Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: MMA on CBS
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:39 am 
Elephant

ronnie kray wrote:

It would be funny if shamrock lost that fight. :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 4:38 pm 
Gorilla

with all the controversy surrounding Elite XC and KJ Noons, it is forgotten that there is still a fight card coming up. and maybe Elite is learning to promote it's champions better after that fiasco.

there great new promo for the fight on Oct 4th. and instead of focusing on the stars like Kimbo Slice, this one focuses on the veterans in the title fight. this is the best promo Elite has ever put out.

Saturday Night Fights - Jake Shields vs. Paul "Semtex" Daley

Last edited by ronnie kray on Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:27 pm 
Elephant

ronnie kray wrote:
with all the controversy surrounding Elite XC and KJ Noons, it is forgotten that there is still a fight card coming up. and maybe Elite is learning to promote it's champions better after that fiasco.

there great new promo for the fight on Oct 4th. and instead of focusing on the stars like Kimbo Slice, this one focuses on the veterans in the title fight. this is the best promo Elite has ever put out.
Jake Shields vs Paul Daley

that is a tough call, does Noons fight diaz again, making far less then diaz, and reward the behavior? Does Noons fight him then go to court over the salary dispute? From what dana white said, it seems that elite xc is spending money that they dont have already. So if noons were to fight, then sue, there might not be any money anyway. It is a tough call. It is typically my postion that a fighter fights who ever is placed in front of them, but that presupposes the champ is making the best money.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:51 am 
Gorilla

hey i hear a new fight is in the works for the Oct 4th card. in addition to the title bout Jake Shields vs Paul Daley, and the main event Kimbo Slice vs Ken Shamrock, none other than former UFC heavyweight champ Andrei Arlovski may be fighting that night as well. he could be facing IFL vet "Big Country" Nelson. seems the Affliction event has been postponed and both are still looking for a fight. it would be crazy, because that is about 2 weeks notice. but i would like to see Arlovski fight again, and for free too. :D
[Source]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 6:22 am 
Elephant

Gina carrano (sp) is going to be on the card too. I ran across this gem. :lol:

I love the comments to it.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/blog/mma_ex ... mma,109535

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:39 am 
Gorilla

^^LOL on that article :lol:

so who's watching Saturday Night Fights on CBS this weekend?
Kimbo Slice vs Ken Shamrock
Andrei "The Pitbull" Arlovski vs Roy "Big Country" Nelson
Jake Shields vs Paul "Semtex" Daley(welterweight title fight)
Gina Carano vs Kelly Kobald
Murilo "Shogun" Rua vs Benji Radach

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:36 am 
Elephant

ronnie kray wrote:
^^LOL on that article :lol:

so who's watching Saturday Night Fights on CBS this weekend?
Kimbo Slice vs Ken Shamrock
Andrei "The Pitbull" Arlovski vs Roy "Big Country" Nelson
Jake Shields vs Paul "Semtex" Daley(welterweight title fight)
Gina Carano vs Kelly Kobald
Murilo "Shogun" Rua vs Benji Radach

oh ill be watching, nothing else on saturday nights. Plus the way dana white has been talking every sat night elitexc could be the last. if kimbo loses to shamrock after what tito did to him three times, then i dont know what kind of draw kimbo is going to be.

want to see gina fight.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 2:53 pm 
Gorilla

DRAMA AT THE WEIGH INS!

Gina Carano had trouble making weight. she had to strip naked to make it. no, we didn't get to see any nudity. there were towels. it's funny to see the guy behind her. when she missed weight the first time, he was like "umm... all those heavy clothes are weighing you down. maybe you should take off your clothes." :lol:
Jake Shields and Paul Daley had to be separated after exchanging words, Kimbo Slice and Ken Shamrock got into a shoving match.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 3:42 pm 
Gorilla

I'll be watching. I do not want to see Gina naked. I have to much respect for her as a fighter in the matches I've seen her in. I'd like to see more women get into MMA and see more female matches on MMA cards.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 10:24 pm 
Elephant

aaahhhh kimbo could you have at least one good outing on national TV :lol:

liked the fight with gina.

shields held in there for the arm bar. nice. I love the ground game. I dont know if I would consider him a top ten welterweight (the announcers said he was) with his stand up the way it is. He has great ground attacks though.

