Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:18 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 8:29 am 
Rabbit

Hi Robert it,s shame you can,t get anymore show,s in with the condition you are in but I know what you mean by the finacial aspect of competiting I have 2 more show,s to do this year and a guest spot 3weeks time the WABBA Mr Britain 4weeks time NABBA Mr Britain 5weeks the London Animal Aid Vegan fair[guest spot] so this 9 shows 2 guest spots I will have spent over$2.000 its going to be a lean Christmas this year Next year if I don,t get sponsorship I will not be competiting people outside of the game do not realize how much we have to put into getting ready for a show mental/physical/finacial etc etc.For the life of me I can,t understand why the Vegan companies have not picked us up and given us support as we are both excellent role models for a Vegan lifestyle.VEGAN=POWER-ROBBIEx ps Hope all goes well with your movie and you make mega buck,s Rx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 9:07 am 
Site Admin

Robbie,

Best of luck in your shows!

Man, I know exactly what you mean. It is very expensive to compete when you consider all of the things involved and that we usually start to prepare 8-16 weeks before the show. I wish more companies would sponsor vegan athletes like ourselves. I've tried with many and come up short nearly everytime. I've been lucky to get some sponsorship from a few companies over the years, but far less than what I had hoped.

That is why I like to sponsor vegan athlete with Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness. We don't have much money but we've officially sponsored a few athletes so far, paying for their entry fee, providing them with clothing and supplements and promoting them through websites and stuff like that.

I hope more of us will get some sponsorship money and endorsement stuff in the coming years. That is the main reason why I haven't competed very much, I simply can't afford it.

Best of luck to you and keep us updated on your contest results.

-Robert

Check out my Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness Book on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Vegan-Bodybuildin ... 497&sr=1-1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 9:08 am 
Site Admin

I agree man. Has anyone contacted vegan companies to ask about sponsorship? I think Robert mentioned something about it before, and it not working out. It seems really weird that they wouldn't support you. A few thousand dollars a year isn't that much for advertising, in the big picture.

EDIT: posted at the same time as Rob ^

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 10:03 am 
Site Admin

Hey Richard,

Yeah, it is too bad. I have failed over and over when trying to get sponsorship in the past. I even had my father, Dr. Peter Cheeke look over my proposals before I sent them out to various companies. One of the main problems is pretty sad. A lot of the companies I was trying to connect with were food companies and the thing is, many of them are not owned by vegans or vegetarians. They sell vegan products like mock meat foods (flavored tofu, etc.) but they have no interest in having a vegan representative; that is the last thing they want. They sell so many of their products to non-vegans who are just looking for a substitute lower in cholesterol or fat and having a vegan representative would actually hurt their reputation.

I didn't realize that at first, but now I know. So now I have to look deeper into the companies to find out which ones are TRUE vegan companies and which ones are more like a trick, making money off non-vegans. I don't blame them and in fact they are helping with veganism by selling vegan foods, they just don't always have all the right morals behind their companies.

I actually haven't tried to get any sponsorship in nearly 2 years, yet during the past two years I've been sponsored by multiple companies. Sometimes things fall into place like that, other times it takes a lot of work.

I will attempt to get sponsored by companies again later on this year and early next year.

-Robert

Check out my Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness Book on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Vegan-Bodybuildin ... 497&sr=1-1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 11:12 am 
Site Admin

I'd have thought that Vegan Society, Vegetarian Society or maybe even Peta would want to be represented by you? But I dunno if they really sponsor anyone / anything.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 11:59 am 
Rabbit

robert, thats absolutly great!
congratulations mate
i'll spread it!

:D
felix

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 10:39 pm 
Site Admin

I just signed up for photobucket today because I know so many people use it and it seems easy.

So I'll go ahead and test it out. Here are a few Pre-Contest photos and I'll continue to add more in this thread as well, including come contest photos:

Image[/img]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 10:51 pm 
Site Admin

Photobucket Rules! I'm always afraid to try new things like using websites, cell phones, etc. because I'm afraid I won't know how, but it was totally easy! Now I just need to learn how to properly use a remote control.

Wow, those photos were really big, at least on this computer screen I'm working from. So these should be a bit smaller.

