Which martial art makes you feel safer ?

First of all hi everyone im a new user , this topic will be on the style you prefare more to train in and that makes you walk the streets with more self security according to your own personal expirience . I personaly trained mma since age 8 so was a bit of everything but i want to focus on self defense systems over all , so say yours people on what works best for you and what your goals are .

If you have a background in martial arts you've already got a leg up on the random dude that would come after you without a weapon...especially since most people just use force/surprise and don't know what they're doing. What you need is to be able to defend yourself against a person with a weapon(something I definitely can't do)...so I say look for some disarming specific course.

If you have a background in martial arts you've already got a leg up on the random dude that would come after you without a weapon...especially since most people just use force/surprise and don't know what they're doing. What you need is to be able to defend yourself against a person with a weapon(something I definitely can't do)...so I say look for some disarming specific course.

ya agree hahaha dude i bet some teen with a white belt in anything could kick my ass easy

my personal style at the moment is kicking, biting, pulling, dislocating, cracking, snapping, anything and everything i can get a hold of, oh and i mean anything. i won't hesitate for a second grabbing, you know, so i can walk away alive.

Any martial art will give you the most crucial preparation - awareness and judgment. A martial artist of any discipline should have a better sense of when they're in danger and be able to avoid any physical confrontation at all.

If you're talking about an unavoidable, backed-into-a-corner situation, I think Krav Maga would be very good training, as would jujitsu, BJJ or Judo. If you're advanced enough, Aikido could be very handy, especially with disarms.

This question comes up so often. It really comes down to how well an individual can cope with fear, which often comes with experience. Those who have grown up in rough places are usually the most street smart and the most capable.

I don't have a lot of grappling or BJJ training, so naturally I would strike my way out of a situation if I absolutely couldn't run away from it. I would use leg kicks and go for weak spots like nose, throat solar plexus, then run. If the attacker had a significant weapon like a machete or a gun - I'd give up my wallet/watch/camera etc and hope for the best.

ya agree hahaha dude i bet some teen with a white belt in anything could kick my ass easy

my personal style at the moment is kicking, biting, pulling, dislocating, cracking, snapping, anything and everything i can get a hold of, oh and i mean anything. i won't hesitate for a second grabbing, you know, so i can walk away alive.

I think you'd be surprised at how weak a white belt is...or even some black belts in some disciplines. A lot of martial arts don't really teach fighting in that they often don't really experience true contact. I got in a lot of fights when I was a kid...often times with "trained" kids. I was rarely injured in a fight...granted I was 100 or more lbs larger but martial arts are supposed to neutralize things like size and strength. When it comes to cookoo tactics I think you'd find they don't get you far other than a shot to the balls. If you get in a fight with someone remotely tough you'll just piss them off doing that stuff.

It's true what Potter said, some (perhaps most of them) don't teach true fight technics with contact, it's only training to fight the void or innert objects, hitting the air, so when the student is confronted to reality, he doen't know what to do and he is very clumsy.

Only hardcore classes and teachers give proper training that can be useful in real life.

Which martial art is the best to defend yourself, it depends... if the person is unarmed and you don't wanna kill him, Judo can be very good to throw the opponont on the floor, also jujitsu to neutralise him with some arm or leg key, strangling, etc, or Wing-chun to be able to use the superiority in strenght or size of the opponent to your advantage.

But if the opponent is armed or very strong, if it's a matter of life or death, then the best martial art would be the deadlier and most versatile because it can adapt to any situation... Bruce Lee's Jeet-kune-do, Kung-fu, and maybe Karate. I don't really know about Aikido but I've heard it's similar to kung-fu.

Ok people nice to see the treath is getting very popular as this is a very delicate and intresting topic and thanx for all your many posts at start , i think vegan potter is quite right that you get many unrealistic training or bullshido masters out there in your dojo or gym but if i have to say mine i agree with Trev too that in the end every martial art is effective if trained with right spirit and master. Now you might find some that are less and some are more even couse what now days is street self defense found the place and time to modify for the needs of modern times , about the shaolin monks who are actualy vegan and zen as i heard on the National Geographic documentary on the Shaolin Temple they are for sure the n1 in ci focousing energy and mind and but will this really work in a street everyday scenario ? no so that's why even them had to adapt their style to modern mma ways if going in a real clash . But i want to focalize on this that there's a big difference from combat sports = ring made and martial arts that are made for self defense moastly war when weapons broke or run out of hand and over all where born for spiritual inner elevation .Sadely now days people expecialy in usa tend to think mma champs are good self defense experts but the reality is sadely different when they come to street safe experts . as street has surprise so the combat sport made to win stuff and $ will luck of the reality based surprise traning and the many sides blades guns mass attacks the modern self defense systems train for . One of the reasons i left bullshido site is couse they where mma fanatics denying the real spirit of martial arts and their purpose spirituality and comparing ring to street i think this video is a good example of what i mean on how who is good in ring usualy is bad in street as they are 2 different reality's http://it.youtube.com/watch?v=pNjvFuqpWNE .