Looks like Affliction and Elite XC are circling the wagons. That is going to make getting Fedor in with Randy.

Could they have shown the fight between sylvia and Fedor enough tonight. :lol:

TapOut was on just about everyones back tonight.

dont know how to feel about tito coming to Elitexc, I havent ever been a fan.

would have liked to see arloski move around more instead of standing there for big country to grab.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 1:28 pm 
Gorilla

ELITEXC CLOSING UP SHOP

"EliteXC’s remaining show scheduled for Nov. 8 in Reno, Nevada has been canceled.... notifications had been sent out on Monday informing managers that the company was ceasing its fight promotion operations by the end of this week and it had begun the process of letting its employees go.

The company had accrued over $55 million in debt in its twenty-four months of operations. Though its third CBS-televised offering, Oct. 4’s “Heat,” was looked at as a ratings success by EliteXC and CBS executives, the company's financial position had become untenable in recent months."

what a shame. though it was not the best show in town, it did have some very talented top 10 fighters who now don't have a place to fight. if nothing else, they did provided those guys a place to fight and expose MMA to a new audience.

i wonder what will happen to those fighters now. certainly hope Jake Shields and Eddie Alvarez get picked up by UFC. maybe KJ Noons and Robbie Lawler too. UFC does not have a women's division, so i guess we may not see Gina Carano vs Cristi Cyborg for a while.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:17 am 
Elephant

well that leaves Affliction now. Dana was right about the debt that EliteXC was carrying. I hope that he is not right about Affliction too. That would leave only one big promotion in the US if Affliction went down.

Last edited by pazios2002 on Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:47 am 
Gorilla

It is too bad for all the fighters but it was really just a matter of time. Nothing like this lasts very long on prime time network tv. Ultimately it was a lame presentation of mma - the whole impression EliteXC gave was of a sideshow full of crooked dealings, dubious outcomes (early stoppages, lack of stoppages when there should have been) and distractions (dance routines?!). The promoters forgot what mma is about - the fights. They forced the match-ups, tried to hype up fighters with no pedigree (they banked a lot on Kimbo and that kind of fell on its face). The announcers sucked. The whole package was embarrassing to the mma world. Their 'Heat' show was a media flail-fest.

It is really too bad that women's mma doesn't have a significant promotion with EliteXC gone. I hope Affliction, or WEC pick them up, and eventually the UFC. Fight promotion's a tough game at this level. The UFC sets the bar pretty high. With Dream in trouble too (an excellent overseas promotion, basically Pride re-packaged), I wonder if Affliction's days are numbered. That would leave us with the UFC as the only big show in the world. This is all pointing to a settling of the dust in the mma fever that's swept the fighting world. Maybe a good thing though - we need solid organizations, not flaky, fly-by-night circus side shows like EliteXC. Can you tell I wasn't a fan of EliteXC?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 3:57 pm 
Gorilla

Strikeforce Lands Showtime Deal

The much-coveted deal, which has been quietly negotiated since December, proposes up to 16 live events per year from the popular San Jose, Calif., promotion, insiders have told Sherdog.com. The agreement also opens the door for four primetime specials on CBS, which owns the Showtime channels and had much success with MMA through EliteXC in a Saturday night primetime slot.

The ShoXC brand may still prove viable with the deal, although it appears the EliteXC name will no longer be used.

EliteXC’s marquee fighters, like Carano, Ferguson and former EliteXC middleweight champion Robbie Lawler among others, are being approached by Strikeforce to re-negotiate contracts.

this may sound strange, but the reason this excites me is the possibility of seeing women's mma again, specifically Gina Carano vs Cyborg Santos. :D

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:39 pm 
Elephant

Just seeing Gina again is fine with me. Although I dont have showtime, I do have CBS :lol:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next