe one lockout session (less than 5minutes required) you will be doing 300kg for a 1,2 count.
my grip is reasonable now. i can close the Captains of Crush #2 gripper for 5reps on the right and im incredibly close on the left.

they are great tools, the grippers - if you havent come across them before:

http://www6.mailordercentral.com/ironmi ... asp?dept=8

deadlifts dont challenge my grip now because of grippers :)

i can lockout more than 300kg im sure but i dont have enough plates and cant afford any more at the moment :cry:

jonathan

Repeat

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 8:36 pm 
Elephant

Dang only 5 people can close the #4s....If you have a grip like that, what kinds of things can you crush? Damn thats a scary thought if they choke you...You are almos tthere to be #6 Jonathan!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 6:14 am 
Elephant

no no no! it will take me a good long while to close the number 3, let alone the number 4!

this is the strongest vegan grip athlete. really nice guy to - and insanely strong!

http://www.veganbodybuilding.org/martin.htm

he is certified on the number three. its a shame he got bored with grip training and stopped as im sure he could have closed the number 4.

jonathan

Repeat

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 6:27 am 
Elephant

jonathan wrote:
no no no! it will take me a good long while to close the number 3, let alone the number 4!

this is the strongest vegan grip athlete. really nice guy to - and insanely strong!

http://www.veganbodybuilding.org/martin.htm

he is certified on the number three. its a shame he got bored with grip training and stopped as im sure he could have closed the number 4.

jonathan

Don't worry mate, I EXPECT YOU TO GET CERTIFIED AT NUMBER 4!

You know what? This is making me want to do this and hit the #4. My grip is really strong and I think this would add to my repertoire as a personal trainer. Thanks for getting me into this. Do you have a list for the certified ppl?

As for this guy, I have seen him before. He is in pretty good shape...

As for him close to #4, it sure look like it as he can close a #3 with 3 fingers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 7:27 am 
Elephant

hey kollision - have you tried the rack lockout yet? it will give you an idea of which gripper to buy to start training with.

i imagine it would go something like this:

less than 450lb, CoC #1
less than 750lb, CoC #2
less than 1000lb, CoC #3
over 1000lb, you gotta be working towards the number 4.

be warned though - they look alot easier than they are! unless you specifically grip train, 99% of people will not be able to close the #2. michael is the only person i have heard of who has - and he has popeye forearms!

good luck with it though! it would be great to show people if ever any of your cliets doubted vegan power!

jonathan

Repeat

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 11:03 am 
Elephant

Wow.

Okay, i'll get one of those :lol:
Jonathan, you don't get a share of the profit from the Captains of Crush Grippers, do you? ;)

Kollision, do you train your grip specifically so far?

This Martin is amazingly strong in the grip!
What's plate curling?

Quote:
Bending to parallel a 6” nail that had been cut to 4”. This was done in front of my chest unbraced. This was probably the hardest thing I’ve ever done!
How thick is an 6" nail? What does he mean by "unbraced"?

Quote:
Crushing a raw potato with the index and middle finger of my right hand.
:shock: I can't even imagine that...

Now i'm motivated to train my grip! :D
Tomorrow it's the rack lockout again. I'll post my results, see you 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 1:20 pm 
Elephant

i think that plate curling is holding the plate from the top in a pinch grip method and then curling it, like you would a dumbell.

the nails that i saw him bend were about 5mm thick i think. very thick, very stiff to bend! im not sure what he means by unbraced.

i once tried, not long ago to crush a potato. harly made a mark on it! :lol:

jonathan

ps - no sadly they give me no money - maybe they should!

Repeat

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 8:32 pm 
Elephant

Jonathan,

Where did you get that chart based on rackout to grip number? Is this what you have learned your self or its a widely accepted chart amongst grippers?

I will try the lockout later as I am going through an HST cycle right now. I might squeeze one in on my cardio days, I shouldve done it today!

Thanks a lot, you gave me motivation to work on my grip again!

Daywalker,

I used to workout my grip in high school. I used to be known for my grip lol. My grip is more than 2 times stronger now, and I wonder which one I would be able to do. I doubt I'll be able to do Jonathans #, but I will try and workup to that.

Speaking of grip exercises, there was one article on Bodybuilding.com that I read on over a year ago. Here it is:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/par15.htm