Sorry for the big font it messed up as im at first posts , for I'm your man Aikido is a japanese martial art created by O 'sensei Morihei Ueshiba a shintoist japanese monk it's mainly focused on directing the oppenent energy to ubalance him that's why it's very effective high level and it's much focused on Ki the japanese name of Ci that is the chinese name for inner energy . Aikido takes it's roots from aiki-jūjutsu so basicaly judo jujustu and Aikido have same roots , you might want to check the most famous Aikidoka that is Steven Seagal that is a 7 dan Aikidoka and the only western man to open a japan dojo there , he was marryied to a famous japanese Aikidoka way back . If you want to know what aikido is more close too i think maby wing tsun and judo as they both tend to unbalance and use agressor energy vs them , but what differs Aikido from any art is that O' sensei wanted to creat an art of peace that's why Aikido is not brutal as all other styles and aims to just stop a fight with out usualy killing the attacker or even win it before it starts . I had a one month try in AIkido and found it a great expirience might do it when im over 40 back the pure Aikido belongs to the biggest federation founded by O'sensei that is called Aikikai but you have many styles of Aikido now days even ones that compete thing that O' sensei was totaly against . http://it.youtube.com/watch?v=herSynqVN3M True victory does not come from defeating an enemy, true victory comes from giving love and changing an enemies heart. Morihei Ueshiba

Ill reply now to what people told of jeetkunedo krav maga and wing chun as i come from a mma background i did a bit of everything moastly muaythai and jkd that is wing chun based im quite new and willing to learn krav maga. i do think this styles are the 3 top now days for self defense couse they focus on everyside of empty and non empty hand agression and teach you white and fire weapons plus the surprise effect as the mass attacks . But from my expirience and the times i had to street self defense there is not one style that works whatever it's this 3 or traditional styles and Bruce lee demostrated this when he invented jeet kune do to revolution the old days static and unrealistic going world of martial arts those days . So what i learned is that there is not one style that is perfect and wins them all there are some that are better some worse and they relative to the situation in what they work , but integration is what one needs once they found their style as this is jurney life many want to keep one style then integrate with others , others mix all their life but what ever you do i think only way to grow and walk safe is to mix and more you know better it is . If i had to go with a style regarding weapons i would go with this 3 check them out and tell me yours on it http://it.youtube.com/watch?v=A0Mg9Lcuyc4 http://it.youtube.com/watch?v=uVkHh6gehu4 http://it.youtube.com/watch?v=THCE25dqMM8 they are 1 Silat Suffian Bela Dir 2 kommando kravmaga 3 pekiti tirsia that are maby the 3 weapon combat systems more effective now days .

I fixed the size of your font in that post

I think that a lot of it depends on the teacher of the martial art. I know some places don't teach properly, and people get a black belt even though they still couldn't really defend themselves, they're just learning how to do stuff which looks like martial arts, rather than learning how to survive a real fight. But I don't know which martial art is the best defense, that's a tough question, I don't think there's any way to really test it and it has so many variables

I agree with what Richard said. There are many styles out there that can be taught in many different ways.

My instructor was a BB in Hapkido and Kung Fu so he tended to merge the two when he trained. I was more interested in learning the Hapkido. As i felt it would serve me better in law enforcement, even though i never went that route for a carrier. I felt that the way i was instructed was geared more towards real life. He taught brutal fight techniques for survival. I really enjoyed it when i was there.

I also did a fair amount of sparring, which is taught completely different than a real life situation.

-Ann

Personally, I think way too much emphasis is put on people's (often wrong) impressions of what makes a good "street" art. Just about every single martial art (I would say that tai chi, while it does have fighting applications, would be an exception) makes a good "street" art if you're trained properly.

You see, the problem is not generally with the art, but in how some modern teachers train the art. I don't know about in Europe, but in the states, there are many taekwondo and karate schools that are mostly about making money, not about actually training. That doesn't mean that taekwondo and karate and bad arts, or not effective, it means that people aren't being trained well in them.

That being said, I think krav maga would be widely recognized as one of the most self-defense, street-oriented arts in the world. But honestly, no matter what art you choose, your teacher is the most important thing to consider, and what type of art you're training is the second most important. But I'll take a traditional, tough, disciplined teacher in a "non-street" art any day over someone who doesn't train me hard in an art that purports to be better on the "street."

The most effective martial art for any situation is the one that a person has mastered more than his/her opponent has mastered theirs.

