glute help

Hero

okay so I have a small ass and I need it to be big and muscley again.

squats, and legpresses for some reason build up my quads but leave my butt alone, and deadlifts works my hams and lower back but not my rear.

so how do I jumpstart my buns to get them to grow?

any specific routines for a bigger bottom?

thanks.

glute replacement words used in post: 5

The main thing with squats is, are you pushing off of your toes, middle of your foot or heels? Where you push from, how wide your stance is and how deep you go will determine what you get out of them. For example, I used to do really high-bar style squats and push too much off the fronts of my feet - it made my quads grow like crazy, but my hamstrings and glutes didn't get much out of it. Once I widened my stance a bit, started going deep to well past parallel and would push off my heels instead of the fronts of my feet I could feel the unworked muscles getting into it more, and now my hamstrings and glutes feel the most sore after a good session. Experiment with different widths (I prefer just sightly wider than shoulder stance, but very wide works well for glute/ham recruitment as well) so it may just be that your form needs a bit of tweaking to get it down to where it will do the most good for what you're seeking.

If you decide to use a leg press (which I don't really recommend), try heels-only presses with the front half of your feet hanging off the platform - use only your heels to push off and it'll do more good for your needs than standard positioning leg presses. But, as it is known, I think that the leg press machines of the world should just be melted down to make more steel for 45 and 100 lb. plates as they'd do more good that way, so I'm not one to say much about those cursed things Once I realized years ago that my being able to leg press 1300 lbs. for 5 reps didn't translate to being strong in any other movement made me lose all respect for those machines. Not to mention a few back injuries from the idiotic seat angles soured me a bit as well.

Anyway, getting a bit off track here. Squat, squat wide, squat deep, and push off of your heels and you'll get what you need!

Ryan

I have had the same question for Robert some time ago. My butt is not small at all, but lost its roundings and muscles a little, because I never worked out. Robert advised lunges for the butt. It makes my butt feel very sour and combined with good mornings it is a great workout for me. I also do squats as much as possible and I am using a close stand with parallel legs. Maybe I should pass the parallel stand to feel the butt a litlle bit more.

Nobbi,

Definitely try squatting with legs slightly wider than shoulder width, go down to where your butt is below your thighs and knees (below parallel) and push off your heels as much as possible and it'll work more for improving glutes than narrow stance with legs parallel. You don't need to turn your feet outward much, maybe about 15-30 degrees depending on what is comfortable for you, but give it a try and see if it helps!

Ryan