Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 192 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 13  Next
 Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:34 pm 
Rabbit

Zack wrote:
I am a big eater. :?

4000 calories isn't even difficult for me...lol

Usually get some greens in, but that day I had none left.

I can hardly eat 2000! Seriously, I take a mental tally of what I've eaten for the day and it's like 1200-1500 most of the time, it's TERRIBLE. I need more since I'm doing weights and running...I'm just kinda poor. I eat like...bananas, oatmeal, quinoa, red beans, lentils, peanut butter, kale and broccoli.

I could easily eat more calories on the same budget, it would just be more fat though, and I don't really want that. Damn the cheap American diet standards!

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:53 pm 
Mastodon

apple wrote:
Zack wrote:

I can hardly eat 2000! Seriously, I take a mental tally of what I've eaten for the day and it's like 1200-1500 most of the time, it's TERRIBLE. I need more since I'm doing weights and running...I'm just kinda poor. I eat like...bananas, oatmeal, quinoa, red beans, lentils, peanut butter, kale and broccoli.

I could easily eat more calories on the same budget, it would just be more fat though, and I don't really want that. Damn the cheap American diet standards!

I do the same, I can't stand to sit there and count 100% accurate, but I just eyeball it. I've been eating the same for a while so I know the calorie contents. I usually don't eat that much just because it takes so much effort to do, gets annoying, still easy to do though. :)

I've been known to eat ridiculously high amounts of carbs, enough to make any female on a low carb diet hate me. Ask thendanisays, or veggieprincess about that one. :D

335 Squat

Post subject: Re: What are the bulkers eating???
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 5:54 pm 
Rabbit

Wow, some of these diets are alot real freakin food!

My question would be..
The amount of fiber in a vegan diet. I cant imagine taking in 4 to 6 thousand calories a day of just plant foods, especially if your weighing under 200 pounds. Do you have to get use to this many fiber rich foods (how much fiber is it anyway). I was able to hit the over 5000 mark many years ago when I was drinking milk , eating red meat, and sometimes using refined sugars (like soda) when I couldnt get enough calories from food. But thats not a diet im recommending to anyone for sure, LOL!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:31 pm 
Finch

"-Peanut Butter and Jelly in a burrito (it's really not that bad!)"

QUOTED FOR TRUTH!

I eat a LOT of spaghetti.

209.4 body weight, 360 1RM flat bench.

Edit: I also pack in a lot of french fries and all-you-can-eat pancakes.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 1:14 pm 
Rabbit

DV wrote:
Many of our forum members have lost or maintained body fat on a "high" fat diet.
For the record, I have to hide peanut butter in our storage unit because I've been known to polish off 1/2 a jar in an evening.

me too haha! I have a ridiculously high-fat diet: nuts, sunflower seeds, peanut butter smoothies, avocados, olive oil, easily over 100 grams a day haha.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:56 am 
Rabbit

Typical lunches:

-2lbs of potatoes together with some nice runner beans
-rice with what-the-hell-is-that
-quinoa
-1lbs of carrots, 1lbs of broccoli, 1lbs of cauliflower, 1lbs of paprika, 1lbs of onions
-soups and stews
-vegetable paella
-vegetable chili
-hummus
-pizza
-rice or bean burgers
-everything from fatfreevegankitchen - great recipes, man!
-loaf of my own bread
-whatever weird thing jumps into my mind; I love cooking and I do it all the time. Also, I try to come up with at least one new combination of food and spices everyday. Helps me staying in balance.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:59 pm 
Rabbit

I find it very difficult to eat above 2000~ calories on all raw foods.

Raw foods are just too satisfying for the hunger to eat alot.

Like if I have one huge organic spinach salad with organic carrots, organic cucumber, organic alfalfa sprouts, celery, and dressing it fills me to my stomach, and it only has like 40 calories max!

I wouldn't say you necessarily have to consume lots of calories to stay healthy and fit

To me a calorie isnt just a calorie. It depends on where the calorie came from.

