Stair Climbing

Discuss Cycling, Marathons, Endurance Sports, Martial Arts, Yoga, all other sports

Moderators: Mini Forklift Ⓥ, C.O., Richard, robert, SyrLinus

EdensDemise
Manatee

Stair Climbing

#1 Postby EdensDemise » Sat Dec 20, 2014 5:12 am

Hi,
i know this is a bit weird, but have you ever tried stair climbing workouts as a cardio workout? I have read a lot about it and it seems like a useful training for resistance and cardio.
I often am lazy to go out and run in the cold and rain and i hate cardio machines because they are boring and static..
I tried to climb 150 flights of stairs in a day and i can say my heart was beating really fast and i felt really good..
Does anyone have some opinions about it?
Respect for nature and innocent life, the end of human over human oppression. A peaceful world can evolve after animal liberation.

Hobbs
Rabbit

Re: Stair Climbing

#2 Postby Hobbs » Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:11 pm

It kills me :p

EdensDemise
Manatee

#3 Postby EdensDemise » Sat Dec 20, 2014 4:35 pm

Do you think it could be useful if made everyday, maybe with some extra weights to carry?
Respect for nature and innocent life, the end of human over human oppression. A peaceful world can evolve after animal liberation.

C.O.
VBB Moderator

#4 Postby C.O. » Wed Dec 24, 2014 1:37 pm

great on the calves, and go backwards up the stairs too.

esqinchi
Elephant

#5 Postby esqinchi » Tue Dec 30, 2014 6:18 pm

There are plenty of variations you could do in training on stairs, like: each stair; every other stair; backwards stairs; step leaps; lateral step-ups; two(+) touch per stair; up up/down down; etc., and then add weights on all of those. If you add weights, I'd look into getting a weight vest so you don't blow your grip by the middle of the session. Can't say I'm not jealous of the idea!

EdensDemise
Manatee

#6 Postby EdensDemise » Thu Jan 01, 2015 6:03 am

i thought about wearing a backpack with some weights inside.. Feels like giving me a bit of resistance

esqinchi
Elephant

#7 Postby esqinchi » Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:56 am

Backpack is a great idea. What if you got something softer, like a sandbag to put inside?

EdensDemise
Manatee

#8 Postby EdensDemise » Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:43 am

i do not have a sandbag unfortunately :/ but i put 10kg weight
i will do that tomorrow and see what the results are

Hobbs
Rabbit

#9 Postby Hobbs » Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:45 am

EdensDemise wrote:Do you think it could be useful if made everyday, maybe with some extra weights to carry?

Might get quickly boring to do it everyday. I'd try to mix up with other things like cycling/swimming/cross training/rowing for variety.
When I want to make it harder, I don't bother with weights and turn the speed up instead.

Eiji
Manatee

#10 Postby Eiji » Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:51 am

Sand bags are super easy to make. Go to your local hardware store and pick up a 50lb bag of sand and a roll of duct tape, I use gorilla tape. Wrap the entire bag with duct tape and you have a 50 lb sand bag that is very durable. You can also cut the bag open first to pour some sand out to make a bag that is lighter. Very affordable. Less than $10
Make no excuses to skip a training session. Feel stressed, sad, sick or tired? Go train. Your friends, your heart, mind and body will lie to you. Telling you that you need that recovery day. Go ahead, stay home. I'll be training that day and getting better no matter what.

muu
Rabbit

#11 Postby muu » Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:37 am

i get the impression that slow stair climbing is far more taxing than say, a jog or something... not sure if it's true, so far i've only goofed around for like a minute on stair machines

Eiji
Manatee

#12 Postby Eiji » Fri Sep 18, 2015 6:02 pm

Both are taxing. Running stairs is super cardio and walking stairs with weights is very taxing. Farmers carries up stairs are even better than sandbags in a backpack.
Make no excuses to skip a training session. Feel stressed, sad, sick or tired? Go train. Your friends, your heart, mind and body will lie to you. Telling you that you need that recovery day. Go ahead, stay home. I'll be training that day and getting better no matter what.

TankOnTwoLegs
Rabbit

#13 Postby TankOnTwoLegs » Sat Sep 19, 2015 8:41 am

You could be really sadistic with it and do 20 burpees after each flight.
One of the best things about being a Vegan is that after a couple of weeks, your poop becomes so clean you barely have to wipe.

“If you can’t win, make the athlete ahead of you break the record.”

Eiji
Manatee

#14 Postby Eiji » Sun Sep 20, 2015 1:15 am

TankOnTwoLegs wrote:You could be really sadistic with it and do 20 burpees after each flight.

Or push up, BW squats, or pistol squats. Now you're thinking.

henry thinman
Rabbit

#15 Postby henry thinman » Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:55 pm

I live on the 15th floor and do the stairs 2 at a time, tried 3 at a time the other day till I got to the 9th floor.

Return to “General Fitness/Other Sports”