Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Got injured during Seated Calf Raise
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 5:21 am 
Offline
Elephant

Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm
Posts: 1448
Well I was doing 15 Reps of Seated Calf Raise. I had on 265 lbs. So it was 5 plates + 35 + 5. Heres the exact machine:

Image

Now I have done over 6 Plates before up to 15 times, but today was different. At the last 15 rep, I went down super quick and I tried to get the lock there in at the same time but I couldn't and the weight went all the way down, taking my ankle with it. It went super quick. Picture this:

Image

But the rest of the foot all the way down, as far as the weights can go when not on the stopper. I heard a bunch of cracks (and I had my headphones on too). I couldnt walk for a good minute without wobbling so I just got up and took the weights off and sat back down for a minute.

Point of this post. Do you think theres anything that could have been broken? If so, do I need to see a doctor? I generally don't need to see a doctor for this type of stuff. I remember I was trying to bench 475 (?) and the thing dropped to my chest and no one was spotting (well they were but they didnt grab it), and I heard a crack, but my chest was fine. I think I am just going to brush this off, but what do you guys think? Could there be damages?


Thanks to ImageShack for Free Image Hosting


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 5:58 am 
Offline
Elephant
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2005 3:38 pm
Posts: 1869
Location: Vegan Strength Cult, German HQ
Hey big guy,

:(

I hate injuries! They always happen when my training is running good and throw me back to the beginning again! :evil:

kollision wrote:
Point of this post. Do you think theres anything that could have been broken?

I can't really say it from the info you give. A cracking sound alone does not necessarily mean something's broken.

Quote:
If so, do I need to see a doctor?

If so, yes!

Quote:
I generally don't need to see a doctor for this type of stuff.

I usually never see a doctor, but then again, i'm one...
I have to go now, but have a look at these questions:

- Is the pain in your ankle getting better or worse?
If it's getting better already, it might not be serious. If the pain gets worse during the first hours, go see a doctor.

- Is your ankle swollen badly?
- Is your ankle blue or red?
If yes, it indicates a more serious injury, a fracture or rupture of ligaments or tendons. Go see a doctor immediatly!

- Can you still move your ankle? Can you walk?
If you're able to move your foot normally, it's probably not broken, but could still be partly ruptured.


Quote:
I think I am just going to brush this off, but what do you guys think? Could there be damages?

Yes, there could be damages. I would expect damages by the way you describe the accident!
It really depends on you if you think it's nothing serious or it is. I would recommend to see a doctor just to make sure.
You wrote you couldn't walk for a minute - what then??? Was it better?
At first i suspected you've ruptured your achilles tendon, but that would not have been better after a minute.

I wish you all the best, may it be nothing serious!!

love and peace,
Daywalker

_________________
No one said it would be easy.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 7:03 am 
Offline
Elephant

Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm
Posts: 1448
Hello Day,

Thanks for the response.

Quote:
I usually never see a doctor, but then again, i'm one...


LOL. You can't go wrong there.

Quote:
If it's getting better already, it might not be serious. If the pain gets worse during the first hours, go see a doctor.


I actually meditated on my leg while at the gym and the pain subsided greatly. I also had to walk home from the gym, which is between 1 to 2 miles and did a meditation on that as well, and my foot barely hurt, wasnt an inconvience at all and I barely felt it.

As for now, I havent been meditating on my leg so the pain has came back. But Ill see how my sleep goes. Generally I get recovered after a rest.

Quote:
- Is your ankle swollen badly?


Not at all thank God.

Quote:
- Is your ankle blue or red?


Same :D

Quote:
If yes, it indicates a more serious injury, a fracture or rupture of ligaments or tendons. Go see a doctor immediatly!


I actually thought about my tendons and ligaments when it happened. But from those two negative answers to the question, thankfully its most likely out of the question.

Quote:
If you're able to move your foot normally, it's probably not broken, but could still be partly ruptured.


Yup I can move it normally, full ROM. Problem is that it hurts when I point my toe downwards or when I walk and the ball of the foot raises and its toes on the ground. I'll get to that in the next reply.

Quote:
Yes, there could be damages. I would expect damages by the way you describe the accident!
It really depends on you if you think it's nothing serious or it is. I would recommend to see a doctor just to make sure.
You wrote you couldn't walk for a minute - what then??? Was it better?
At first i suspected you've ruptured your achilles tendon, but that would not have been better after a minute.


Ya, it was a ballistic movement with none of my antagonist muscle support since I just dropped it on the way down. As for the doctor, sucks cause Im not on a plan right now. This is why its an even bigger thing.

