What Sports Do You Play?

Discuss Cycling, Marathons, Endurance Sports, Martial Arts, Yoga, all other sports

Moderators: Mini Forklift Ⓥ, C.O., Richard, robert, SyrLinus

veggymeggy
Gorilla

#16 Postby veggymeggy » Thu Sep 15, 2005 2:10 pm

hehe....so true, so stereotypically Portland! But the cool thing about Portland is being stereotypical isn't bad! I have seen the dragon boats practicing lots of times, it's really fun to watch. I think I'd like to try it someday!

robert
Site Admin

#17 Postby robert » Sat Dec 24, 2005 5:13 pm

I know we have more athletes out there from a variety of sports. What do you guys/gals do other than lift weights?

I just started basketball season again so I'm doing that. I've taken a break from table tennis but still love to play, and on occasion I'll play some soccer.

Share with us :)

-rob

Check out my Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness Book on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Vegan-Bodybuildin ... 497&sr=1-1

Aaron
Elephant

#18 Postby Aaron » Sat Dec 24, 2005 7:51 pm

Hah! I wish athletic vegan girls were typical of portland.

Meanwhile Dodgeball starts back up for me Jan 12. That'll be fun. I used to play pickup football and soccer and sometimes kickball but lately I've just been running...

runner
Manatee

#19 Postby runner » Sat Jan 14, 2006 6:05 am

running track, but also road races..

will do a 10 mile next month, but normaly not longer than 10k

i like 1500mtrs, but in winter i go for a bit longer distance. Because i like the change, but also because there are no short races in winter.

dietcoke
Rabbit

#20 Postby dietcoke » Sat Jan 21, 2006 9:28 am

water polo (umm...duh...that's why I joined here!!!), competitive swimming, skiing

YES!!! I get to do swim AND play water polo at the same time!!! WOOHOO!!! (I start in March!) I love swimming, it's almost insane.

I'm fairly good at skiing,too, and would ski race (I sat down with my mom and went over my schedule: Mon: water polo, tues: ski, wed: water polo thurs: ski, fri: swim, sat: ski, sun: water polo) but she wouldn't listen. "Two sports is already too much!!!"

I'm SUPER competitive, seriously, the only reason I'm in algrebra (in eighth grade) is the fact that I wanted to prove that "jocks" are smart!!!
Quotes of the year from Tim Reed:

"This is not a recreational sport."

"I am tired of losing. I want to win. I want to kick ass."

"I couldn't give shit if you want to "make friends" or "have a good time." "

veggymeggy
Gorilla

#21 Postby veggymeggy » Sat Jan 21, 2006 2:35 pm

dietcoke wrote:
I'm SUPER competitive, seriously, the only reason I'm in algrebra (in eighth grade) is the fact that I wanted to prove that "jocks" are smart!!!

Aaaaand, if you take algebra as an 8th grader you can start with geometry as a freshman, take AlgII sophomore year, trig/pre-calc Jr year, and Calc sr year, then not have to take math when you get to college :D (at least not as much, depending on your field.) That's what I did!!!
Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams,
telling myself it's not as hard, hard, hard as it seems.

dietcoke
Rabbit

#22 Postby dietcoke » Sat Jan 21, 2006 5:57 pm

I know. :) That's motivation #2!!!
Quotes of the year from Tim Reed:

"This is not a recreational sport."

"I am tired of losing. I want to win. I want to kick ass."

"I couldn't give shit if you want to "make friends" or "have a good time." "

willpeavy
Elephant

#23 Postby willpeavy » Sat Jan 21, 2006 9:04 pm

I took algebra in 8th grade too. I like math though. It's always been my favorite subject
[url=http://willpeavy.net/:34olz5pn]willpeavy.net[/url:34olz5pn]

Odidnetne
Stegosaurus

#24 Postby Odidnetne » Sun Feb 05, 2006 11:03 pm

willpeavy wrote:I took algebra in 8th grade too. I like math though. It's always been my favorite subject

Computer programming for me.

I never have been big on many sports, except I used to love playing Dodgeball and Kickball when I was a kid, and "Manhunt" or "Freedom" would always allow me to break a sweat, and sometimes I'm found playing Dancing games in arcades/malls breaking a sweat, if that counts as a sport.

finbarrio
Elephant

#25 Postby finbarrio » Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:39 pm

I'm actually not a bodybuilder at all - just can't find any mountain biking vegan web sites :o so here I am.
Besides biking, I like trail running, soccer (played for my college), Tae kwon do, hoops, whatever. I'll do/play any sport.

robert
Site Admin

#26 Postby robert » Tue Feb 14, 2006 3:57 am

finbarrio,

You should start a Vegan Mountain Biking Thread in this "Other Sports" section and maybe you'll find others who do the same 8)

All the best,

-Rob

Check out my Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness Book on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Vegan-Bodybuildin ... 497&sr=1-1

willpeavy
Elephant

#27 Postby willpeavy » Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:35 am

finbarrio wrote:I'm actually not a bodybuilder at all - just can't find any mountain biking vegan web sites :o so here I am.
Besides biking, I like trail running, soccer (played for my college), Tae kwon do, hoops, whatever. I'll do/play any sport.

I'd be into moutain biking if there were any mountains near where I live!

I ride a trail built on old train tracks around here a couple of times a week. The closest thing we have to hills on it are the trail brides that go up over the highways
[url=http://willpeavy.net/:34olz5pn]willpeavy.net[/url:34olz5pn]

JW
Elephant

#28 Postby JW » Sat Mar 25, 2006 8:55 am

I've been a sports nut for as long as I can remember.
I played University soccer, made the university volleyball team (but declined to play....seemed a bit too serious and I wasn't willing to sacrifice my studies). I used to be a competitive curler too (what can I say...I'm Canadian :wink: )
Unfortunately, I blew out my ankle playing soccer and I haven't been the same since...lost 6 inches off my vertical jump (thus ending most of my aspirations) Can't play many sports with lateral movement now, so I did some long distance running (did a marathon and a few half marathons...of course my body rebelled against all that wear & tear too)
Now I'm taking up bodybuilding, which should be a significant challenge (always been a bit of a hardgainer)

Sometimes I wonder if I couldn't put my energies to better use, but doggone it........ sports are just sooooo much fun!!!! :D

neil
Manatee

#29 Postby neil » Fri Mar 31, 2006 2:29 pm

i'm not a bodybuilder either. :? but, i like the following:

running
triathlons (espec. the running & cycling portions)
tennis
snowboarding
skateboarding
basketball

i used to be into footbag (aka hacky sack), it actually can be quite athletic.
check out the world champ: http://v.footbag.org/media/805/1st_VasekKlouda.wmv
"Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the human race." -H.G.Wells

www.funkdc.com

bronco
Gorilla

#30 Postby bronco » Fri Mar 31, 2006 4:06 pm

I like floorball :D .

Return to “General Fitness/Other Sports”