Now that I take a look at my photos, I'm not sure if I really am in my best-ever shape, but I still feel like is in pretty good shape:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 11:31 pm 
Site Admin

Ok finally! Here are some contest photos of Me and my Pro-Wrestler competitor!

He is about 15 pounds heavier than me, but please note he is closer to the camera lense in most photos which makes him dwarf me even more :P

So here are a few from the contest. I will work hard in the off-season to get bigger and bigger. I feel pretty small once I cut down for contest conditioning.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 11:57 pm 
Site Admin

Here are the final result photos. Me in 2nd place and photos taken after the show up on stage.

Thanks to Megan for taking all the photos.

Topher took the pre-contest photos from outside and in the gym. Megan took all the pre-contest ones at the hotel room, and all the photos from the competition. Thanks Team!

I'll just have to get bigger and better and go back to compete many times next year!

Thin Thin PhotoBucket Is Totally Awesome Him

Thanks again for all the support. I will continue to improve.

-Rob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 12:22 am 
Stegosaurus

your legs are way better than the other guys. I really dont see why he won. Maybe he had bigger wings? (i.e. more a that V shape)? I call it wings.

I know you need wings for a bodybuilding contest, and guys that work out generally like to develop their wings, but I dont like wings all that much. If I wanted to see wings, I'd date a bird.

It's all about the abs (and arms), baby :wink: 8)

anyway that is just my two cents for what it was worth.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 5:43 am 
Elephant

Cool pictures!

The guy is big, but he's got no definition.
I quote an athlete from the German Championship, who was VERY shredded, very big also,
but placed 3rd or 4th only in the heavy weights. He said before he knew his place "I have cuts
everywhere, look at my legs, they have to judge that! If they don't, and prefer mass, i could have
done so - i wouldn't have had to go on the hard diet at all!" He was referring to the winner,
who was a giant but without definition. I think he's absolutely right, what is the diet for when
being cut is judged less than being big??

You had him in the definition department, but he was bigger. So? He also has this skin flap at his belly :?

As you said, next year - bigger and better, to leave no doubt and no other choice for the
jury than to let you win!
8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 6:04 am 
Site Admin

Thanks for the photos. Yeah, the back is the thing that I imagine the judges took most into consideration, his was a lot wider, and it affects a lot of the aesthetics and the stance etc. I agree that all over you have less fat than him. What are your targets now?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 11:28 am 
Site Admin

Hey fellow vegan friends,

Thanks for the comments and feedback. I know that he beat me fairly easily. He was quite a bit bigger. He cut down initially from 280 pounds to 240 pounds and then contest day he was 188 pounds. I was only 173 on contest day and I've peaked at 193, so he had a much bigger frame. It was pretty cool to be on stage up against a WWF Pro Wrestler because for 13 years, that is exactly what I wanted to be!

In the future I'm going to try to hit the stage with a much larger frame. I was doing nearly 2 months of fairly intense cardio to get shredded but I think I lost some size along the way.

The best photos I think are the ones in the pink trunks that Megan took after the contest was over. Legs are probably my strong point and I have many weak areas to work on.

I don't think the scoring was even close, my pro wrestler buddy John beat me pretty easily but I think if there were more of us I still would have done fairly well against guys closer to my weight.

So we gotta give the big dude credit, he looked pretty awesome. I think I may have been leaner through the legs, but overall he smoked me.

But, there's always next year!

Thanks for the support! I'll get more photos up later this week too.

Robert

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 12:18 pm 
Elephant

good photos rob - you really cut down well.

i would say your strongest points are your forearms (i think they are virtually unbeatable!), your delts, your back, especially around the spine, and the definition in your legs. the biceps are also good. overall leaness is excellent!

weak points would be overall mass, so i think its great you are planning to slap some on. if you could hit the stage with 195-200lbs on your frame you would look really really good. as regards weak muscle groups, your stomach, and the mass of your triceps and chest, which look comparatively small next to your shoulders. you just need to bench bench and bench!

i think, if 200lbs were a target to hit the stage with, you may need to bulk up to 215-220 and then cut back. you would however be a monster!

jonathan

Repeat

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next