As for the walking, like I mentioned the meditation took a lot of the pain out of my mind. But now it bugs me especially when I kneel down and when I need to get back up especially.


Same thing with the achilles tendon I was thinking, because thats the area that hurts the most. I think when the toes point down and the heel goes up it places pressure and strain on the achilles region since there is flexion. Theres pain with extension, but not as much as flexion.

There's also a small pain at the upper left lateral to my leg, but its not really that noticeable.

Quote:
I wish you all the best, may it be nothing serious!!


Thanks for the well wishes, I deeply appreciate them. You have a great day too! Love and peace as well.


Sadly...if this isnt better by the time I wake up, I'm going to have to skip the gym today because it was cardio.... :(


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 11:04 am 
Offline
Gorilla
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm
Posts: 731
as a person who is loaded with injuries all the time, it sounds like you fractured something.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 12:04 pm 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm
Posts: 6067
Location: England
kollish, are you in any pain now? It sounds quite frightening to me. If you're in pain, I wouldn't advise training that area of your body, at very least, and if pain or discomfort has continued without progress, I'd get it checked out at the doctors. Better to go to the doctors and find out it's nothing, rather than sit around thinking it's nothing and find out that you had a fracture and it set incorrectly or something


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 12:58 pm 
Offline
Gorilla
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm
Posts: 731
seriously even if you have to drop mad cash, get it x-rayed. I've gone many times without doctors, and at the same time Ive had many doctors mal-practice, and I have problems that will stick with me for life.

the best investment is into your health.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 1:15 pm 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2005 8:05 pm
Posts: 21037
Location: Austin, TX
Hey Big K,

Sorry to hear you hurt yourself on that machine. I've done the same, on that same machine! But for me, I thought I pulled a muscle because I thought I set it on the saftey rest but I had not and the weight smashed my heals to the ground when I wasn't expecting it.

Yeah, seeing a doctor, getting x-rays are all good things to do. You always want to be safe when it comes to things like this.

Let us know how it goes. We don't want our biggest strongest guy out with an injury, sorry it happenend man :(

Get better soon,

Robert

_________________

Check out my Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness Book on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Vegan-Bodybuildin ... 497&sr=1-1


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 7:01 pm 
Offline
Elephant

Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm
Posts: 1448
Richard wrote:
kollish, are you in any pain now? It sounds quite frightening to me. If you're in pain, I wouldn't advise training that area of your body, at very least, and if pain or discomfort has continued without progress, I'd get it checked out at the doctors. Better to go to the doctors and find out it's nothing, rather than sit around thinking it's nothing and find out that you had a fracture and it set incorrectly or something


Im in some pain, but its way better than yesterday. My sleep paid off. The pain is still in the same areas, but the lateral upper left side of my foot hurts more now than my achielles heel, which is probably a sign that my heel "healed".

Of course I'm not going to train that area, unless I want it to pop out :P

Quote:
seriously even if you have to drop mad cash, get it x-rayed. I've gone many times without doctors, and at the same time Ive had many doctors mal-practice, and I have problems that will stick with me for life.

the best investment is into your health.


Money isnt a thing that I have a lot of. So health will have to take a step back :P

Quote:
Hey Big K,

Sorry to hear you hurt yourself on that machine. I've done the same, on that same machine! But for me, I thought I pulled a muscle because I thought I set it on the saftey rest but I had not and the weight smashed my heals to the ground when I wasn't expecting it.

Yeah, seeing a doctor, getting x-rays are all good things to do. You always want to be safe when it comes to things like this.

Let us know how it goes. We don't want our biggest strongest guy out with an injury, sorry it happenend man Sad

Get better soon,


Thanks for the kind words. I'll let my body handle this one. Like I said, money isnt what I have the most of. Anywho, "GooooOOO Achilles Heel!"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 8:00 pm 
Offline
Elephant
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2005 3:38 pm
Posts: 1869
Location: Vegan Strength Cult, German HQ
Hey big K,

how is it today?

I'm glad it doesn't seem to be serious! :)

_________________
No one said it would be easy.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 9:30 pm 
Offline
Elephant

Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm
Posts: 1448
Daywalker wrote:
Hey big K,

how is it today?

I'm glad it doesn't seem to be serious! :)


It's way better thanks for asking. Im planning on doing cardio today. Thjere is a slight pain if I put in in flexion but either than that, Im a happy camper. THanks for the concern, I truely appreaciate it.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 2BLean and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  



{ ASACP_CREDITS }
{ ASACP_CREDITS }
{ ASACP_CREDITS } Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group