Like if I eat a bowl of oatmeal which has about 150-200 calories I sometimes dont get full

But if I eat a big 40 cal salad I cant eat anymore

Haha sorry people for the unorganized post, I hope yous get my drift.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 1:06 am 
Elephant

This is officially the slowest-moving thread ever. One post every 2 months or so? This is madness!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 4:36 am 
Elephant

Starches (brown rice, potatoes, buckwheat, quinoa & millet), legumes, TVP, fruits, nuts/seeds/avocado, soy milk, rice protein, oils and veggies. Pretty much in that order from most calories in my diet to least calories of my diet.
I supplement with EAA, beta-alanine and creatine.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:18 pm 
Rabbit

evolveahimsa wrote:
DV wrote:
Many of our forum members have lost or maintained body fat on a "high" fat diet.
For the record, I have to hide peanut butter in our storage unit because I've been known to polish off 1/2 a jar in an evening.

me too haha! I have a ridiculously high-fat diet: nuts, sunflower seeds, peanut butter smoothies, avocados, olive oil, easily over 100 grams a day haha.

I would be really careful with a high fat diet.

It can cause big time problems down the road.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 7:36 pm 
Elephant

so? and what kind of problems exactly?

The Squat:

“It's a great excuse to wear a big ass belt that makes you look less fat.”

- Dave Tate

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 7:41 pm 
Rabbit

xphilx wrote:
so? and what kind of problems exactly?

Diabetes,
Heart Problems,
Stress on the Liver, kidneys

Cooked fat vegan is still not that healthy.

Healthier to get most of your calories from veggies and fruits.

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 3:19 pm 
Manatee

apple wrote:
Zack wrote:

Imagine one getting intake of 4000 or so by eating bananas, red beans, quinoa and veggies of the like; would that be satisfactory for a bulker's needs?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:02 pm 
Finch

wheat gluten (I'm addicted to field roast sausages), soy sources whether soy milk or tofu or edamame etc., all varieties of beans, sunflower seed kernels, all varieties of nuts (I mostly get almonds), whole wheat breads (gotta really watch the labels on these), brown rice, tons and tons and tons of hummus. love it. one trick I've gotten in the habit of doing is buying soy crisps and using them to scoop up the hummus, but be sure to check the labels; the ranch soy crisps have milk ingredients.

get fats from avocado (I use alot in salads), of course also nuts of all kinds, and I personally love green olives and eat tons.

carbs from wheat breads and pastas, and obviously from fruits. my favorites are blueberries, blackberries, bananas, grapes, and apples. you can also get oatmeal, but alot of that can be sketchy so I just eat straight up quaker oats with berries, almonds, and soy milk.

make sure you meet other dietary loose ends like calcium from kale or leafy greens, and iron from chickpeas, selenium from brazil nuts, potassium from bananas, etc.

I'll make a big pot of stuff like spicy veggie gumbo with an array of veggies, the Mexican chipolte wheat gluten sausages and diced tomatoes, and just save it and eat on it for a few days.

this is very very general but my protein is about 20%, carbs 60%, and fats 20%. I don't crunch numbers, but just make good decisions. eat 6 times a day, and eat til you're full.

as for supplements, I just take one flax seed oil or a spoon of udo's oil a day, and one high potency multivitamin a day (read the label on this too, sometimes it can have fish ingredients)

and just generally read labels on everything that has one. avoid high fructose corn syrup, hydrogenated oils, msg, etc.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:50 pm 
Manatee

What Robert and VeganEssentials wrote on the first page really is the truth. When you're bulking, you eat. You cram high quantities of calorie-dense foods together and eat that shiz right up. I haven't bulked since becoming vegan, but my omnivore stuff was absolutely insane. I'd eat a pound of meat and double that in vegetables in one meal. It's that kind of quantity you're looking for if you want to bulk. Bulking is deliberate. It does not happen on accident (except for when you eat half a jar of delicious PB, lol), and that's what I tell people when I'm at work because, seriously, they seem to think that shiz is something that can accidentally pop onto them overnight. Muscle is deliberate, bulking is deliberate. You must deliberately eat lots of food that is high in calories.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 192 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 13  Next