My Two Race Only Bikes

Guest veganpotter

I finally got my road racing bike built and its ready to go. I'm getting a deeper set of aero rims in a few weeks but this is how I'll be set up for most of my races.

http://img182.imageshack.us/img182/7171/caad9cc0.th.jpg

This is my Time Trial bike/part time Triathlon bike(once I finally do one). This is the first time its had full aero garb. I haven't had aero wheels on this or the aero water bottle. This is what I'll be racing Sunday so long as the thunder stays away.

http://img374.imageshack.us/img374/9797/p2cpn9.th.jpg

Thanks Thats actually a local bike for you Cervelos are Canadian. I'm one of the top Cervelo Salesman in the region(after working for only 6 months) and that gets me extra price savings from them. This one isn't so expensive(the wheels are) but I could never rationalize buying my other Cervelo if I didn't get perks from them.

I just got my Flashpoint 80 wheels. I'll get them mounted soon and take a new pic...I think my bike will look much better with them on it.

What is the point of 650c wheels? Isn't it less efficient than 700?

650c tires were believed to be more aerodynamic...actually they are but the are so much harder to keep rolling that the size negates the aero advantage. My old time trial bike had 650c wheels and I didn't have to brake much into corners since the bike slowed so much on its own by coasting. However 650c tires do accelerate better, and climb better at slower speeds(mostly under 15mph).

phillipeb....I don't have the best bike handling skills but I'd love to try one of those and race you. There's actually a manic that builds those with large motors. He's had some nasty accidents.

Mr potter,

You can call me phil thats usually what i go by. It is weird being called my formal name.

Anywho if we raced in these:

http://www.newworldmfg.com/sumo1.jpg

It should go real smooth.

I just fixed a Raleigh Bike that was given to me, and i realized that

1. i love to ride

2. i suck at control of the bicycle

3. always pay attention to the road. lol. stupid potholes.

You'll get used to handling the bike better. Where do you hold the bars most of the time??? That has a lot to do with how comfortable you are and how the bike handles...so does the fit of the bike.

I am not use to the close grip of the bike. I havent ridden nor owned a bicycle since i was 12 so it takes getting use to again. the handle bar is kinda shaped kind of like this:

http://www.bikecult.com/works/archive/04bicycles/raleighSCssAhd.JPG

I have taken to riding kinda like your avatar picture. bent forward with my hands on the curve part. I am upset though because when i try to gain speed my chain gets a bit clunky. I am going to have to replace it.

Your derailleur may just need adjusted. If your chain has over a couple thousand miles you'll need to get a new cassette too...otherwise your worn cassette will just wear out your chain.

As for you position you shouldn't be in the curved part of your bars very often(they're called the drops). You should be on the flat part of the bar or the brake hoods 95% of the time. If you watch a pro race the riders are generally only on the drops at the end of a race, when they are sprinting on when they are on the front of the group.

Your derailleur may just need adjusted. If your chain has over a couple thousand miles you'll need to get a new cassette too...otherwise your worn cassette will just wear out your chain.

As for you position you shouldn't be in the curved part of your bars very often(they're called the drops). You should be on the flat part of the bar or the brake hoods 95% of the time. If you watch a pro race the riders are generally only on the drops at the end of a race, when they are sprinting on when they are on the front of the group.

Good to know. I just feel very dainty using the rails. there are two break mechanisms so you can reach the breaks from whatever position. I like to go fast as well so i guess i am naturally inclined to use the drops. Yeah my bike might need an overhaul its an early 80s bike and it looks all original.