Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:44 pm 
Another sad thing is the cost. The cost of dealing with patients with preventable head trauma is huge. Its no different then high insurance rates thanks to smokers asking for cancer. I hate the idea of high insurance costs thanks to smokers, the morbidly obese, and the mentally obtuse that think they're invincible from getting hit by a car.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:58 pm 
Elephant

Laura wrote:
I agree with everyone else, Dr. Pink. You really need to wear a helmet. I work in a rehab hospital and it's incredibly sad to see people with brain injuries that could have been prevented. If you PM me your address I'll send you one. Can't promise it'll be hot pink, though :lol: .

lol thanks. I actually do have a helmet and I wear it everyday. I was just curious on the illegality of helmets and bikes. It's not Hot Pink lol. It's red.

Check it out here. http://www.legendofzeldaseries.com/forums/index.php ^_^

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 2:07 am 
Stegosaurus

Dr. Pink wrote:
Alright. I'll wear one :wink:

I guess it doesn't matter. I can always take it off to show off my cool hat :lol:

A cap under a helmet you look much hotter :wink: They're were made for that, because a road helmet doesn't have a visor.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:24 am 
Stegosaurus

Quote:
I don't wear a helmet unless I'm out on some rural stretch of narrow shoulder. There's enough bike paths here where it's safe not to do so, but I agree it would probably do me some good.
Are you sure about that? You should wear one even on bike paths
Last year, Some cyclist, hit someone roller blading on the wrong side. The cyclist ended up dieing. You probably don't hear about this quiet often. But anything can happen. A few friends of mine were tearing it down hilll and almost nailed some people sitting in the middle of the path in a tunnel. Anyways, my friends moved out the way in time. But who the hell does that? You just never know. My helmet is always on all times.

Here's the article

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/s ... TopStories

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:45 am 
Rabbit

Tasha wrote:
Are you sure about that? You should wear one even on bike paths

We live alongside a designated bike path where large groups of cyclists train daily. Just a few months ago 2 cyclists riding in the same pack clipped each other and they both came off at 60km/h right in front of our home. One broke her arm and both had cuts and bruises. Thankfully helmets are mandatory here in Australia, so both of them escaped any serious head injuries.

On a somewhat related note, an Australian physicist has invented a safer bike helmet called the "cone-head". I'm not sure if it's on the market just yet. Probably motorcycle helmets first.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:19 am 
Its incredibly stupid to ride on the sidewalk...and illegal too. Quite a larger percentage of people on bikes get hit while on the sidewalk from cars pulling into shopping centers and out of driveways. Its dumb and not safe for anyone...helmet or not. Cyclists that follow the rules don't get hit as often as cyclists that don't follow the rules.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:31 am 
Rabbit

the only time I don't wear a helmet is when I ride my bike from my ON-campus apartment to the .35 miles or so to the heart of campus, but other than I always wear mine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:29 am 
Elephant

yesterday I was walking on the sidewalk and dumb ass on a bike (I don't call him a cyclist, that would be a quality) came from behind me. It just kind of hit my arm and his "excuse me!" sounded as if I was taking all the sidewalk just for myself. Go in the street! Most car drivers and amateur-tourist cyclists think bikes go on the sidewalk!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:01 pm 
Part of the reason why the road is seen as unsafe is that cars in the states don't see people riding on the road all the time. If everyone on a bike was on the street...cars would always look out for us. People riding on the sidewalk put all of us at risk. The higher the bike traffic on the road...the safer we all are.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 5:21 pm 
Rabbit

Wow it never even crossed my mind not to wear a helmet cycling. But oddly I will get on a motorcycle without one. go figure.

I just started road cycling last year (probably 20 years since I did outdoor cycling) Participated in the Tour the Cure 50k last month but my first major tour is in November, the El Tour De Tucson. 108 miles, I don't know about this lol I am not the best endurance athlete, but when the Tour gets closer I will have some training and nutritional questions for you all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 8:26 pm 
Thats a nice long tour...especially in the heat...good luck with that and feel free to ask anything. Other than a question about not wearing a helmet of course :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 8:38 pm 
Elephant

wow 108 miles is pretty long, I don't think I ever done that but I wanna do some similar rides this summer.

Today I bought a Bell, model Furio, first time I'll wear an helmet since more than 10 years. Perhaps I wouldn't have bought it without this thread.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 8:47 pm 
Great news...now hopefully you'll never need it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 10:11 pm 
Rabbit

Yeah that great, Im your man. I need a more modern style helmet. I think I look like a dork in the one I have lol

Cool that you are going to do some Tours this summer. It will be toward the end of November when the big Tour is here, but still pretty warm. I figure I will start training in September.

Last edited by BethL on Thu May 01, 2008 10:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 10:15 pm 
Rabbit

Thanks Potter, I will probably be crippled by the time it is over, but we have all day. There is shorter routes, so if things start looking iffy I may drop down. It sure would be cool to complete it though. I have a friend from Nebraska that will be flying in to ride with me. She is quite the endurance lady, so got to keep up lol

I think if I shed some bodyfat it will help but also have to make sure my energy level is up too. So need to get the fat off now before the training starts.