All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 7:40 pm 
Site Admin

dictionary definition of whey:

"Main Entry: whey
Pronunciation: 'hwA, 'wA
Function: noun
: the serum or watery part of milk that is separated from the coagulable part or curd especially in the process of making cheese and that is rich in lactose, minerals, and vitamins and contains lactalbumin and traces of fat"

I couldn't find a different definition, they all said it comes from milk. I don't know anything about this guy, but it is misleading to claim that whey is vegan. There are degrees of what people will do in their lifestyle or diet. But clearly, whey is something which most people would agree just isn't vegan, or at a stretch, would say it at least needs to be mentioned that it does come from milk, to let people make up their mind about how strict they are going to be about it, rather than make out like there's no question about it that it is definitely vegan.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 10:23 pm 
Rabbit

The watery part that comes off of soy milk is 'whey' as well.

It could be that he doesn't even know what 'whey' is. For many years I thought 'whey' was a kind of bread product. I didn't eat it but didn't really know what it was either. I think Mahler is brighter than that though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 12:25 pm 
Rabbit

The watery part that comes off soya "milk" is not Whey, not technically. Also there is no commerial vegan "whey-like" product, so the point is mote. This subject is "raging" across several boards now (with a lot of the same people :lol:
All commerial whey protein isolates are made from milke, so advising someone to eat a whey protein powder is telling them to eat a non-vegan product.

Whether Mike (who seems a clever guy & ok everytime I've ever spoken to him) made a mistake about it, or is mis-informed I don't know.
On he Vegan Fitness list I've said I'd be happy to communicate with him as long as I got permission from the person who got the mail from him to use it (I don't like using quotes from personal stuff without permission). I dont' think it will be a problem unless we all go in gung-ho without finding out the exact details.
It's a shame Mike doesn't believe veganism can be as good, if not better than a meat diet (he ought to talk to Pat Reeves- European Powerlifting champion ) who's kept terminal cancer at bay for more than a decade using raw vegan diet & alternative therapies (the doctors gave her weeks when first diagnosed!). Or the a lot of the older guys that "cured" their bad joints by a change of diet to a vegan style of eating. But, if he believes that, then he should be honest about it. He thinks you can do better with meat, than without, it'll be up to us guys & gals to prove him wrong :twisted:

Vegan Bodybuilding Facebook

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 6:02 pm 
Stegosaurus

michaelhobson wrote:

At the bottom of the "vegan diet" page, he has the following link:

Quote:
Great Online Resource For Finding Free Range Eggs and Dairy Products In Your Area

UGH! :evil:

my sentiments exactly.

THis guy may be an ethical vegan, but he is clearly not pro-animal rights. The difference between these two things is becoming increasing clear to me as time goes on.