A person who knows boxing very well will kick the ass of a person who practices the most deadly form of Kung Fu once a week

As above. I would say krav maga has the best real world situations, and if you get a good trainer, they allow physical contact enough you actually feel in danger.

Other than that, the best self defense is not to get into the situation in the first place.

Ive been around so many masters, trainers, and people who have trained in martial arts for years and they told me whenever someone asks them whats the best way to stay protected or which martial art is best, they always say "Awareness and knowing how and when to run away."

As Trev said, unless your in a no way out situation to fight (in almost all isntances theirs a way out) Krav Maga, Aikido, Judo.

interesting post ; i've also trained in a lot of styles (wrestling, tai chi, reality fighting, kickboxing, shaolin kung fu, combat sambo, systema) and i believe the best style is no style.

the best move you use, may not be memorized, planned or choreographed, because you'll never know the circumstances and conditions... until it happens!

now, systema (which i trained in) has many skeptics and just as many proponents; in my experience, it was as close as i ever got to real world (short of being jumped).

i do remember talking with my teacher though and he said that all styles, irregardless of what they are, are hypothetical at best and that there was/is no best style.

because if you really trained with deadly intent and force, you or your training partners may not survive the training session...

i do like the above poster that mentioned running; sprinting is one of my top activities and i tell you what when you're talkin multiple attackers and weapons, i'll bust out right quick

in fact in any confrontation i'd prefer to be out before having to do battle unless it's my only choice (maybe all the yoga i've done is getting to me?)

that being said many martial arts are not defined as self-defense or fighting per se they are more survival systems and ways of life.

i resemble that; in other words, i want to go home at the end of the day and i want to live to see tomorrow

there is all kinds of info out there both pro and con but here's a great site: http://www.russianmartialart.com/ to get you started

i'm not sure where you're at, but there are classes and seminars all around the world and mostly all the "comrades" i met are very open and friendly and all around good people.

there is a great place here in NYC (i used to train there) that is great to check out martial arts in general; on any given night they may have a dozen different styles training: http://www.fighthouse.com/

there are videos on line that are showing it in a positive as well as negative light, but i recommend to experience it first hand in person.

the core principles of relaxation, breathing, posture, and movement are the same core of tai chi, akido and just about everything else that transcends time and generations.

what also attracted me to it is the "no memorization needed"; it's like jazz as opposed to classical.

and when it comes to feeling safe, that's the idea; you face your fears so they are diffused or greatly reduced at the least...

• 1 month later...

Ok, this is from a totally biassed background, (wrestling, lil Jitz) but I would say most likely BJJ is going to give you the best but, ... only slightly better than wrestling, and in many cases wrestling would be a lot better for a brawl.

Most fights go to the ground. A wrestler will stay on his feet and on top, not on his back.. If a wrestler with no BJJ gets into it with a BJJ guy,... the wrestler is toast (and this from a 10 year wrestler) , but anyone else, I think the wrestler has a better chance.

however... alot of BJJ guys might be in trouble if they get in a fight on concrete, gravel, pavement, bar floor, sidewalk whatever.. and immediately try to go to their back, you can get the back of your head pretty rattled that way. Not to mention, being on the bottom ... if multiple attackers come at you.. wrestling will not help you but if you're on top, you can get up and get away easier than if you're trying to break a guys arm from the bottom or choke someone out.

Obviously the safest combo for protection, avoidance, and defending anything, including multiple attackers is great stand up mui thai/kickboxing combined with takedown defense.

Best martial art of all though.. hands down... 2 on 1.

Haha, I have to agree with SportyDog. Boxing, Muay Thai, Wrestling, Jits...where it's at. I took ITF Taekwon-do for 6 years, which taught me solid linear striking and devastating heel kicks, but is in itself a very incomplete martial art. Since I began training MMA, my confidence regarding how I would actually do in a street fight has gone up immensely, as the well rounded and high stress training really prepares you for the chaos of an actual fight. I just hope if I do end up getting in a street fight that it happens on grass or that comfy rubbery asphalt....because I'd really like to win by triangle choke. Yeah, that would be SWEET.

I'm with ronnie on this. I'm into the Bas Rutten stuff. He's a big proponent of Krav maga. I don't practice much so i'm not much of a threat. May never be in that respect. The arts are cool all around though. I admire the discipline and the flexibility.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm with ronnie on this. I'm into the Bas Rutten stuff. He's a big proponent of Krav maga. I don't practice much so i'm not much of a threat. May never be in that respect. The arts are cool all around though. I admire the discipline and the flexibility.

I'm sure you've seen the Bas Rutten XTREME STREET FIGHTING VIDEO?!?!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQVaTEPOsTA

(part 1 of 11)

This shit is fantastic and hilarious.